Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2006-2007 Thread

Dave Bryce

2) I fail to see any example of a Pats fan on this thread complaining that the officials cost the Pats the game.

It's not hard to find. Here, for example, is you saying it and then promptly un-saying it, which is not the same thing as not saying it at all! Perhaps the last thing you say is your official stance, the first what you truly feel?

As to calls in the game, I do believe there were a couple of really crucial calls that went Indy's way that really changed the outcome...

Ultimately, though, the Pats D failed them when they needed to step up. 32 points in a half is inexcusable for this squad.

If you really feel the calls "changed the outcome of the game," then there's no need to "man up" with all the standard rhetoric of team accountability. So you feel a couple of critical calls cost the Pats a game they would have had had the calls been correctly made, regardless of how poorly the D played or that Brown turned in instead of out on 3rd and 5. That's fine. I hear more outlandish opnions every day. But at least own the opinion.

You can read anything you want into the statement you quoted.

My opinion is that there were a couple calls that were extremely close. Do I think they were egregious or incorrect? No. I think they were extremely close, and they could have gone either way, but they went Indy's way.

That's the opinion I own.

That's also a far cry from "The officials cost the Pats the game"

Last year's SB, the refs stole the game from the Seahawks. The AFC Championship this year was a well-fought battle with numerous calls that could have gone either way. Some very crucial close calls went Indy's way. I'm not sour about that. I'd be sour if they were obviously blown calls.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Heh, the last thing I want to hear is people complaining about call or non calls against the Pats - anyone remember the game where the Colts receivers were mugged by the Pats DB's all game long and nothing was called?
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Quote by Griffinator:

----------------------------------------------

Last year's SB, the refs stole the game from the Seahawks. The AFC Championship this year was a well-fought battle with numerous calls that could have gone either way. Some very crucial close calls went Indy's way. I'm not sour about that. I'd be sour if they were obviously blown calls.

----------------------------------------------

Oh baloney Scott. Seattle did more to lose that game than the refs. Were there some questionable calls? Yep. But the Seahawks FAILED to put enough points on the board to win the game. The Steelers made the plays they needed to make to win the game.Let it go already.

The roughing the passer call that was against the Patriots was a very bad call. 15 yard penalty on top of a big gain at a pivotal point in the game. The flu bug had gone through the Patriots locker the week of the game so they weren't in the best of shape to play a title game. However, the real reason the Patriots lost was the Colts ran a no huddle offense and wore the Pats defense out in the second half. The Patriots played a good 1/2 game. They have nothing to be ashamed of, you can't win then all.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

The roughing the passer call that was against the Patriots was a very bad call. 15 yard penalty on top of a big gain at a pivotal point in the game.

See, I disagree. It may have been ticky-tack, but it wasn't an incorrect call. Letter of the rule says no touchy the helmet. His hand made contact with Peyton's helmet, that's a foul.

Originally posted by Griffinator:

Actions that do not constitute pass interference include but are not limited to:

(b) Inadvertent tangling of feet when both players are playing the ball or neither player is playing the ball.

Picking up that flag was exactly the correct call.
I am well aware of the rule. In my opinion, when a beat corner steps on the back of a receiver's leg, that doesn't constitute inadvertent tangling of feet. The official who overuled the flag thrower was at the back of the endzone, shielded from what was going on at foot level behind Wayne. The link to the rule book settles nothing. A link to a clip of the play might. Inadvertency is a pure judgment call.

Actually, the reason they reversed the call was because there was no contact whatsoever on the play, not even the tangling of feet, and that was quite clear on the replay. The replay clearly showed that Wayne fell down of his own accord. No part of the two players' bodies ever touched. Neither of you guys remember that?

