Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2006-2007 Thread

Dave Bryce

Heh - I can't really talk right now. I'm just stunned. At half time I was wondering how they would best blow up the team in the off season and rebuild. Now we're in the Super Bowl! The Pats played one hell of a game though, hats off to them.

Go Colts!

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Silver Dragon Sound:

Originally posted by steadyb:

Take that, Pats!!!

Go Colts!!!

Go Seahawks?????

Go Saints???????

Go Chargers?????

Now Go Colts, hmmm.... :confused::confused:;)

I never said Go Chargers.

I picked the Saints at the beginning of the season.

Da da da da da da... Charlie!!!!

I like Payton... and all his commercials.

Go Colts!!!! :thu::thu:

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

Has this sort of thing ever happened to anyone else here?

Best,

Geoff

Can't say that it has. Now, of course, this was a very limited field of possibilities--four total combinations--but that's not the part that it strange; it was the affective part, the feeling of recognition that you report.

If you start to have these feelings with greater frequency, and they continue to "bear" out, please let me know... ;)

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Wow - great game. As a Pats fan, I didn't find the loss to be that dissapointing. Both teams played a great game - a real nail biter right up to the end. I was hoping for a couple more hail Mary passes right at the end, but it wasn't meant to be. The Colts and Manning are due. Hopefully they will crush the Bears, just as the Bears crushed the Pats in 85.

I was pretty devastated at the end of the game. I figured Brady, 1 minute left, 2 timeouts, need a TD, no problem. That interception was like a gut punch.

And yeah, I'm rooting for the Bears in the SB, for the reason ABECK intimated - they'll probably blow Indy up and rebuild if they lose...

Hey, any of you football geeks recommend the best site for stats and box scores? I'm specifically interested in cutting the stats of the NE-Indy game by half, and the standard ESPN/Yahoo! Sports box score doesn't do this (at least I don't think it does).

The Colts and Bears look evenly matched. I think it will come down to QB play - Manning should be the overwhelming favorite there. Manning has finally shaken the "Choker" monkey off his back, as far as getting to and winning an AFC Championship and should have the superior combination of experience and confidence, compared to Grossman. So I'm going to go with the Colts over the Bears.

Magpel, my favorite stats site is http://www.footballoutsiders.com/. Interestingly, all but one of the Superbowl winners, from the birth of the DVOA system in 1997, finished with a Team Efficiency DVOA at #5 or higher. The 2001 Patriots at #12 was the one exception. The 2006 Colts finished at #7...

Early in that game, it looked like the Colts run D was more like the one that gave up 280 rushing yards to the Jags than the one that had stuffed Larry Johnson and Jamal Lewis on successive weeks.

Then after Dillon's big 4th down run, nothing for the Pats. They ran the ball 24 times in all. One play yielded 48 yards. The other 23 yielded 45 yards.

Of course, the Bradys moved the ball as well as they needed to. The loss is on a Defense that was fairly shredded last week too, so I don't wanna hear about no flu...

The D had good stats this year (see way above) but they hadn't played many good offenses. in the last two weeks they've played porbably the best two offenses in the NFL, and they didn't hold up very well against either.

Originally posted by Magpel:

Early in that game, it looked like the Colts run D was more like the one that gave up 280 rushing yards to the Jags than the one that had stuffed Larry Johnson and Jamal Lewis on successive weeks.

The playoffs showed us how much Bob Sanders really means to that Colts D. He returned from injury in time to face the Chiefs and Ravens. He was in and out of the AFC Championship game. He's very much like Rodney was with the Chargers and Patriots - not only helping out with individual physical contribution, but also with the emotional lift he brings to his teammates.

The loss is on a Defense that was fairly shredded last week too, so I don't wanna hear about no flu...

Nope, no flu, but the Colts can thank the Titans for this.

Remember, it was a Titans receiver who put a cheap-shot block on Rodney Harrison and sprained his knee...

Originally posted by GovernorSilver:

...So I'm going to go with the Colts over the Bears.

I agree with all you said. I think Dungy will find a way to make the game about Grossman, and specifically about Grossman's ability to sustain drives with the short passing game when the run has been taken away.

Rex throws a very nice long ball, but is there any other QB skill at which he is especially adept?

Hester is the wild card.

Hats off to the Colts, great come back! Great game!

Our defense sure could have used Seau and Harrison on that last Colts drive.

Whats was up with that no-call on the pass interference in the end zone that forced us to go for the FG? That looked as blatantly early as they come.

Whats was up with that 15 yard, duck-duck-goose personal foul with under 2 minutes to play? Weak call.

grapes rant>

Originally posted by Griffinator:

Remember, it was a Titans receiver who put a cheap-shot block on Rodney Harrison and sprained his knee...

Rodney's been on the other side of a few of those in his day...

Originally posted by daBowsa:

Whats was up with that no-call on the pass interference in the end zone that forced us to go for the FG? That looked as blatantly early as they come.

Whats was up with that 15 yard, duck-duck-goose personal foul with under 2 minutes to play? Weak call.

grapes rant>

Yeah, I had my sour grapes collection going in the case of Pats won, so now that's you've opened the worm can... ;)

Gaffney's TD was a generous force out call. His right leg was up high and flailing wildly and he was already falling out...

They picked up a goddamned flag in the endzone as courtesy to the royal Pats, when clearly the Pats corner had stepped on the back of Wayne's leg before he fell.

On the key face mask call on the punt retunr the replay clearly showed that each participant had the other by the mask. Not sure how they missed that one...

Fair and balanced in the end...

Gaffney's TD was a generous force out call. His right leg was up high and flailing wildly and he was already falling out...

