Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2006-2007 Thread

Dave Bryce

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanx for those clips Gov..

Damn, Singletary looks like he could put on a uni and go take out a runnin back right now! He 'media's' very well, very impressive.. very Colin Powell-esque. My bet is he's one of the 1st coaches hired next year, but probably not this year. We'll see.

TROLL . . . ish.

Quote by ProfD

------------------------------------------

Even with coaches moving on to other jobs, I believe Marty had a better chance of taking the Chargers back to the playoffs.

Now, whoever gets the HC job not only has a huge task of assembling a high caliber staff but also maintaining the continuity of what the Chargers talent has in place already.

Let's hope Spanos and Smith did not allow their egos to tank a team on the verge of going all the way.

------------------------------------------

I think Marty is a great coach. The only thing I don't understand is why he let some of his players to continue making stupid penalties when they were clearly dominating the game against New England. If they kept their heads screwed on straight, they might have run the Patriots right out of the stadium. Those players cannot be allowed to get away with that crap. A HC needs to sit down players that commit unnecessary roughness penalties and other childish bull shit.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Videos of Rex Ryan and Norv Turner have been uploaded to the video page, at the URL previously mentioned above.

To me it's a tie between Ryan and Singletary so far. Turner didn't change my mind. Rivera gets his shot tomorrow.

It just makes me sick to see the Charger's Organization make these kind of moves. They build themselves up to some level of respectability and then they go ahead and basically shoot themselves in the foot in my opinion. I think Norv Turner's win loss record speaks for itself and with just a single playoff appearance in 9 years to boot. At least Marty had a better than 50% average for wins over his career. In fact he is the winningest active head coach in the NFL. It has also been rumored that Marty planned his own firing because of his abrasive relation with A.J. He couldn't stand the guy and he wanted out of the organization altogether and his actions, they say, have precipitated his firing. It's a sad day in San Diego, CA.

PS: I hope Norv can prove me wrong but as it stands now I think the Chargers will be fortunate if they break even next season. If they can eventually re-group and recoup from their misfortunes they might stand a chance of making the playoffs again down the road.

Mike

Appreciate the condolences. :(

I really, really want to give Norv a chance this season, but I'm not feeling it right now. :(

Ted Cotrell as new DC makes some sense, as his understanding of the 3-4 is similar to Wade's. Not excited about him either, but not as depressed by the HC hiring.

Ron Rivera being hired as new LB coach puzzles me almost as much as the HC hiring. He willingly accepted a demotion from DC? We must have made him one hell of an offer, especially knowing not only will he have to report to a guy who beat him out as HC, but he'll have to take orders from another DC. My guess is we promised to groom him as Norv's eventual replacement.

Well, I'll be....Norv got that job? :eek:

A nice contract and ascension to HC in the future had to be the motivation for Rivera joining the staff. Otherwise, I don't get it.

Gov, let's hope the team talent will carry the Bolts back to the playoffs. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Appreciate the condolences. :(

I really, really want to give Norv a chance this season, but I'm not feeling it right now. :(

I know the feeling - when he came aboard as Raiders HC, I had similar reservations which unfortunately turned out to be pretty well founded. :mad:

The Chargers are the only other AFC West team I like, so I share your disappointment.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

The Chargers are the only other AFC West team I like, so I share your disappointment.

+1.

After hearing the news about Norv's hiring, I walked over to the grocery store, where one of the clerks is a huge Bolts fan.

"Hey," I said, "Your team hired a coach."

"Who?" he asked, expectantly.

"Norv Turner," I pleasantly replied.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" he screamed, so loudly that he frightened the ladies 50 yards away in the produce department. Then he dramatically fell down to the floor, pretending to sob. At least I think he was pretending; I walked away to leave him alone in his grief.

- Jeff

Jeff, that was cruel. :D

Seriously, I do not believe the Bolts are worse off with Norv. If he had inherited an under-performing team i.e. the last 2 campaigns, I would know what to expect.

Now, if he Fs up this steel ball with his paper hammer, I hope that he is forever banned from being a HC. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

If I hadn't lived through the Norv era as a Raiders fan, i wouldn't have felt entitled. :D

Seriously, I do not believe the Bolts are worse off with Norv. If he had inherited an under-performing team i.e. the last 2 campaigns, I would know what to expect.

