Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Light My Fire - Key

burningbusch

Originally posted by soundscape:

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

Originally posted by soundscape:

You need a hook that people sing in the shower.

This is true.

I just posted about the Dire Staits song.

Now I can't get the damn thing outta my head. :rolleyes:

"I Want My MTV" ...That's a great hook.

dammit :mad:;)

:D

You got it... and I can hear that song instantly, from the that guitar riff (hook) through to "I want my MTV" (hook)... even though I haven't heard it in a while.

"Now look at them yo-yos. That's the way you do it. You play the guitar on the MTV..."

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dave Horne:

Sorry Dave.

Great rock and roll doesn't have to be well constructed, well produced, have great lyrics, harmonies, and structure.

On the other hand, Billy Joel has written many first rate rock and roll tunes - excellent lyrics (stories actually), well constructed tunes with harmonies that actually make sense.
That he has. (But it's just not clear from your posts just what you mean; the way they are written could easily dismiss Billy Joel, too.)

Originally posted by J_tour:

Camille Saint-Saëns [...] She was a fine keyboard player - organ and piano

She? Really?
http://bcev.nfrance.com/SaintSaens/Saint_Saens_2.jpg

:)

Why didn't anybody ever tell HER SHE needs a shave?

Originally posted by J_tour:

Camille Saint-Saëns [...] She was a fine keyboard player - organ and piano

She? Really?
http://bcev.nfrance.com/SaintSaens/Saint_Saens_2.jpg

:)

Why didn't anybody ever tell HER SHE needs a shave?

Originally posted by garrafon:

There is WAY more to music than structure, voicings, etc. There is power, emotion, danceability, etc. For those who cannot see beyond the numbers or, stated otherwise, cannot see the forest through the trees, I feel sorry for you, for you are missing out on one of the most amazing aspects of the musical journey.

[/QB]

:thu:

absolutely!

if you experienced some great moments in your

life in 60s and 70s then the sound of Doors, Zeppelin, Deep Purple etc are part of you memories and you always like them regardless if they were perfect or not in terms of musicianship.

that doesnt make them geniuses though...

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

Oh, now I get it.

I know. :)

And you've been pulling our leg throughout this discussion. But that's OK, Dave. It's been a lot of fun.

I do have a question though - when you were younger, which rock and roll concerts did you attend?

I'm asking because I really want to know. For if you've never attended a rock and roll concert, there's really no way you can understand what we're talking about.

But since you get it, I know you had to be there to hear The Stones, The Who, The Animals, Pink Floyd... which ones?

So, which rock and roll concerts did you attend in your youth?

Dave, you're such a kidder. :D

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

As I'm just 40 and therefore a very little kid when The Doors, Led Zeppelin, and Deep Purple were playing (and I didn't listen to them until I was in college), I think there's more to their music than just memories of growing up. I don't attach any such feelings to most classic rock.

Most people have strong feelings about songs they heard when they were in high school, and while I'm one of the few who actually liked high school (necessary to point out that I didn't have a bad high school experience and then just associate all music from that era to that), the following songs were big during my high school days:

Lady by Kenny Rogers

Bette Davis Eyes by Kim Carnes

Safety Dance by Men Without Hats

Tears for Fears

Culture Club

Human League

Air Supply

I'd type more, but I'm starting to get cringe already.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

Originally posted by stepay:

Check out me on keyboard playing Riders On The Storm with the band here - http://www.putfile.com/stepay/media

Note that it's a live version, so I hit a couple clams, but overall a pretty good recording I think.

Very Nice!

The bass player made far more mistakes then you... :thu:

The Big Spoon-Irish Funky Soul

www.bigspoon.ie

Camille Saint-Saëns was a man, I know. I was just wondering how many here knew that let alone ever heard of him. In addition to being an excellent composer he was a concert pianist and organist. (Those were the days when composers could actually perform at a concert level.)

Then again we have the famous writing team of George Gershwin and his lovely sister Ira.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

So, which rock and roll concerts did you attend in your youth?
When I was in high school I was working weekends with guys in their 40's and 50's. I didn't have time to go to concerts ... but I probably wouldn't have anyway.

I remember liking BST, Chicago, The Band ... I gave all the albums away. Someone is making a lot of money from selling pieces of vinyl.

(Which group sung One Toke Over The Line Sweet Jesus?)

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by mate_stubb:

Bette Davis Eyes by Kim Carnes

Thanks a lot, Stepay. Guess what song is rattling around in my head now? :evil:
Sorry man. Can't list great songs when I'm trying to make a point about bad songs.

If you REALLY need that song to get out of your head, go here - http://www.webhamster.com. Use extreme caution though!

