Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How much would you charge to play for two hours...

Tupelo_Rod

... at a restaurant? It will be just instrumentals during the hours of 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM. I will be playing a grand piano and will not have to bring any gear of my own.

Thanks in advance,

Rod

"Those who don't believe timing is everything have never changed a diaper."

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always have a three hour minimum that I charge that gets you off the hook when you get hit with a one hour gig and they think $150 is too much. I strongly suggest a tip jar. I regularly pick up an extra $30 to $50.

Good luck with it.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

I ask 50 Euros per hour ($60+) with a minimum of three hours. If I have a more or less steady job I will ask less.

You also have to keep in mind the size of the restaurant and the price range of the menu. It can be difficult to gauge the best price to keep the owner happy and yourself as well.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

There was a Restaurant- Jazz Club, in Atlanta that opened several years ago. At first a regular meal from the menu was included for all the band members. Then bands trying to get the gig, told the mangement that for their band, food wasn't necessary. Poof... that was the end of the meals for everyone.....

There's a restaurant my band has played a few times that we likely won't play again, but we keep them in mind in case we sort of need a practice type gig.

They pay:

$100 flat

$25 in food (not drink) for each band member (it's a BBQ place)

100% of the cover ($3 per diner).

With the cover thrown in, it sounds good, but it really isn't. They only charge cover from those sitting right in front of the stage. Anyone at the bar or anyone in the large dinning room (about 100 people perhaps) is exempt from paying the cover! So, the first time we played there we expected we'd get about $400 total plus the dinners, but it turned out we got $151 plus dinner. Kind of lame, especially since they didn't tell us how the cover worked before hand.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

ok, we have 100$ for 2 hours, food,

drinks extra... how about chicks, are they free? :D

sorry couldn't helped it.

anyway good money, considering you have fun playing anyway. Rates almost like in IT :D

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

Originally posted by delirium:

ok, we have 100$ for 2 hours, food,

drinks extra... how about chicks, are they free? :D

That ain't workin' -- that's the way you do it

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

you should be keeping in mind that those 2 hours stop you generally accepting a 4 hour gig so charge accordingly

luckily the piano is supplied and that is worth something.

charge what you think your entire night is worth to you...unless you are grasping at whatevr comes your way...if you know that you would not be booked that night normally then you can be cheaper.

If you are a fulltime muso then the chances are youll be offered a 4 hour gig elsewhere...so why charge them less.

Yep, I do like that utopian approach. It would be nice to say I could be playing a different gig that night. The chances are few and far between that our band would be playing the same night I would be doing the piano deal. The owner wants me to do some week nights too... which is fine with me and certainly means it would not interfere with the band.
"Those who don't believe timing is everything have never changed a diaper."

ah weeknight gigs too...now you are talking a small / maybe residency,no lugging and a comraderie with the establishment...a deal could be struck that makes it sweet for both...especially with your situation on non clashing alternative gigs...then a lessor fee could seal a sweet residency.

hey where was that restaurant?

ill admit I played for less in my duo at one restaurant because they loved us,fed us and more importantly were SMOKE FREE>and that won me...in fact i looked forward to it. Less money didnt matter as the next day I didnt feel crook [ie sick].

the most important thing is where do you live?

you can't charge 100$ /hour if you live in ...i don`'t know,3rd world country

so,go to local musicians(bands,orchestras,solo entertainers) and ask them how musc thet charge.

thats how you`re gonna figure that out

To put prices in perspective, it's always good to ask a plumber or BMW mechanic what they earn per hour and use that as a bench mark.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I charge $60/hour if the tips are good and $85/hour if not. It usually works out the same. Three hour minimum. I always give it by the hour in case they want you to go overtime - never a flat fee.

I never eat when I play and there are plenty of people who want to buy you drinks so I never bring that up in negotiations. Why negotiate away what you will probably get for free anyway?

Also, be ultra-mindful and thoughtful of the bartenders, waitresses and servers and mention tipping them a lot. They will take care of you as well as you take care of them.

Remember, you tell the world what you're worth. If you go in on the cheap, you're telling the world that that is all you deserve and you will be treated like it.

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

Sounds like a nice gig. Two hours of work (if you call it that) for a meal, drinks, tips, house axe, and a C-note? Potential residency to boot? In absence of any confounding variable (e.g., excessive drive), I'm all over it.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

"Remember, you tell the world what you're worth. If you go in on the cheap, you're telling the world that that is all you deserve and you will be treated like it."

Preach Blue JC! This is gospel especially for anybody that has either just started gigging and/or contemplating it.

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Wow tips....whats that.

Im afraid our culture does not really experience that form of payment much.

WE have only picked up on it slightly because of all the American movies.

A waitress may be tipped at the end of a nighttime meal but not as a matter of coarse.[and usually just the change from a large note.]

.and regards to musos ....really never

unless at a drunken wedding or event where the alcohol had opened a punters wallet.

We do not expect tips as part of our payment here.... much to our pity,

although a solo pianist is more likely to have that look of needing tipping.[again due to the american movies and pianoman..."bread in our jar thing"]

A full on band is more likely to open a drunks wallet.But when that happens as it is so rare its a real treat.

No australian has to work for a meager salary plus tips...I spose thasts good as you know what your going home with but I guess tips do also show how popular you are in what ever field you work..Although the poor buggers working for Macca's really should be tipped as they make very little there.Damn that clown.

just thought this may be an interesting aside.

so come to australia for a visit....no doorman expects a tip in Australia unless they hear your American accent.

but whats a doorman anyway...havent seen one for years...it just isnt in our culture...do it yourself. tee hee

Agreed it makes you seem very generous.[and to your credit] but I guess we should be happy we have fair wages rather than relying on tips.

And I bet when Aussies visit America we seem very stingy [ie cheapskates]....but its just not in our culture...besides we are from convict stock arent we... tee hee

just my tip for the day.

I will work a deal for multiple night engagements particulaly for week nights. I look at the overall dollars, plus his regulars will keep asking for you back and that gives you a regular standing gig. And you can charge more for weekends. I now make more money playing solo on weekends than I do when my bands play.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Archived