Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Piano players, check dis out...

Tedster

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seamus, I just watched it, excellent!

When I first heard ragtime music I had an epiphany. (I see you have more than 25,000 posts. You must have been one of the first here?)

Do you have any information about his instrument? Can you actually buy something like that? A bass player friend of mine is a host on a jazz program here in Holland (Radio 4), and I'll pass that link onto him.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Yeah, the guy rocks. I just got turned on to the video over on the Harmony Central guitar forum...thought I'd share it, and thought that you keyboard guys might get a kick out of it too.

I'm not sure about his doubleneck guitar. Looks custom made to me.

I was probably one of the earlier ones here...and just wordy, y'know... ;) I hang out on the guitar forum primarily, and used to hang out on Craig's forum when it was here.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Seamus O'Tedster:

I'm not sure about his doubleneck guitar. Looks custom made to me.

Yeah, I've never seen one like it. Is the string order reversed on the second neck? I need to find a way to slow this video down to see what he's doing.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Actually he is playing the melody on the upper neck (tapping on the frets, a la Stanley Jordan) and at the same time is comping on the lower neck; what's really amazing to me is the complete indipendence of the hands. :thu:
Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Geez, Dan, so HERE'S where you've been hiding!!! :D I think it lists his home page...you might be able to get some info on his guitar there. It's obvious it's a bit of a different doubleneck, as the top neck is designed to be played "overhand". There's not really enough room between the necks to properly fit a hand in there. Makes you sort of wonder if it needed to be a doubleneck at all, or if one really wide neck would have fit the bill just as well.

Originally posted by Dreamer:

Actually he is playing the melody on the upper neck (tapping on the frets, a la Stanley Jordan) and at the same time is comping on the lower neck; what's really amazing to me is the complete indipendence of the hands. :thu:

Errr, isn't that what we do when we play it on a keyboard? :D

As to the hand position he is using (over the fretboard with his right hand) he's playing the instrument exactly like a Chapman Stick. Having fooled around on one, I can tell you that if you are gonna tap, it feels natural.

In fact, what he has essentially done is build himself double neck Chapman Sticks, with the added benefit that he doesn't have hand collision problems.

Moe

---

Originally posted by mate_stubb:

Errr, isn't that what we do when we play it on a keyboard? :D

Of course! But it's much less common to see the same thing done on a guitar, and the way he does! What you can see, usually, is a classically trained guitarist playing the melody while at the same time comping on the same neck (meaning the same six strings), but you have to admit that what Adam does takes this concept to another level. The thing that amazes me most (and had me make the remark about his indipendence) is the different technique he is using with the two hands. What would you think of a pianist who plays fast runs with the right hand, while at the same time plays with the left hand a countermelody, on a keyboard which is turned upside down? :freak:
Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Thanks for the clip. I have a co-worker that just started playing the guitar, and I e-mailed him the link. I told him he had about two years to get to that level....................NOT!!

Thanks again. :thu:

Erlic

Originally posted by Dreamer:

What would you think of a pianist who plays fast runs with the right hand, while at the same time plays with the left hand a countermelody, on a keyboard which is turned upside down? :freak:

Well as I said, I got to fool around with a Chapman Stick off and on for several weeks once. It was during a stint working at a music store which had one in stock.

As a keyboard player, it felt pretty darn natural. You have to make the mental switch to having one hand upside down, but at the time I felt like "yeah, I could master this in a couple years".

In fact, I would guess that a keyboard player could make the transition to this technique easier than somebody whose first instrument is guitar.

Moe

---

Impressive, but that rag sure does sound better played on a piano! Not just better tone, but better dynamics.

Funny thing about hand independence. IMHO, the thing that separates the men from the boys on guitar is left-right hand coordination, not independence: if your right hand isn't plucking in extremely precise cooperation with the left hand, it sounds like crappola. I'm talking about very precise timing: plucking at the same time the finger presses the fret (among other things and it's a lot more complicated than it seems -- just ask any guitarist good enough to HEAR it but not quite good enough to PLAY it. Of course, there are plenty of folks who can play it but have little idea all the stuff they're doing.)

I find it a lot harder than coordinating closely on piano. Believe it or not, there's a lot more tolerance on the piano (except at the master playing level, of course).

Very nice.

The problem with this instrument though, is that there ain't no dynamics possible. To get dynamics, you'd need to build some sort of hammering mechanism that is velocity sensitive. Then you'd need a trigger for the hammer. I guess you'd call that trigger a "key." Hmmmm . . . .

:D

Hmmm. I seem to remember that the Stick had plenty of dynamics. It had specially wound super sensitive pickups though.

There's no reason you couldn't have dynamics from a string striking a fret - after all, the keyboard version is pretty dynamic (clavinet).

Moe

---

Disadvantage...you only really have eight fingers to play with...if you do it this guy's way...the thumbs don't do much.

Advantage...let's see you guys put vibrato on a piano... :eek::D

Originally posted by mate_stubb:

I got to fool around with a Chapman Stick off and on for several weeks once. It was during a stint working at a music store which had one in stock.

Me, too...exactly. We took one in trade, and during the few weeks we had it I had a ball with the thing. :cool:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I played one for a while a long time ago....the reverse tuning in the bass strings is actually very natural, and I agree that the technique translates easier for a keyboardist as opposed to a guitarist. You have to use a lot of distortion to make leads sound good, though- I never really liked the percussive tone in a clean setting (except in the bass).

Can't forget Stanley Jordan. He was also doing the 2-handed tapping a while back. Saw him at a NAMM show in Atlanta years ago... very impressive.

Always wanted to learn to play the Chapman Stick. A friend in Boston has one of the older wood Sticks. They're definitely a blast.

Looks likes Adam Fulara's guitar was made by a company called "REK Guitars" in Poland. They refer to the model and the tapping technique as "portato". There isn't enough space between the necks to play it normally. A closeup of the head stocks looks like they're strung as usual.

(off topic, sorry)

David Bryce... a quick hello from an old Boston Wurlie's (in the "old" days) and Sweetwater employee (when you were with Alesis). You probably wouldn't remember me (beard, not much hair) :) , but it's good to see you're around and your energy level is still over the top!

For you folks who haven't met Dave, he's one of the most energetic and infectiously upbeat people I've ever known.

- Jack Colburne

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

And now for a brief selection for the classical afficionados in the audience. :eek:

Thanks for the link, Seamus. Always great to see new inspirations to kick us in the butt to get back to practicing. :)

OK, I enjoyed the Joplin piece but the Bach thing was just freaking incredible!! I often play that first variation a few times to warm up for a gig, but seeing it played on guitar was just.... amazing!!! :eek::eek:

Kirk

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Archived