Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help me invent two new types of chords

Root

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Music seems to be complicated enough with 12 notes, a few chords and scales. :rolleyes:;)

But, I'd love to hear that S7b13#11 (Shearing chord) or Zdim/Wb9 (Zawinul chord) :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Luckily for us guitarists, the C augminished chord would be impossible to fret. Two guitarists could manage it, though, and sometimes I have heard stuff along those lines... most likely unintentional I would imagine!

(One kid I knew didn't understand the concept of modulation and would continue playing in the same key when the rest of the band modulated - with a blissful coprophagic grin on his face! Nice kid but somehow I never went out of my way to play with him!)

And I have heard some 20th century classical music with chords about that ugly! (No reflection on guys like Bartok and Messaien!)

Originally posted by kanker, apparently:

F demented -

F (probably needs to be held with a sustain pedal), then going up - Eb, G, A, B, C, D in the left hand, right hand Ab, Dd, E, Gb, Bb

f-me hey... f-you too LMAO..

from the too much info dept... the pedal rarely works as i'm a bi-pedal amputee :wave:

"style is determined not by what you can play but what you cant...." dave brubeck

There is, of course, the augmentation chord where a pair of notes are played abnormally loud, causing widespread distraction, especially among male listeners.

And if you find yourself unavoidably attracted to a young woman of questionable character who plays the augmentation chord for any and all listeners, you might find yourself in need of the Augmentin - (amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium) chord to cure your ills.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Originally posted by Blue JC:

What notes? All of them.

It already exists, in 2 main versions, spread all across the 88keys keyboard, it uses a mathematical sequence to use all 12 elements of the equal temperament. Those 2 chords are named "Mother Chord" and Grandmother Chord", coming from the studies of Nicholas Slonimsky.

I used the 2nd one in "Mea Culpa", the track n°9 of my last work, it has a strong tritonal feel (the presence of all the notes probably enhances the simmetries and the medium values) and it's very very psychotropic, in an obscure and daunting way.

It seems a bit OT in a demential harmonic research thread, but sometimes reality sounds weirder than you might expect...

Guess the Amp

.... now it's finished...

Here it is!

Originally posted by Root:

I think we ought to define ....."augminished" .....

I'd call augminished A. Holdsworth's symmetric scale, 2 semitones 1 tone 2s 1t.....more for it's geometry than its sound.

It's a strongly modulating sequence, if you do it in a static harmony it's awful, done as it should links different tonalities beautifully, I like it descending and starting from a tone interval.

More than playing it too long it can be used for few notes to shift the solo in a modulation with an amazing sense of fluidity.

Guess the Amp

.... now it's finished...

Here it is!

Archived