Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Generic Mac Questions

gangsu

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been playing the Harp 1 preset. It's wonderful. The mod wheel gives me instant access to harmonics, damped articulation, quick repetition which is a cool effect on a gliss :D , and realistic sustain when set to zero. It's clear, from one end to the other. Hey, it sounds like a harp! I still can't believe it..... add the natural reverb of a concert hall and I'm with the angels.
"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Yeah, I would install that in the applications folder (if it didn't already). Basically, you want apps in the Applications folder, documents in the Documents folder, etc... Especially Applications as for many, particularly Apple apps, an updater (or Software Update) will look for them in the Applications folder.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Well, the player automatically went into the Apps folder. I just had to specify where to put the library. It's seems content where it is.

I can't play enough notes with the pedal down (which adds considerable sustain - geez it's made for a pianist) to get past 10% CPU usage if that means anything.

Hey I'm learning some harp terminology - 4 articulations with the mod wheel, which can be viewed in the control edit window (which is great, takes the guesswork out of finding the right position): 1. normal 2.mute 3.flageolette 4.bisbigliando

...all of which can be assigned to key switches

Originally posted by gangsu:

Hey I'm learning some harp terminology - 4 articulations with the mod wheel, which can be viewed in the control edit window (which is great, takes the guesswork out of finding the right position): 1. normal 2.mute 3.flageolette 4.bisbigliando

...all of which can be assigned to key switches

Care to share? What's flageolette and bisbigliando mean? :confused:

The prior looks like it might share the same root as flagelate, :idea: so I guess it might be a kind of striking/strumming technique similar to--but more forceful than--pizzicato. Am I way off? :eek:

With the software updates - I usually check www.macfixit.com before installing - they have a good roundup of potential probs within 24 hours of each release ;)

I used to love MacFixIt back when Ted Landau ran it. It was wonderfully terse and concise. Now it seems to ramble on with full quotes of reader experiences of every little detail and complaint they have. :bor:

Here's a tip I like to share with my fellow OS X users. I create a folder in my Applications folder called "Other" and install third party applications there when they let me (some apps install in Applications and their updates and such work better if they stay there). Then I can simply tell my backup software to backup this folder instead of all the Apple apps as well. It also makes it easy to just copy this folder if that's how you back up.

Another tip. Don't move Apple applications out of the Applications folder. When you do an update, it can get messy and confused if you do so. Leave 'em be.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Originally posted by dp2:

Care to share? What's flageolette and bisbigliando mean? :confused:

Hi dp2, sure I'm all into it. :)

flageolette - this is what I heard as harmonics.

bisbligando - It literally means whispering. It's like a tremelo on the string, the same pitch repeated.. on a piano, you'd alternate the octave. A way of building tension.

To stay on track, the MacBook doesn't appear to be over-taxed. What sorts of details would be of general interest? This is a library that takes up 16 GB's of real estate. I"m down to 39 available gigs. (I couldn't resist the JamPack orchestral, and am interested in the WORLD pack as well. Then I'll stop. Promise.)

HAH! - I had to switch my definitions. Told you I wasn't good with that kinda thing. Three edits later...

The prior looks like it might share the same root as flagelate, :idea: so I guess it might be a kind of striking/strumming technique similar to--but more forceful than--pizzicato. Am I way off? :eek:
Good guess. If you ask me, "tremelo" would best describe something called "flageolette". And harmonics sound more like "whispering", to boot. So I say No, it's the dictionary that's way off. :P:freak:

Is there a trick involved getting the Mac to recognize both external speakers (headphone jack), and a line-in source? I'm getting the message that it's either one or the other...

I'm toying with the possibility of not using an external soundcard on stage, but so far not it's not looking too good.

Originally posted by gangsu:

Is there a trick involved getting the Mac to recognize both external speakers (headphone jack), and a line-in source? I'm getting the message that it's either one or the other...

Trick? What trick? I use both the headphone jack (either to headphones or powered speakers or a stereo or ...) and line-in simultaneously all the time.

What message are you getting?

What exactly are you trying to do? I'm guessing you're trying to use your board as a MIDI controller to your new softsynths? Hmm ... I've forgotten (already) if your board had a MIDI port and whether or not you have a MIDI-to-USB (or similar) adapter.

If you're sending analog/audio from your board to the Mac through the line-in port, you'll only be able to add effects to it (flanger, EQ, etc.), not use it to drive your softsynths. You need MIDI for that.

Here's a couple of scenarios:

1. No externals connected: the AudioMIDI Setup shows either "Audio Out is not supported", or "Audio In is not supported". Setting the properties for one causes the other to disappear.

2. Keyboard MIDI-USB in, external speakers out: GarageBand instruments can be played and heard, but no VI harp. Opening the standalone brings on a warning window "Audio device is busy or not functioning at given parameters. Please, check program preferences". Checking preferences reveals an empty samplerate window. Mac Audio/Midi properties show built-in output: 44100.0 Hz, 2ch 24bit. Resetting to the same makes no difference. "Audio device" still "not functioning", and still no samplerate to choose.

3. Keyboard audio in (working cable), external speakers out: No sound. Check AudioMIDI setup. It's the same either/or situation as in 1.

It's not a major crisis, everything works as it should when routed through the PreSonus. But I'm overlooking something....

Archived