Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Light My Fire - Key

burningbusch

I'm curious as to what key people play Light My Fire. I learned it, back in the 1960s, in G (OK starting chord not necessarily the key). I recently picked up a Hal Leonard note-for-note book with very accurate transcriptions. They have it start in Ab. When I listen to the original recording it is in between, but actually closer to Ab.

What key for you?

Busch.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The song is in aminor intro starts on G. The recording was slowed down because it's the end of the tape, it's a mastering studio mistake that you hear it as Aflat because the musicians are playing in aminor. Learning and practicing Doors music by ear to CDs is often a nightmare thanks to the mastering mistakes of the 60s. The Doors never tuned down or up but always played in A440 tuning.

JH, keyboardist Doors tribute Peace Frog.

If you strip away all the repeated bits, there ain't much left ... there's almost nothing left.

G major for those very few times I would play it ... decades ago. I sometimes play it in stride but it's difficult to keep a straight face.

My son growing up (he was born in 1969) thought he discovered the Doors. He must have played those albums thousands of times. I've often thought that listening to that music for thousands of time could be cruel and unusual punishment.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

If you strip away all the repeated bits, there ain't much left ... there's almost nothing left.

G major for those very few times I would play it ... decades ago. I sometimes play it in stride but it's difficult to keep a straight face.

My son growing up (he was born in 1969) thought he discovered the Doors. He must have played those albums thousands of times. I've often thought that listening to that music for thousands of time could be cruel and unusual punishment.

Dave, I do remember your old posts about your 'love' for the Doors :D .

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

Yep. Seriously overrated if you ask me.

Then again we have the Keith Jarrett tribute to the Doors, so what do I know.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

so what do I know.

Is it Carole King-grade songwriting? I just listened to a few versions on iTunes. To be fair, I think half my problem with the original is that I don't like the arrangement, though I'm not convinced it's brilliant stuff, either.

Originally posted by soundscape:

Yep. Seriously overrated if you ask me.
Doors lyrics are even more overrated

Dont see much poetry there.

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

Originally posted by ewall08530:

I always did it in the original key.G

I never thought about the question of the key, I transcribed it for myself in Am years ago. It turns out its one of the few songs I transcribed in the right key. :rolleyes:

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Ray Manzarek left a body of work played by many and wasn't his main responsibility Rhodes Bass and organ? No strings, brass or shakahuchi. Damn... :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Originally posted by ProfD:

Ray Manzarek left a body of work played by many and wasn't his main responsibility Rhodes Bass and organ? No strings, brass or shakahuchi. Damn... :D:cool:

Yup. I have to agree.

Let's see. In my collection I've got:

Break on Through (to the Other Side)

Hello, I Love You

L.A. Woman

Light My Fire

Love Her Madly

Love Me Two Times

People Are Strange

Riders on the Storm

Roadhouse Blues

Strange Days

Touch Me

And those are just a few.

C'mon guys, these are classic R&R tunes. These tunes, for many of us, are tightly woven within the soundtrack of our life.

Everybody is welcome to their opinion, but my vote is that The Doors produced a sound that helped to define rock and roll.

Touch Me? Good grief, what a great tune. I still love it to this day. :thu:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by burningbusch:

I've always had a soft spot for the the Doors. Compared to the tons of completely vacuous shit (pick your poison) that has passed for music in the last ten years or so, they come off as musical geniuses.

Busch.

+1,000,000,000,000 :thu:

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Originally posted by burningbusch:

I've always had a soft spot for the the Doors. Compared to the tons of completely vacuous shit (pick your poison) that has passed for music in the last ten years or so, they come off as musical geniuses.

It's a song that's supposed to be a classic... so I'd look at it on those terms rather than in terms of run of the mill stuff. While the last 10 years--and particularly the last 5--have not been the best period for quality songwriting, there are still quite a few tracks that rank highly, if not first rate.

EDIT: Just to clarify, my comments in this thread are on the song "Light my Fire."

Back from a job and I managed to play the entire evening without playing a tune by the Doors.

.... they come off as musical geniuses.
Dick Cavette once made the comment .... setting your sights low ... and missing. If you think the Doors are geniuses, you need to get out more. Their music is very simple and repetitious ... and very simple and repetitious ... and simple.

I have a theory as to why certain groups are popular - it's because their music is so simple that all the 'garage' bands can easily relate to the bands in question. They can easily figure out the music and copy it themselves ... not too much work involved. (I'll take Blood Sweat and Tears any day over the Doors.)

Will someone here please do an analysis of Light My Fire and report back. This should be interesting.

Originally posted by dementedchord:

it's hard to think art and deal with the lowest common denominator....

(Why not the highest common denominator?) You're right, it's extremely hard to write a good song that's 'accessible' and 'connects' with a lot of people. As far as I can tell, the commonly held definition of art is akin to "taking a sh*t." It's whatever comes out. (It might not be sh*t, of course.)

Their music is very simple and repetitious ... and very simple and repetitious ... and simple.

The Doors are a classic rock and roll band.

Nothing more, nothing less.

I appreciate the music of Blood, Sweat and Tears. However, they are jazz/rock artists - not rock and roll. The Stones are rock and roll.

Rock and roll is not a genre that one can sit back and compare to jazz/rock. That's certainly an apples to oranges comparison.

Taken on its own, the songs I've listed above are classics in the genre of rock and roll.

Don't try to compare their work to anything out of the genre. That's senseless.

For those who appreciate rock and roll for what it is, and understand the reasons why it exists, The Doors' music certainly fits squarely in the genre.

The fact that The Door's music was significant in its time and continues to enjoy airplay today speaks volumes. What difference does it make if their music is repetitous or simplistic? None. When these songs were written and recorded were these guys striving to be known as geniuses? I think not.

To quote a famous rocker "It's only Rock and Roll, but I like it."

Comparing The Doors to Blood Sweat and Tears... Are you KIDDING me? :rolleyes:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Archived