Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2006-2007 Thread

Dave Bryce

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

* sigh *

And another season bites the dust.

At least we had an exciting comeback by the NFC to make the Pro Bowl into a game instead of the laid-back party it usually is.

Bill Belichick's face said it all -- smiling through most of the game and frowning in the fourth quarter.

Nice to see Tiki Barber get one more touchdown before calling it quits, and I loved Devon Hester's final punt return and Chad Johnson's 42-yard touchdown reception from Carson Palmer.

As always, it's been fun sharing this time of year with you fine folks. Here's to a great 2007 season ahead. :thu:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

The Pro Bowl was a lot better than I expected especially down the stretch. What a time to draw a pass interference?!

I also look forward to 2007-2008 season with the KC football crew. Guess there will be a new thread so that we can starting discussing off-season developments, draft, training camp, etc. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Guess there will be a new thread so that we can starting discussing off-season developments, draft, training camp, etc. :cool:

Yeah, this thread began on 2/28/06. I imagine Dave will give us a week or two to finish discussing the season-that-was before he starts the season-that-will-be thread. ;)

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Hey gents,

The probowl was exciting indeed. Good game and got really good down the stretch. I have some other thoughts regarding next season and the draft but I'll wait for the new thread. To echo the statements already made, I had a great time this year on this thread and I'm looking forward to next NFL season.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Be careful asking about the next thread for the new season.. As a fair warning, you guys may not be too happy about what you're gonna see there, time and time again, all season long. Or at least until db bans me. :cool:

A small but forboding preview--

http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/apmegasports/200612171652607428336-pf.widec.jpg

TROLL . . . ish.

Fellas, I have absolutely no problem discussing football all year round in this thread or the next. MJ bring it on!

I guess we will continue using this thread until the new one is started.

Can San Diego get back to the playoffs with a depleted coaching staff and a lame duck head coach?

Did anyone think Sean Taylor's hit on the kicker was over the top during the Pro Bowl?

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Yeah ProfD, that hit was a lil over the top as you mentioned. It does seem we get one hit or one defensive player every year in the PB playing a notch higher than the rest of the guys.. For what reason I dunno, maybe they're just thinking sportscenter, maybe something more malicious.
TROLL . . . ish.

Yeah, I'm all for keeping an NFL thread going all year 'round. The NFL likes that too. I'm wondering just what will happen with my Steelers in the coming year. New coach, several of Cowher's men departed for greener pastures. Many people are speculating the Bill Cowher will be coaching in Cleveland when he comes back to the NFL. I don't think his wife would go for spending anytime in Cleveland. North Carolina is SO much nicer than the rust belt. I don't think she was too happy living in Pittsburgh, much less spending any time in Cleveland. It may be one of the first times an NFL front office will have to negotitate with an NFL coach's wife in order to get him to coach for them. I heard that "she wears the pants" in the Cowher family.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Considering the kicker took it in stride, I don't think ST's hit was malicious. Surely, he could have pulled up instead of launching himself. :cool:

PD

Before we start next years thread let's take a look back at some memorable predictions from the start of this year's thread. Some good, some not so good. Can't wait for this years predictions to start.

I like Art Shell. He certainly has what it takes to deal with Al Davis. It remains to be seen, however, how he'll handle the new salary cap football era.

Vince Young really should be the first Texans superstar. I hope so, anyway.

Sure, Pittsburgh could repeat; but I put the odds at less than 50/50: too much parity and competition.

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

Vince Young really should be the first Texans superstar. I hope so, anyway.

No sire, Put him in Titan's Blue!!

Steve McNair V2.0 :D

On the plus side, the Lions actually might benefit from other's pain this year, having about a $12-13mil cushion....interesting. I feel a light Brees from the south. :D

Well, free agency kicks off today. I've got three predictions...

1. Culpepper goes to Oakland and makes nice with Randy. The Raiders try to keep Collins around until Daunte recovers.

2. Brees goes to Miami. Lots of teams have interest, but Saban and warm weather score the deal.

3. Giants grab LaVar Arrington, teaming him up with good buddy and fellow former Skin' Antonio Pierce.

I'm hearing the Raiders are making a huge push for Vince

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

So, where do you guys think TO will land?

