Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2006-2007 Thread

Dave Bryce

Originally posted by Magpel:

What the heck is up with Marvin Harrison? I'm a syracuse fan, and I hear from second-hand direct contact that he is a genuinely decent fellow, but his postseason performance has become nothing short of baffling.

I mean, it's not like regular season NFL football is Bocci. Anyone who plays WR in the NFL has got to be tough, and marvin runs all the routes, not just the glory routes, so it seems unlikely to me that he's afraid of getting hit at playoff velocity. Must be more like playoff performance anxiety of some kind.

Ominously, NE has been particularly good and taking him out of his game in the playoffs.

All Hail Dallas Clark! better account for that boy, Belichick.

I have a theory that some players are just meant to be big-game players and other just do not have the emotional makeup for big-game situations. The latter does great in the regular season, but can't handle playoff atmospheres. I suspect Marvin leans towards the latter, though not as awful as our Eric Parker. I'd like to see Marvin prove me wrong.

Dallas Clark vs. the Pats LBs and safeties is a matchup to watch indeed.

The Colts defense has shown that running on them is no longer guaranteed. How the Pats intend to attack with Dillon and Maroney will be interesting.

The Pats stopped Addai at last meeting. I'm not sure the stretch plays the Colts like to use will be that much more effective against the Pats D this time around. They may have better luck just running more straight inside.

Elite TEs Gonzalez and Heap were not factors against the Colts D, so I'm not sure how much of a factor Graham/Watson will be either. Hard to say, as neither Green nor McNair have been in Brady's league as passers.

One thing for sure - even with Marvin's playoff struggles, I doubt the Colts receivers will drop as many passes as the Chargers' did.

Indy has an advantage in special teams. The kicker we know about. But they also have a dangerous returner.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GovernorSilver-very good observations. Keep in mind that Brady had 4 interceptions when they lost to the Colts 27-20 earlier in the season. I doubt that's going to happen this weekend.

Manning needs to have a good game. If they can play defense against the Pats like they have the last two playoff games, they have a good chance. Their "money" kicker is now wearing a Colts uniform. I'd like to see the Colts win, but I'd probably put my money on the Pats, if I were a betting man. ;)

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by GovernorSilver:

Indy has an advantage in special teams. The kicker we know about. But they also have a dangerous returner.

Speaking of dangerous returners, Gov., what is the story on Sproles? Is he going to be 100% or was this more of a career-altering injury? That guy was almost Hester/Hall-like last year.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I was just flashing on one of the more significant moments in recent NYG, which few of you probably saw or remember because, I mean, how closely do you follow NY-are preseason football.

Early in the Fassell era, Jason Sehorn had just come off his breakthrough season, in which he was really starting to look like a lockdown corner with incredible speed an and athleticism. Of course, this was still the heyday of Sanders, Green, and Aeneas Williams, so he didn't stand a chance of making the pro bowl, but he looked great.

Fassell decided to make greater use of his talents, starting by having him return the opening preseason kickoff against the Jets. Sehorn promptly found a seam and was brough down just past midfield, fumbling and sustaing a season-ending and career altering knee injury on the play...

Sehorn had some interesting years after that, every now and then making great athletic plays, but also getting routinely burned 'cause he just was the same physically.

Ah.

Originally posted by ProfD:

Saints vs Bears--Beyond the feel good story, the Saints O is explosive. The Bears D just managed to hang in there last week against a less potent attack.

Without you, and Gov Silver's post respectively. I'd almost forgotten there was an NFC at this point. My head is spinning from all the Chargers/Pats/Colts talk around here lately.

Pats vs Colts is just more of the same for me. Been there done that...seems like dozens of times! Should be a good game, that's about it really.

Bears vs Saints, totally uncharted waters!

TROLL . . . ish.