I disagree, but I'm clearly biased. Even being pushed out, he was still able to get 1 foot down. I'd think its reasonable to think he might have gotten the 2nd down had he not been pushed.

They picked up a goddamned flag in the endzone as courtesy to the royal Pats, when clearly the Pats corner had stepped on the back of Wayne's leg before he fell.

I think it "clearly" showed that Wayne's right foot hit the turf when he tripped. Even the Colts-leaning announcers agreed with that call.

Again, nice win Colts!

[i think it "clearly" showed that Wayne's right foot hit the turf when he tripped. Even the Colts-leaning announcers agreed with that call.

Again, nice win Colts!

The final broadcast replay "indubitably" showed that before Wayne's toe jabbed into the turf, the pats's corners foot had ridden up Wayne's leg. Even the three ravenous Pats fans in my presence conceded that it did. The announcers didn't notice it, as they sometimes don't.

..And while Nance may well be Colt leaning, if you know anything about Phil Simms or listen to his Sunday morning radio spot on NFL Now, as I do, you'd know he is aboslutely a Patriot fan and believer through and through. He even broke with broadcaster neutrality and picked the Pats to win this game, when it was couched this way: "If each team plays its best, who wins?"

A couple of things no one else has mentioned about the Colts-Pats game is WHY each team played so differently in the second half than in the first half. After Manning TELEGRAPHED that throw to Harrison and Samuels picked it off and ran it back for a TD, Dungy changed to a no huddle offense, so the Pats couldn't substitute as the Colts drove down the field. They only got a field goal, but a 21-6 at the end of the first half, they still had a chance to get back into the game in the second half.

The Colts stuck with the no huddle offense, not allowing the Pats to substitute and REST their defensive players. Before too long, it was evident that the Pats were sucking wind and unable to stop the Colts. Even though Belichick tried to keep it quiet, the Boston newspapers had made it known that the FLU was going through the Pats locker room, they were sick. I can't help but thinking that had something to do with their play in the second half. They were sick AND tired!

The Colts didn't abandon the run early in the second half, and they mixed up the play selection. Dungy had Manning going down the center of the field or to the left side line with his throws, instead of telegraphing his throws to Harrison like he did in the first half.

Results, 32 points. At times I thought that the teams had changed uniforms at halftime! Totally different play from the first to the second half.

Congrats to the Colts. They finally get to the big dance. No shame on the Pats, although their conduct after the San Diego game, as well as the way they handled the loss was not exactly steller. But, nobody's perfect. This is an excellent Patriots team, and a lot better game than I expected. :thu:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by MikeT156:

Dungy changed to a no huddle offense, so the Pats couldn't substitute as the Colts drove down the field. They only got a field goal, but a 21-6 at the end of the first half, they still had a chance to get back into the game in the second half.

I was surprised the Colts didn't use the no-huddle from the beginning, as the increased difficulty of defensive substitutions reduced the Pats defensive playbook. The Pats tried to counter by simply running in subs as fast as they could.

Wow, the coaching carousel continues to spin.

Who would make a good coach in Dallas (not that I care)? :D

I hope Indy wins Super Bowl XLI just so Da Bears will not record another rap song. :rolleyes::):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Hats off to the Colts, great come back! Great game!

Our defense sure could have used Seau and Harrison on that last Colts drive.

grapes rant>

Tell me about it. They called pass interference AGAINST the Pats for the exact same thing earlier in the game and put the ball and the one yard line, which resulted in an Indy touchdown. There wasn't even any bodily contact. They called it pass interference because Ellis Hobbs had his back turned to the play and the ball hit him. I've never heard of that. Then, later on, the exact same thing happened to Reche Caldwell for the Patriots. Play in the end zone, Indy defender has his back to the play, and this time, there was even bodily contact. No call.

And the roughing the passer penalty? My God!! When they showed the replay, I was expecting to see Manning get unmercifully cleaned out, not have the dust politely brushed from his helmet. He was still on his feet at the end of the play, and there was more contact with one of his own players than there was with Banta-Cain, on whom the penalty was called. Unbelievable.

As far the Pats "push-out" call, that was clearly the right call. If you saw the replays, you saw that the Indy defender pushed him out. There was no question. The only questions were whether he stayed in bounds before the catch and retained possession after the catch, both of which were answered on the replay.

Indy got the benefit of some, let's say, "suspect" calls. But what can you do? All in all, it was an exciting game.

Rumors about in Chargerland that Jerry Jones wants to bring in Charger DC Wade Phillips for an interview. Wade at least is likely to keep Dallas' 3-4 defense.

Chargers already lost Cam to the Dolphins and TE coach Chudinski to the Browns as their new OC. Cleveland offered Chud one thing San Diego could not, a chance to coach for his hometown team. RB coach Clarence Shelmon's name appears to be rising as a dark-horse candidate for the Chargers' OC job.

When Joe Torre was asked how it felt to lose with Mo Rivera on the mound in game 7 in Arizona on a bloop, a bunt, a throwing error by the usually infallible Rivera, a broken bat single (as most hits off Mo are), and another bloop by Gonzalez, his answer was wise, humble, and dignfied.

He said, Weve had an awful lot of bounces go our way during this run. Thats what Id like to see out of the Pats and their fans right now, whove had more breaks than Knievel over the years but tend to act like its all residue of design.

I guess its human nature to bitch about calls that don't go your way when you lose the game. That roughing the passer call against the Pats late in the game was not a good call. I couldn't understand that one. I believe the pass interference call against the Pats WAS interference because the defender was not playing the ball, he was playing the receiver. Bottom line, the Colts were able to take the game away from the Pats. It was one of the best AFC Championship games I ever saw. What a nail bitter, and I'm a Steelers fan.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Archived