The only possible place I see is Dallas. \

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

AJ Smith is the Chargers' GM, but Dean Spanos is the Chargers president with ultimate power to hire and fire Marty. I find it hard to believe that the departure of 4 assistant coaches is the primary catalyst for Dean to decide to fire Marty.

That AJ and Marty have been at odds since 2005 has been no secret. If Dean was forced to choose between AJ and Marty, AJ - the man who built up the Chargers from a laughingstock in 2003 into a team with 3 straight winning seasons - is the sensible choice. What I question is the timing of this decision.

The departure of Wade Phillips to Dallas pretty much ruins the theory of Wade being AJ's man all along. We'll see if AJ is as good at picking a head coach as he has been at picking players.

AJ Smith got upset with Marty "allowing" his coaches to interview for other jobs "with his blessings". Marty knows that the usual way for an assistant to take a step up to a coordinator job is to interview with another team. Dean Spanos didn't like Marty's attitude about it. Then, after so many of the coaching staff bailed, Smith and Marty couldn't agree on replacements for them. So, Marty's GONE. Too bad, I think he's great coach, he just hasn't been able to "win the big one", yet.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I think its safe to say the next head coach will be a younger guy who doesn't mind AJ having a hand in decisions regarding assistant coaches. That pretty much rules out the likes of Parcells and Jimmah. I have to admit is has been troubling having a head coach and a GM who can't talk to each other in the offseason, especially when important decisions have to be made in free agency and the draft.

Chargers to Interview Four Candidates:

The Chargers received permission Tuesday to interview four candidates to replace fired head coach Marty Schottenheimer, including one-time San Diego offensive coordinator Norv Turner.

The Chargers also received permission to interview Hall of Famer 49ers assistant head coach Mike Singletary and Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, both of whom interviewed for the Cowboys job. The fourth candidate is Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan.

The Chargers did not say when the candidates would be interviewed.

Personally I thought with this move they had someone else in mind. If these are truly the only candidates I now tend to believe this wasn't as planned as I first may have thought.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Chargers HC Candidate Pool is now six:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20070214-9999-1s14chargers.html

Jim Mora

Ron Rivera

Rex Ryan

Mike Singletary

Norv Turner

Mike Zimmer

I didn't know NFL teams can interview newly-hired assistant coaches. Zimmer was just hired as the Falcons' DC.

Ted Cottrell is apparently not a HC candidate for the Chargers - there is however interest in hiring him as a DC. Cottrell has a 3-4 background.

Interesting comments from Rivera about being able to work with the Chargers defense - built to run the 3-4, not the Tampa 2 he ran in Chicago. But if Cottrell becomes his DC, then it shouldn't matter. Rivera's value as an HC candidate I'm guessing has more to do with coming out of the Dungy coaching tree - maybe AJ and Dean think Rivera picked up enough pointers on how to coach a Superbowl-caliber team from Lovie.

I figured the Chargers would take a look at Norv Turner. I agree, the guy is a good OC, bad HC. Just does not appear to have what it takes to motivate a team. However, in the right situation i.e. talented team, that might make a difference.

I really thought the Chargers would consider Al Saunders. Especially with his HC aspirations and uneasy fit in Washington.

This upcoming season will be interesting to say the least. Many coaching changes, guys cut and we haven't gotten to the draft or free agency yet. :cool:

PD

Rivera can promise all he wants, however, AJ Smith does all the hiring. Ask Marty.

Mike T.

Even with coaches moving on to other jobs, I believe Marty had a better chance of taking the Chargers back to the playoffs.

Now, whoever gets the HC job not only has a huge task of assembling a high caliber staff but also maintaining the continuity of what the Chargers talent has in place already.

Let's hope Spanos and Smith did not allow their egos to tank a team on the verge of going all the way. :cool:

PD

Archived