Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Herbie Hancock, Fairlight and Sesame Street

nursers

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cnegrad check it out, Stevie funks up Sesame Street

(Commerical? Raves were a business, you know...)
Well I know if you read the English Daily Mail around that time they made them out to be one big get together for nasty drug dealers to sell drugs to your kids but I think in spirit they were about dancing and listening to a new style of music whilst maybe being off your head on "the party atmosphere"

I've been to plenty of free parties round here where die hard new age hippies just put them on for the love of it. Ok, they might recoup a bit of their money on selling this and that but it's all good with me. If you're into rave there's actually an LFO video on Youtube, the infamous bass track LFO, computer subwoofers at the ready...

Originally posted by cnegrad:

Originally posted by Kayvon:

Cnegrad check it out, Stevie funks up Sesame Street

Cool; thanks! The clip of Stevie singing at Luther's funeral 'aint bad either!
Already copped that one! ;) Seems a bit morbid but it's interesting to hear Stevie do out and out gospel. Ok, he goes over the top trying to wring every last bit of expression out but i'm able to listen past that. I once nearly made it to the end of all the Stevie Wonder videos on Youtube but now I think you'd be there for days!

I remember seeing Herbie demonstrating a Fairlight at about the same time on the PBS program Reading Rainbow.

And again from the same time period, he used to host the show Rockschool (British made i believe but shown on PBS). Anyone remember that one?

I have all the episodes of Rockschool (2 series of 6episodes each from '84 and '87),however it was remade for US TV with Herbie Hancock I think as he appears only a few times in the episodes I have.

Btw.. the music played in Rockschool is incredibly bad... I mean really really really toe curlingly awful.. how come we didn't notice in 1987? ;)

look how far we have come.

I remember years ago seeing one of these shows and being blown AWAY by the Fairlight. now I listsen to this clips and say damn.... is that all it did :-)

rsp

richard sven

sound sculptist

Originally posted by zvenx:

look how far we have come.

I remember years ago seeing one of these shows and being blown AWAY by the Fairlight. now I listsen to this clips and say damn.... is that all it did :-)

rsp

It is interesting to consider that when Steven Kay ('inventor' of the Karma technology) was repeatedly asked if the OASYS sounded as good as his Fairlight, after several times discussing the superior features of the OASYS, he finally said that he thought it sounded as good:

"The Fairlight III was always one of the absolute best-sounding pieces of gear in the world, I believe. Should be for what it cost back then! I believe the OASYS is capable of sounding at least as good, if not better. But I haven't made a scientific comparison. To my ears, it has the same overwhelming impression of "great sound" - open and transparent. "

(http://www.sweetwater.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8207)

I do not intend this as a bashing or even debate over the OASYS (I've had positive things to say about the concept in a number of posts), and there are many huge strides in technology since the Fairlight heydays, but just to point out that the Fairlights were indeed capable of some great sounds.

The thing that does come across in this clip is a sense of excitement and wonder over technology, a sense of infinite possibilities. Yes it's funny in a way that some of this stuff is today quite standard or even archaic, but that sense of dreaming about future possibilities is something that I think we could use today.

The dreams are still alive and kicking. It's partly because of a few of my own dreams, that I acquired my keyboards (and other stuff). It's also partly because of a few of my own dreams, and the dreams of a few of you here have shared with us, that I remain inspired about various future possibilities.

Honestly, about a year ago when I started acquiring some new keyboard-related gear, I only intended to get back into shape to be good enough to play some background keys perhaps in a few studio sessions. I never envisioned being able to do some of the things that I'm doing now--at least for another 3 years.

As I've stated before, trumpet is my primary instrument. Believe it or not, I decided to also spend some time working on my piano theory to help me practice my sight-reading, to help me with my ear-training (especially for some chords that I can hear, but currently don't know exactly what to call them), and to help me with doing some arranging and writing.

Yet, something amazing happened. I practiced so much that I blew past my original goals about 2 to 3 years earlier than I thought I would. Time for plan B. Now, I'm chasing after bigger dreams. That's also where posts like this (and several of the other posts I've read in this Forum) come in. A lot of you all are doing some really interesting things, and whether or not you know it, you're definitely challenging/inspiring me to do things to play better.

From time I saw Herbie Hancock surrounded by his Fairlight (and all of his other keyboards on an album I don't remember the name of at the moment), I knew I wanted that sound. I was a kid then, so I obviously didn't have the money to get that kind of keyboard. So, when I had enough to get an Oasys, I pounced on it dreaming that one day I'd be able to come up with some funky tunes like Herbie that people will groove on. :) (And in case you're wondering, knowing that both Herbie and Jordan Rudess have one, did pique my initial interest in the Oasys.)

Lance! Great to see you.

Having had a ton of time on a Fairlight (series III) recently (I'm talking in the last few weeks). I can say that it definitely has an airy quality that I attribute to the quality of its convertors. Of course, it may be my romantic or nostalgic notions, but I haven't seen it replicated elsewhere, and I own the entire Fairlight factory sample library converted to Akai format. It's much more of a musical instrument than a Synclavier, which seemed like an audio SYSTEM, if you get my drift. Apples and Oranges, I know.

And Page R was really the precursor to every intuitive sequencer made since, and that impact cannot me overstated.

"For instance" is not proof.

Originally posted by zeronyne:

Having had a ton of time on a Fairlight (series III) recently (I'm talking in the last few weeks). I can say that it definitely has an airy quality that I attribute to the quality of its convertors.

Doesn't it have a separate D/A converter for each voice and analog filters?

Of course, it may be my romantic or nostalgic notions, but I haven't seen it replicated elsewhere

I'm not sure... I believe technical explanations can at least go some way towards explaining you'd get a better sound. I think particularly a lot of these software synths/samplers just don't seem to have all the little details taken care of, although in some cases the problems (aliasing) are obvious.

It's much more of a musical instrument than a Synclavier, which seemed like an audio SYSTEM, if you get my drift.

AFAIK the Synclavier was quite popular in sound design, Gary Rydstrom used it for Terminator 2...

Archived