Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I wanna play like Billy Payne.

shniggens

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Billy went to school just down the road from me in Ventura, CA, and I believe transferred to Santa Barbara HS for his last 2 years. Although I'm quite a bit younger, I had a cousin (now deceased) who went to Junior High with him and early High School in Ventura. He told me that even in Junior High, Payne was a ridiculously amazing player, skilled waaaay beyond his years. He mentioned being at a party when they were in 8th grade or so and he was wailing on some outside jazz stuff on the piano even then.

Even now I'd settle for being as good as he probably was at age 14...:)It would still be a step up...

BTW, has anyone heard his solo album Cielo Norte? Just came out last year.....

Originally posted by Roland Genske:

Originally posted by Ernie Rideout:

Lemme know if you want the MIDI files of my master class with Billy. It's pretty dang fun to slow 'em down.

best,

Ernie

oh YES, please :wave:
I would love these!!!!

I was fortunate enough to play a gig with Paul Barrere, and sat down the before the gig to try to cop as much as I could from the recorded versions. I think the thing that impresses me the most about Billy is his rythmic sense. The kind of thing where if you chart it, it looks silly, but if you just listen to it, it all makes perfect sense and seems effortless.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Originally posted by Steve Nathan:

As impressive as Mr. Payne's list of credits are, I sense that some of you are less familiar with Barry Beckett so I'm (hopefully) placing the URL to his credits on Allmusicguide.com HERE

You'll find the above mentioned Seger records mostly on page 2 (of 6).

As much as anyone, Barry Beckett helped shape me into the player I am today and I will always be grateful :wave:

Against the Wind was the single song that inspired me to play piano back when I was 13. I couldn't believe my ears when that song came out - such beautiful, tasteful and inspirational playing.

I still get chills today listening to that song.

Nicky Hopkins is my rock piano hero.

I have a framed picture of him hanging in my piano room.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Stimulated by this thread yesterday I revisited "Oh Atlanta" and belted away at what I could remember of it, wishing all the while that I could (a) sing and (b) sing AND play at the same time!

That night went out to a bar to hear a featured artist at the Annual Noosa Jazz Festival (Australia). The act was named "Wizard & Oz" and they were categorized as "Blues" in the program so sounds good enough to me. It's a BAR with MUSIC right? What's not to like? :D

W&Oz turn out to be a duo (!) playing piano (Roland something) and acoustic gat. They're doing a Pink Floyd medley when we arrive - "Shine On..." , "Dark Side...". I wouldn't say it's jazz, but it's good. Then they launch into "Oh Atlanta" with an extended piano solo by Wizard? Oz? who looks like a biker with do-rag, full white beard and forearms thicker than my thighs! He could sing way behind the beat while his left hand happily kept time on a boogie motif.

Good stuff.

"I'm well acquainted with the touch of a velvet hand..."

No one can learn to play like Billy Payne - you can learn some things from his playing and try to incorporate them into your own stuff. Best thing is to transcribe his solos and play along with his records.

Couple of big points about this solo - one of my all time favorites - his rhymic feel is incredible, that feeling of swing as a triplet pulse. A great exercise I used to do a lot was set a metronome to a moderate speed and listen to it and clap along with it in - you clap the "an" beat - start feeling triplets and let the metronome clap on the first triplet note you clap on the third.

Get the Tim Richards Blues book - a great resource for learning the blues style and the blues licks that are all through this solo.

Mark Levine's Jazz pianist book has a great chapter on the locked hands style that Mr Payne uses here - it is such a great effect.

The other thing to try to bring into your playing is the use of chromatics. I love the use of chromatics in this solo.

There is also a lot sixth's throughout the solo - man I wish I could like this guy - one of the best.

I also miss these great transcriptions in Keyboard. The new stuff is ok but I guess as an older guy I miss seeing the classic stuff transcribed. I used to play through Mercy Mercy Mercy, Linus and Lucy, those Doors solos. Great stuff.

Can't thank Eric enough for this blast from the past. I remember trying to work through then - never really could and probably still couldn't but it's fun to try.

Originally posted by RonL:

"man I wish I could like this guy"

From the overal tone of your post, I assume you mean "I wish I could PLAY like this guy". :D

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by gloverc:

Originally posted by Ernie Rideout:

Lemme know if you want the MIDI files of my master class with Billy. It's pretty dang fun to slow 'em down.

best,

Ernie

I'd love to check these files out. Anyone have them?
I see numerous posts referring to these MIDI files, but no link to the actual pot 'o gold. What must I do to receive that cherished instruction...??..within reason :-)
"I'm well acquainted with the touch of a velvet hand..."

Archived