Now, if he Fs up this steel ball with his paper hammer, I hope that he is forever banned from being a HC. :cool:

I'm afraid that he actually WILL screw up this opportunity. If not, good for him; he seems like a nice guy. But if I had to wager on it, I could see the Bolts going from 14-2 down to 8-8 simply by placing a kind of weak and wishy-washy guy in a field general's position.

- Jeff

I could see the Bolts going from 14-2 down to 8-8 simply by placing a kind of weak and wishy-washy guy in a field general's position.

You will see it happen. :(

Norv has proven to be a poor HC not once, but twice. I have no idea what the Bolts management is thinking here.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

If I hadn't lived through the Norv era as a Raiders fan, i wouldn't have felt entitled. :D

I'm afraid that he actually WILL screw up this opportunity. If not, good for him; he seems like a nice guy. But if I had to wager on it, I could see the Bolts going from 14-2 down to 8-8 simply by placing a kind of weak and wishy-washy guy in a field general's position.

- Jeff

Yep Norm is going to screw what they have got in San Diego big time. Seeing Rivera as LB coach tells me the Chargers may have little faith in Norv and this could be a quick turnover should things go astray. You don't have the window open for too long in the NFL. You have take advantage of it while you can.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Man, the Fearsome Foursome were great. They were a real treat to watch.

Agreed. Deacon Jones and Rosie Greer were ferocious. Merlin and Lamar were no slouches either. I loved watching them attack.

It might just be me, but the defensive players of those days seemed larger then life. They appeared to be tougher than the guys playing today. Ray Lewis is probably the only player today who reminds me of the throwback days.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

Man, the Fearsome Foursome were great. They were a real treat to watch.

Agreed. Deacon Jones and Rosie Greer were ferocious. Merlin and Lamar were no slouches either. I loved watching them attack.

It might just be me, but the defensive players of those days seemed larger then life. They appeared to be tougher than the guys playing today. Ray Lewis is probably the only player today who reminds me of the throwback days.

I know what you mean -- today's defenses don't seem to put the fear of God into quarterbacks like they used to. Then again, there have been a lot of rule changes since those days that favor the offense. You have to be more careful about how and when you tackle the quarterback, for example.

Also, when you're a kid -- as I was during that era -- NFL players are literally giants in comparison. Now that I'm middle-aged, even the guys on the verge of retirement seem young. I'm still awestruck by great talent, but it's a different kind of awestruck than I was as a child.

Back then, Deacon Jones was my football hero -- the inventor of the football definition of the word, "sack" -- and no other defensive front four could rival the Fearsome Foursome.

Lamar Lundy, R.I.P. :(

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Did you guys hear about the Denver RB that died in the chairty basketball game when he collapsed? Two Broncos die in such a short time, that has to be hard on the team. Maybe it will motivate them for this upcoming season.

Sad news.

There's sure been a lot of upheaval in the AFC West.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Um, so WHY is Lovie Smith not resigned yet? Anyone know?

Also, did Lovie "fire" Rivera as a contract negotiaion tactic, so the Bears front office couldn't use Rivera as a negotiation tool? That's one rumor I've heard.. What the hell is going on in Chi?!

TROLL . . . ish.

mecca, I wondered about Lovie's contract situation here a little while ago. Took a wait and see approach.

It is unfortunate Da Bears let Rivera go and I hope that was not a factor in Lovie's new deal.

In other news, it appears Redskins One (the plane) is already in Buffalo. They are talking to London Fletcher-Baker (when did he hyphenate his name?) and Nate Clements.

Well, they are not the first (2) free agents I would have considered, however, the Skins do need to shore up at LB and CB in addition to DE and S.

Also, party boat man (Fred Smoot) could be another free agent target as sources expect the Vikings to release him.

The Ravens released Jamal Lewis? :confused:

Actually, considering he would have received a total of $10M in 2007 and did not gain 1k yards last season, it is not rocket science. This must be the Ravens way of restructuring his contract.

Guess we can start shuffling our rosters as we will see lots of movement towards the 2007 season. :cool:

PD

Yep Profd, it's that time of year..

Looks like Joe Horn and Joey Porter were released. Apparently Horn didn't want to renegotiate and the Steelers just couldn't afford Porter's upcoming roster bonus and coming season's salary. Porter's still very viable, be interesting to see who grabs him.

TROLL . . . ish.

Archived