Steve (Stevie Ray)

Originally posted by Paul Clancy:

Check out me on keyboard playing Riders On The Storm with the band here - http://www.putfile.com/stepay/media

Note that it's a live version, so I hit a couple clams, but overall a pretty good recording I think.

Very Nice!

The bass player made far more mistakes then you... :thu:

Thanks! I don't play it note for note, but then again, I pretty much never do. I fake it as best I can.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

As I'm just 40 and therefore a very little kid when The Doors, Led Zeppelin, and Deep Purple were playing (and I didn't listen to them until I was in college), I think there's more to their music than just memories of growing up. I don't attach any such feelings to most classic rock.

I'm about the same age, and was listening these

in early highschool.

So when you dance at school party with some blonde

listening to some X song you don't attach feelings to a song :freak:

strange

BTW that hamster song can't get out of my head now, thank you :mad:

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

Well here's somethin' I didn't know about the tune, but I did know the Doors were guys, dispite their hair. I think it's a well crafted tune, to tell you the truth. Nice changes and melody for me. It just works... but I'll admit I know nothing, just what I like.

NPR's Guy Raz talked with the three surviving membersof the Doors about their song Light My Fire. The song is part of the NPR 100, a list of the 100 most significant pieces of American music from the 20th century. Ray Manzarek, John Densmore, and Robbie Krieger, along with the late Jim Morrisson, came together in Venice, California in 1965, as the Doors. They had varied musical backgrounds and drew from a variety of influences, including jazz, blues, classical, British psychedelic rock, and the surf music of Southern California. Light My Fire was written and recorded in 1967. The sound wasn't conventional or definable as pop or folk or jazz or rock. And it was more than seven minutes long. Many in the music industry were convinced it could never be a success at that length. By July 1967, it was number one in America.

Originally posted by delirium:

I'm about the same age, and was listening these

in early highschool.

So when you dance at school party with some blonde

listening to some X song you don't attach feelings to a song :freak:

strange

BTW that hamster song can't get out of my head now, thank you :mad:

Delirium,

I went to two different high schools, graduating as an 18-year-old in 1985. The first high school was a Lynyrd Skynyrd, Bad Company, Pink Floyd kind of high school, and the second was Men Without Hats, Men At Work (actually I like them), Van Halen (like them too), Tears for Fears kind of school. Honestly never really heard The Doors, Zeppelin, or Deep Purple until I was in college. I was slow dancing in high school with the ladies to Journey, Air Supply, and Hall and Oates.

I just hated most of the music in the 80s. Wham!, Air Supply, Human League...good lord!

Steve (Stevie Ray)

The song is part of the NPR 100, a list of the 100 most significant pieces of American music from the 20th century.
Might it be possible to see that list posted?

# 12 Rhapsody in Blue

# 17 Light My Fire .... hmmmm :D

Hey, I told you to use extreme caution!

You are assuming that I'm listening to what you're telling me. :rolleyes: You should know me better than that, stepay.

damn freakin', squeakin', always poopin' hamsters. :mad:

Here, have a laugh on me: My, very cute, youngest daughter (who has her father wrapped around her little finger) convinced me to let her have a guinea pig... then another. That makes TWO!

I told her that it would be OK, as long as she would keep their cage clean.

:mad:

I clean the cage every Wednesday and Saturday. :rolleyes::mad:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

NPR 100 list

The NPR 100

The most important American musical works of the 20th century

ADAGIO FOR STRINGS, SAMUEL BARBER (prem. 1938)

AIN'T THAT A SHAME, words/music FATS DOMINO (1955); as performed by FATS DOMINO

ALEXANDER'S RAGTIME BAND, words/music IRVING BERLIN (1911); as performed by IRVING BERLIN

ALL OR NOTHING AT ALL, words/music JACK LAWRENCE/ARTHUR ALTMAN (1940), as performed by FRANK SINATRA and HARRY JAMES & HIS ORCHESTRA (1943)

APPALACHIAN SPRING, AARON COPLAND (1944)

AS TIME GOES BY, words/music HERMAN HUPFELD (1931)

BACK IN THE SADDLE AGAIN, words/music RAYWHITLEY/GENE AUTRY (1939); as performed by GENE AUTRY

BLOWIN' IN THE WIND, words/music BOB DYLAN (1962)

BLUE MOON OF KENTUCKY, BILL MONROE (1947)

BLUE SUEDE SHOES, CARL PERKINS (1956)

BODY & SOUL, instrumental version by COLEMAN HAWKINS (1939)

BORN TO RUN (LP), BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN (1975)

CHORUS LINE (musical), music MARVIN HAMLISCH/words EDWARD KLEBAN (1975)

COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER, LORETTA LYNN (1971)

CRAZY, words/music by WILLIE NELSON, performed by PATSY CLINE (1961)

DJANGO, music JOHN LEWIS; performed by MODERN JAZZ QUARTET (1955)

DREAM A LITTLE DREAM OF ME, GUS KAHN/WILBER SCHWANDT/FABIAN ANDRE performed by Kate Smith (1931); revived by Mama Cass Elliot (1963)

DRUMMING, STEVE REICH (1971)

FIDDLER ON THE ROOF (musical), SHELDON HARNICK/JERRY BOCK (1964)

FINE & MELLOW, words/music BILLIE HOLIDAY (1940)

FIRE AND RAIN, words/music JAMES TAYLOR; as performed by JAMES TAYLOR (1970)

FOGGY MOUNTAIN BREAKDOWN, music EARL SCRUGGS, performed by EARLE FLATT/ LESTER SCRUGGS and THE FOGGY MOUNTAIN BOYS (1949)

4:33, JOHN CAGE (1952)

GIVE MY REGARDS TO BROADWAY, GEORGE M. COHAN (1904)

GONE WITH THE WIND (film score), MAX STEINER (1939)

GOOD VIBRATIONS, THE BEACH BOYS (1966)

GRACELAND (LP), PAUL SIMON (1986)

GRAND CANYON SUITE, FERDE GROFE (1931)

GREAT BALLS OF FIRE, JERRY LEE LEWIS (1957)

THE GREAT PRETENDER, THE PLATTERS (1955)

GUYS & DOLLS (musical), FRANK LOESSER (prem. 1950)

HELLHOUND ON MY TRAIL, ROBERT JOHNSON (1937)

HELLO DOLLY (tune), words/music JERRY HERMAN; as performed by LOUIS ARMSTRONG (1964)

HIS EYE IS ON THE SPARROW, words/music C.D. MARTIN/C.H. GABRIEL; as performed by MAHALIA JACKSON (1958)

HOOCHIE COOCHIE MAN, words/music WILLIE DIXON; as performed by MUDDY WATERS (1954)

HOUND DOG/DON'T BE CRUEL, words/music JERRY LEIBER/MIKE STOLLER; OTIS BLACKWELL/ELVIS PRESLEY; as performed by ELVIS PRESLEY (1956)

I GOT RHYTHM, GEORGE & IRA GERSHWIN (1930)

I WALK THE LINE, words/music JOHNNY CASH; as performed by JOHNNY CASH (1956)

I WANNA BE SEDATED, THE RAMONES (1977)

I'M SO LONESOME I COULD CRY, words/music HANK WILLIAMS; as performed by HANK WILLIAMS (1949)

IN THE MOOD, words ANDY RAZAF, music JOE GARLAND (1939), performed/recorded GLENN MILLER & HIS ORCHESTRA (1940)

(GOODNIGHT) IRENE, words/music HUDDIE LEDBETTER (LEAD BELLY) and JOHN LOMAX (1950), as performed by THE WEAVERS

KIND OF BLUE (LP), MILES DAVIS (1959)

KING PORTER STOMP, JELLY ROLL MORTON (1924)

KO KO, CHARLIE PARKER (rec. 1945)

LA BAMBA, words/music WILLIAM CLAUSON; as performed by RITCHIE VALENS (1958)

LET'S STAY TOGETHER, words/music AL GREEN/WILLIE MITCHELL/AL JACKSON; as performed by AL GREEN (1971)

LIGHT MY FIRE, THE DOORS (1967)

LIKE A ROLLING STONE, BOB DYLAN (1965)

A LOVE SUPREME (LP), JOHN COLTRANE (1964)

MACK THE KNIFE, words MARC BLITZSTEIN (after BERTOLT BRECHT)/music KURT WEILL; as performed by ELLA FITZGERALD (1960)

MAYBELLENE, words/music by CHUCK BERRY, RUSS FRATTO, and ALAN FREED; performed by CHUCK BERRY (1955)

MOOD INDIGO, DUKE ELLINGTON (1931)

MY FAIR LADY (musical), LERNER & LOWE (1956)

MY FUNNY VALENTINE, music RICHARD RODGERS/words LORENZ HART (1937)

MY GIRL, words/music by WILLIAM ROBINSON and RONALD WHITE; as performed by THE TEMPTATIONS (1965)

NIGHT & DAY, COLE PORTER (1932)

A NIGHT IN TUNISIA, DIZZY GILLESPIE (1946)

OKLAHOMA! (musical), RODGERS & HAMMERSTEIN (1943)