One of the things I'm going to be watching in the Colts/Pats is the Colts O line versus the Pats D line. In the games the Pats have won against the Colts, they have put consistent pressure on Peyton and forced mistakes. When there is little or no pressure he has played much better. When the Pats are putting good pressure on Peyton they usually getting good penetration and stopping or disrupting the running plays. Both the Chiefs and Ravens played alot of Cover 2 in different variations. Peyton seemed to struggle against both defenses. Interestingly Dungy ran the cover 2 alot in Tampa. The cover 2 deep scheme in particular has caused him problems and I wonder how the Colts will attack it when they see it.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Brady was getting a lot of pressure from San Diego's D line too, and look what a lousy game he had last weekend. He was underthrowing receivers and throwing interceptions, like most anybody would do in that situation. Manning gets "happy feet" when he's rushed. Remember the Divisional Playoff game last year with the Steelers? Rush Manning on every play, and he will have a tough game. Manning is very good at reading defenses and hitting the one on one receiver, but rush him OR Brady, don't give them time to throw, and it will make for a very interesting game.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Speaking of dangerous returners, Gov., what is the story on Sproles? Is he going to be 100% or was this more of a career-altering injury? That guy was almost Hester/Hall-like last year.
Sproles suffered a fractured fibula back in August, in a preseason game against Geoff's Packers. We haven't seen much of an update on Sproles since he had his surgery. It's a shame because he was working with the WRs - maybe we were going to turn him into a poor man's Eric Metcalf, because he's a bit small for inside running. It's because of the Sproles injury some of the fellow fans were freaking out at having Cromartie return kicks. Yes, the Sehorn injury was on our minds too, especially with Cromartie playing the same position. I liked Sehorn, btw - too bad he never seemed to fully recover. Hopefully Sproles will be back for 2007.

Cletis Gordon, who is also a CB, replaced Sproles as our return man in the preseason, until he, too, got hurt. He managed to get some action against the Cardinals, but that's about it. Apparently, returning punts does not come as naturally to Sproles as returning kicks does, so we may see Gordon handling punts and Sproles returning kicks.

Michael Turner was a pretty good kick returner for us in 2006 - no TDs, but he set us up with excellent field position several times. There's a good chance we're going to lose him, though, as a FA.

Originally posted by daBowsa:

Gov - for a Chargers fan, you sure do know your way around the Colts/Pats matchup! :thu:

I'm a Charger fan first, but an NFL fan close second - love watching most NFL games and we all see lots of Colts-Pats games. :)

Can Manning finally overcome the pressure of facing the Pats in the playoffs, or are we going to see the usual playoff result? Same question with Harrison. And Dungy also has a "can't get to the Big Dance" stigma himself, dating back to the Tampa days.

The Tampa Cover 2 system relies on using a quick 4-man front with lots of stunts to generate pressure. The Pats seem to use max protect a lot, so the Colts may be forced to blitz, which would play right into Brady's hands.

I don't know what magic switch the Colts flipped to turn on their defense for the playoffs, but they'll need it again against the Pats.

Originally posted by Silver Dragon Sound:

Marty is staying in San Diego

ESPN is reporting he turned down a 4.5 million dollar extension for 2008. Any idea why?
I think he turned down the $4.5M because there was a $1M buyout clause.

Rather than be on the hot seat again next year, succeed or fail, he will get his full salary and there will be no "Marty Watch". ;)

Brian Billick extended his contract with the Ravens. Details of the deal will not be disclosed because he'd rather not have his financial info in print. :rolleyes:

Interesting when they drop players' salaries like pigeon sh*t. :rolleyes::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

It sounds like Marty is going to give it one more try. If he doesn't get to the SB next year, it might be back to the broadcast booth, or off to the golf courses with his understudy, Bill Cowher, to improve his game. :thu:

Mike T.

Originally posted by MikeT156:

It sounds like Marty is going to give it one more try. If he doesn't get to the SB next year, it might be back to the broadcast booth, or off to the golf courses with his understudy, Bill Cowher, to improve his game. :thu:

Mike T.

You gotta wonder how long until Cohwer decides to get back into coaching again.

- Rush

Quote by Silver Dragon Sound:

------------------------------------

You gotta wonder how long until Cohwer decides to get back into coaching again.