Scot:

It's just nit picking. Sure, you want to protect the QB, but the rules are getting to be ridiculous. Why don't they just put red shirts on them like in practice and give them skirts? It's football. I thought that tacking on an extra 15 yards on a BS call like that was poor judgement on the ref's part.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Actually, the reason they reversed the call was because there was no contact whatsoever on the play, not even the tangling of feet, and that was quite clear on the replay. The replay clearly showed that Wayne fell down of his own accord. No part of the two players' bodies ever touched. Neither of you guys remember that?

I remember the replay, and remember seeing that there was a point where there may have been contact between their feet, but it also clearly showed that both guys had their heads craned around looking for the ball... If it was contact, it was inadvertant, not "beaten corner stepping on receiver's leg"...

Either way, it wasn't interference, and the official that picked up the flag made the right call.

You mean except for the part where Wayne was pushed?

You mean except for the part where Wayne was pushed?

There was no push. The corner may have had a hand on him, but that is not a penalty. The replay showed that Wayne clearly fell down on his own, and the announcers all unanimously agreed.

IMO the real boner made by the officials in this game was the pass interference call in the end zone that they did make on Ellis Hobbs in the third quarter, putting the ball on the one and allowing Indy an easy TD. Hobbs made absolutely no contact with Wayne, but with his back turned to the play, he jumped up into the air and the ball hit him in the helmet. Phil Simms suggested that he was called for "face guarding" or something like that, but such a penalty does not exist. A defensive player who has made no contact with the reciever, even if he's not looking at the ball, hasn't committed a penalty. Indy might very well have won anyway, but you never know if key calls like this might have changed the game's outcome.

The real problem is that pass interference is a bit of a mystery these days, much like the strike zone in baseball.

Scoreboard.

Is this in reference to the final score of the game? :grin:

Indeed. Basically, when complaining goes on about officiating, or things like 'we were the better team' get thrown around by losing teams or fans, there's one thing that trumps all the arguments - the scoreboard. So, to all Pats fans and apologists - Scoreboard. The Pats melted down, get over it, there's always next year, except now that Belichick has lost that 'mystique', next year will probably end the same way the last two have - at best. :P

Scoreboard.

Indeed. Basically, when complaining goes on about officiating, or things like 'we were the better team' get thrown around by losing teams or fans, there's one thing that trumps all the arguments - the scoreboard. So, to all Pats fans and apologists - Scoreboard. The Pats melted down, get over it, there's always next year, except now that Belichick has lost that 'mystique', next year will probably end the same way the last two have - at best. :P

Exactly. My comment was meant in a sarcastic, joking way since the game is over and the final score is posted on the scoreboard.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

What are you cats doing with the football free weekend prior to the Super Bowl?

I finally got around to a few "chores". :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Scoreboard.

Exactly. My comment was meant in a sarcastic, joking way since the game is over and the final score is posted on the scoreboard.

I'm already on record several times on this thread tipping my hat to Indy for playing a great 2nd half. Am I not allowed to dissect the game a bit, with that in mind? :confused:

What are you cats doing with the football free weekend prior to the Super Bowl?

I finally got around to a few "chores". :cool:

I'ver got many chores to do. Its amazing how many things I let slide during football season :grin:

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Scoreboard.

I'm already on record several times on this thread tipping my hat to Indy for playing a great 2nd half. Am I not allowed to dissect the game a bit, with that in mind? :confused:

Agreed. No one here is making excuses, it's more like post-game analysis. Don't pretend like you wouldn't want to discuss controversial calls if it had gone the other way.

Oh well, enjoy the victory. Lord knows us Patriots fans have tasted that sweet feeling more than our fair share of times. :grin:

Even after a big win against NE, all the pressure is on Manning to prove himself. If they don't win it all, he'll just go back to being an outstanding QB who can't pull it off when it counts.

Then again, Grossman is young and we've already seen that he's prone to mistakes under pressure.

Anyways, I'll be "routing" for Indy, with the quotes there because it will be admittedly half-assed support. I guess I would rather see them win. I'll say Indy 24, Chicago 17.

Archived