ONCE IN A LIFETIME, THE TALKING HEADS (1983)

ONE O'CLOCK JUMP, COUNT BASIE (1938)

OYE COMO VA, words/music TITO PUENTE (1963); recorded by SANTANA (1971)

PAPA'S GOT A BRAND NEW BAG, JAMES BROWN (1965)

PEGGY SUE, words/music JERRY ALLISON/BUDDY HOLLY/NORMAN PETTY; as recorded by BUDDY HOLLY (1957)

PORGY AND BESS, music GEORGE GERSHWIN/words IRA GERSHWIN/DUBOSE HEYWARD (1935)

PSYCHO (film score), BERNARD HERMANN (1960)

PURPLE HAZE, JIMI HENDRIX (1967)

RAPPER'S DELIGHT, SUGARHILL GANG (1979)

RESPECT, words/music OTIS REDDING (1965); as performed by ARETHA FRANKLIN (1967)

RHAPSODY IN BLUE, GEORGE GERSHWIN (1924); orchestrated FERDE GROFE (1926)

ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK, words/music MAX FREEDMAN and JIMMY DE KNIGHT (1953); first recorded by BILL HALEY (1955)

ROUND MIDNIGHT, music THELONIUS MONK (1946)

(GET YOUR KICKS ON) ROUTE 66, words/music BOB TROUP (1946); performed by NAT KING COLE

ST. LOUIS BLUES, words/music W.C. HANDY (1914); as performed by BESSIE SMITH

SHAFT (single), ISAAC HAYES (1971)

SHOWBOAT (musical), HAMMERSTEIN/KERN (1927)

SING, SING, SING, words/music LOUIS PRIMA (1936), as performed by BENNY GOODMAN & HIS ORCHESTRA at Carnegie Hall 1938

SINGIN' IN THE RAIN (film musical), words/music ARTHUR FREED/NACIO HERB BROWN (1952)

SITTIN' ON THE DOCK OF THE BAY, words/music OTIS REDDING and STEVE CROPPER (1968); recorded by OTIS REDDING

SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT, NIRVANA (1991)

STAND BY YOUR MAN, words/music TAMMY WYNNETTE and BILLY SHERRILL (1968); as performed by TAMMY WYNNETTE

STARDUST, words MITCHELL PARISH/music HOAGY CARMICHAEL (1929)

SYMPHONY OF PSALMS, IGOR STRAVINSKY (1948)

TAKE FIVE, music PAUL DESMOND (1960); recorded by DAVE BRUBECK

TAKE MY HAND, PRECIOUS LORD, words/music THOMAS A. DORSEY (1932)

TAKE THE A TRAIN, BILLY STRAYHORN (1941), performed by DUKE ELLINGTON ORCHESTRA

TALKING BOOK (LP), STEVIE WONDER (1972)

TAPESTRY (LP), CAROLE KING (1971)

THIS LAND IS YOUR LAND, WOODY GUTHRIE (1956)

TOM DOOLEY (traditional), arranged by DAVE GUARD (1958); as performed by THE KINGSTON TRIO

THE VELVET UNDERGROUND & NICO (LP), THE VELVET UNDERGROUND (1967)

WARNER BROS. CARTOONS, music CARL STALLINGS (1940s & 1950s)

WE SHALL OVERCOME, words/music ZILPHIA HORTON, FRANK HAMILTON, GUY CARAWAN, PETE SEEGER (1960); believed to have originated from C. ALBERT TINDLEY'S 1901 Baptist hymn I'LL OVERCOME SOME DAY

WEST END BLUES, words by CLARENCE WILLIAMS/music by JOE OLIVER (1928); as performed by LOUIS ARMSTRONG AND HIS HOT FIVE

WEST SIDE STORY (musical), LEONARD BERNSTEIN/STEPHEN SONDHEIM (1957)

WHAT'D I SAY, RAY CHARLES (1959)

WHAT'S GOING ON, words/music by AL CLEVELAND, MARVIN GAYE, and RENAULDO BENSON (1970); recorded by MARVIN GAYE

WHITE CHRISTMAS, IRVING BERLIN (1942); as performed by BING CROSBY

WILDWOOD FLOWER, CARTER FAMILY (1927)

WIZARD OF OZ (film musical), words E.Y. HARBURG/music HAROLD ARLEN (1939)

The song is part of the NPR 100, a list of the 100 most significant pieces of American music from the 20th century.
Might it be possible to see that list posted?

# 12 Rhapsody in Blue

# 17 Light My Fire .... hmmmm :D

Is the list in ranking order?

http://www.npr.org/programs/specials/vote/100print.html

Anyway, those lists are always nonsense.

Archived