------------------------------------

Cowher is a very competitive person, I don't know how long he can stand being "retired". The other side of it is, you can't wait too long to get back into NFL coaching, Gibbs and Parcells came out of mothballs and I don't think they've done all that great. But Bill is 49 years old. He wanted more money and the Steelers wouldn't give it to him, so he resigned. Nice move Pittsburgh. Cheap ass. He might end up coaching Cleveland.

Mike T.

On Championship weekend, in the last 10 years, one home team and one road team wins. It's probably going to be the Pats and da Bears in the Super Bowl. Which translates to the "Boring Bowl" :bor:

However, I am hoping that Payton Manning breaks the Pats "jinx" on them and the Colts win by a FIELD GOAL in the last 10 seconds of the game. :thu:

Also hoping that the "Ain'ts" go to the SB as the Saints!

I'm very tired of the Pats, and I don't think da Bears have enough weapons to win the big one.....

this year.

Mike T.

Belicick is being interviewed on WFAN right now--by Joe Beningo and Evan Roberts, the "B" team, reason being that Mike Francessa of Mike and thewMad Dog--the "A" team--apparently has some kind of feud with Belichick. Francessa is close personal friends with Parcells.

Anyway, Belichick--he gives you NOTHING in his interviews. He sloughs off every questions; he's not playful in the least. He's a PR nightmare, that guy. Good thing he wins so much. I hear he actually does have a subversive kind of wit if you know him. But never has anyone played it so stoic in the media. Unreal. Here's an interview with the game's biggest coach 2 days before an epic AFC championship game, and I couldn't even listen to it. I had to turn it off, he was so painfully evasive, reserved and unengaged.

Well, if you listen to him on the Boston stations, he opens up a little. From reading his biographies, everyone says he's a funny guy.

He doesn't like giving out any information that can be used against his football team. Period.

He learned some hard lessons in Cleveland. He learned to not let anyone give pressers except for a select few.

I don't consider him a PR nightmare. I consider him a PR goldmine - he, and his teams, give off the impression that nothing else matters besides football. Except, of course, playoff football.

I don't consider him a PR nightmare. I consider him a PR goldmine - he, and his teams, give off the impression that nothing else matters besides football. Except, of course, playoff football.

Yes, but I humbly offer your opinion is skewed by the sports envirnoment there, even though you don't live "there.". I've spent a lot of time in Boston and related NE environs. It is no lie to say that the Boston Red Sox are dominating the sports page TODAY. For every 2,000 Red Sox logos, you might see one Patriots logo on a Jeep's spare tire.

Boston, I'm sure, finds it quite lovely to have a 3-time Super Bowl champ in their midst, but nothing could be more off-topic and off point. What they're really concerned with is why they let Trot Nixon walk and who Theo's tailor is.

Then if the Celts and Bruins ever get their act together, the Pats fall further in NE consciousness.

I heard it best expressed this way: Boston winning the Super Bowl is like the University of Texas winning the NCAA Basketball championship. Nice, but they simply don't know what to make of it. Irrelevance.

So I agree, in that environment, Belichik is the perfect head coach. What does it matter what he says? They're not listening anyway.

[qb] So I agree, in that environment, Belichik is the perfect head coach. What does it matter what he says? They're not listening anyway.

If what your saying is true and I have no reason to believe it is, it is quite possible Belichick is more popular outside of the NE area. Could this also be a case of the Patriots winning 3 superbowls so recently that there isn't as much of an emotional aspect to them at this point? I have a friend from Boston who echoed the same thing in that its a predominately Red Sox town. I suspect much like Dallas with Cowgirls.

- Rush

I heard something about this on the Mike and Mike show early this morning on ESPN radio. It is a Red Sox town, however, they hold the Patriots in higher regard than the way you guys have been indicating, from what a Boston sports writer said this morning.

Dabowsa's right about Belichik, he's not a PR nightmare, he's smart. He won't tell you anything that will help the opposition, and he's very evasive for that very reason. You don't win 3 SB's because you're stupid.

Mike T.

Archived