Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Decision On New Keyboard Amp Needed!

Harvey K

Hi! Newbie to this forum so excuse me if this has been asked/answered recently.

I've owned a Peavey KB-60 for many years which I've used at home and for small, club things, but am now finding sporadic gigs at much bigger venues. So I need a more powerful, versatile amp.

I wouldn't say money is "no object," but it's not a major concern, AND I have a Guitar Center connection so I'll save serious bucks over even the best internet special.

On the other hand, I'm a weakling with a smallish car (Camry) and don't relish lugging a huge, weighty amp around.

Also: Don't care about stereo, effects, nor am I a "stickler" about "perfect" sound. Simply want it loud and distortion-free. But I do want a mic input, which I've never had, as well as RCA in for a CD player or equivalent.

Anyway, I just auditioned the Roland 550 and 350, as well as the Alesis Sumo 300 and the Crate KXB100. My analysis:

Roland 550: I like everything about it EXCEPT it's so freakin' big and heavy. Yes, it has casters, but no side handles. Can't imagine carrying this big boy anywhere. Have gigged with this before so I know it's more amp than I'll ever need.

Roland 350: More manageable, but no casters, and no XLR out, which is a shame. Direct boxes seem so "retro" now. Seems if I go Roland I may as well get the 550, right?

Alesis Sumo 300: LOVE the pullout handle, the casters, and the sound. A breeze to transport. BUT ... "300" is a joke. Absolutely NO power. Pretty sure my KB-60 could match it for sheer volume. I had it turned up MAX in the store and we were all amazed at its lack of power.

Crate KXB100: Absolutely LOVE the fact that it's shaped like a monitor, so no need to hoist it on a bar stool, etc. Plenty of power and features. Didn't sound as good as the Roland but good enough. However, no casters nor handles. I'm very tempted to get this but don't know much about it (reliabilty, for example).

Bottom line is everything's a compromise (wah!). Any input would be greatly appreciated. Key is I need to make this purchase within the next few days -- have a big gig coming up. Thanks!

(Oh, I play an Alesis QS-7.)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I owned a KC-500 back in the day which was cool but I sold it. Recently played through a KXB100 which was alright but it couldn't really handle the low end of a S90ES.

Check out a powered PA speaker. The JBL EON series has everything you need i.e. 1/4 input, mic input, RCA input, can be positioned monitor-style, etc. Yamaha, Peavey, EV, make a similar box. Good luck.

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I like the JBL EON 15 G2

Originally posted by Big Bird:

Hi! Newbie to this forum so excuse me if this has been asked/answered recently.

I've owned a Peavey KB-60 for many years which I've used at home and for small, club things, but am now finding sporadic gigs at much bigger venues. So I need a more powerful, versatile amp.

I wouldn't say money is "no object," but it's not a major concern, AND I have a Guitar Center connection so I'll save serious bucks over even the best internet special.

On the other hand, I'm a weakling with a smallish car (Camry) and don't relish lugging a huge, weighty amp around.

Also: Don't care about stereo, effects, nor am I a "stickler" about "perfect" sound. Simply want it loud and distortion-free. But I do want a mic input, which I've never had, as well as RCA in for a CD player or equivalent.

Anyway, I just auditioned the Roland 550 and 350, as well as the Alesis Sumo 300 and the Crate KXB100. My analysis:

Roland 550: I like everything about it EXCEPT it's so freakin' big and heavy. Yes, it has casters, but no side handles. Can't imagine carrying this big boy anywhere. Have gigged with this before so I know it's more amp than I'll ever need.

Roland 350: More manageable, but no casters, and no XLR out, which is a shame. Direct boxes seem so "retro" now. Seems if I go Roland I may as well get the 550, right?

Alesis Sumo 300: LOVE the pullout handle, the casters, and the sound. A breeze to transport. BUT ... "300" is a joke. Absolutely NO power. Pretty sure my KB-60 could match it for sheer volume. I had it turned up MAX in the store and we were all amazed at its lack of power.

Crate KXB100: Absolutely LOVE the fact that it's shaped like a monitor, so no need to hoist it on a bar stool, etc. Plenty of power and features. Didn't sound as good as the Roland but good enough. However, no casters nor handles. I'm very tempted to get this but don't know much about it (reliabilty, for example).

Bottom line is everything's a compromise (wah!). Any input would be greatly appreciated. Key is I need to make this purchase within the next few days -- have a big gig coming up. Thanks!

(Oh, I play an Alesis QS-7.)

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

Hey! Welcome to the forum!

Never been a fan of the "keyboard amps." A quality powered speaker will cost you about the same amount of $$$. Also, a powered speaker will have better frequency response, giving you a much better sound. Not only that, they respond much better to high-volume playing.

I frequently use a 400-watt Yamaha MS400 speaker, and I can't recommend them enough. Even, crystal-clear sound (the highs don't get shrilly at high volumes) and enough power to blow the doors off any venue I've played in (venues that don't have a PA, that is). It's awesome as a monitor, and has an XLR output. It's got more power than anything on your list, and at $500-600 (don't remember the exact price), it's right in your wheelhouse pricewise. One drawback: only a single 1/4-inch input, but a little $30 mixer will solve this problem. Oh yeah, it's got handles too. :thu:

You might also try doing a forum search to check out some other options. Amplifiers have been discussed quite a bit around here. JBL and Mackie also make quality powered speakers.

Wow, thanks for the quick replies! In the interim I did indeed discover the forum search feature and my eyes are blurry from reading all the amp discussions/debates! (Or maybe it was the tequila ... hard to tell.) It's been so long since I was in the market that I was unaware powered speakers had become so popular (and available). The last time I was gigging regularly was 25 years ago, so that may have something to do with it! :-) Back then I lugged around a separate mixer, amp, and speakers, not to mention the Hammond M3 and Leslie, some Canadian acoustic electric that weighed 4,000 pounds, and a Micro Moog (damn, could never afford the Mini). There were also Rhodes, Wurlitzers, Farfisas, etc., along the way. (Would LOVE to have some of those back.) Anyway, thanks so much for the advice!

There are also those who love Motion Sound amps. The fact that one amp plays in stereo is cool. I tend to like the powered PA set up. That will be my next big purchase unless something else comes along.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Originally posted by daviel:

You know, in addition to my other comments, I'd always wanted to try out the Barbetta with 2 10" speakers.

I use the Barbetta Sona-Elan SE-32. My preference was for this model (as opposed to the one with the two 10" speakers) because it has a 15" speaker for enhanced low end. This is a very loud amp.....I mean it really packs a punch....excellent for playing live. It has four channels, a global EQ (Lo-Mid-Hi), and EFX send/return. Relatively small size to boot. Liked it so much, I now have two! Somewhat pricey, but I strongly recommend it, without reservation.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Archived