Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2006-2007 Thread

Dave Bryce

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Magpel:

What a shame to wake up to the news that Broncos DB Darrent Williams was killed in a drive-by shooting early this morning. Yikes.

This was terrible news. :cry: Prayers to his family, friends and Broncos organization.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

(snip)... the last of which was a decisive victory over the best team in the NFC.

This may be a gross(man) overstatement. :)

Congratulations to John (Magpel) for winning this year's Pick 'em Pool, and congrats those of you whose teams made the playoffs. I'm rooting for a Chargers/Saints Super Bowl. :cool:

Best,

Geoff

:thu:

My congrats to Magpel on winning the Pick 'Em Pool! :thu:

Good luck to your NYGs in the playoffs. I hope they represent the NFC East well especially considering this is the last we will see of Tiki as a football player.

My condolences to the family of Darrent Williams. :(

I look forward to Pick 'Em and Survivor again next year.

Those were fun forays with fellow football fans and forumites. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

1. Congrats to Magpel!

2. I'd love to see Parcells bring in Bledsoe after Romo throws 3 pick in the first half against the Seahawks. :D

3. Rex Grossman is going to have a rough two weeks off. His head must be spinning.

4. Can Indy stop Larry Johnson? The Indy D has to step up big if they want a ring.

5. Can the Giants have Brett Favre for a few weeks?

6. New England really needs Rodney Harrison(leg injury).

7. How about the 49ers beating Denver? They look pretty good. Probably as good as any team in the NFC playoffs for that matter.

I pick the Baltimore Ravens to win it this year.

Defense with a Veteran Warrior at QB.

Good luck to all your teams. Thanks for having me. :wave:

Originally posted by MidLifeCrisis:

Congratulations to John (Magpel) for winning this year's Pick 'em Pool,

+1 :thu:

Great job John, you did a great job with your picks.

Also congrats to Geoff for a strong finish and coming in 2nd place.

Thanks, Steve. That's the second year in a row that I finished second in the Pick 'em Pool. Last year , John and I finished tied for second with antimatter and Jim (jackpine) won.

dabowsa deserves recognition for having held the second place position for most of this season. Sorry to bump you out on the last day.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Originally posted by jackpine:

This is no surprise.

Denny Green gets the boot

"One of the candidates is Mike Sherman, the former Green Bay Packers coach and now assistant head coach of the Houston Texans. Sherman is to be interviewed on Thursday, Graves said."

In my opinion, Arizona could do far worse. Mike Sherman was fired from the Packers after only one losing season in which his team was decimated by injuries. Otherwise, he had a great tenure at Green Bay with five winning seasons and three straight division titles in his six years as head coach. ( More here .)

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

It has not taken long for the coaching carousel to spin.

Arizona and Atlanta need a coach. Miami might be up next.

Nick Saban is considering the Alabama job. Like Pete Carroll and Steve Spurrier, maybe college is where Saban feels more comfortable.

How long will it take for Jim Mora to land at Univ of Washington? ;)

The off-season will be interesting. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Originally posted by jackpine:

This is no surprise.

Denny Green gets the boot

"One of the candidates is Mike Sherman, the former Green Bay Packers coach and now assistant head coach of the Houston Texans. Sherman is to be interviewed on Thursday, Graves said."

In my opinion, Arizona could do far worse. Mike Sherman was fired from the Packers after only one losing season in which his team was decimated by injuries. Otherwise, he had a great tenure at Green Bay with five winning seasons and three straight division titles in his six years as head coach. ( More here .)

Best,

Geoff

The fans in Arizona would kill the Bidwells if they hire Mike Sherman. I can't tell you how many people have called in on talk radio and been against his hiring. While he may be a good fit, people here want a big name with a proven track record with all the talent they have here.

- Rush

Happy New Year!

- I was saddened to hear about Darrent Williams. What a terrible way to begin the New Year.

- On a happier note, congratulations to all the playoff teams. Congrats as well to the teams that at least finished on a high note (eg. the Packers decimating the Bears at Chicago).

- As far as the AFC playoffs, the Chargers earned all the privileges of the #1 seed - homefield advantage, a bye week, and guaranteed matchups against the worst surviving seeds.

- If the Chiefs-Colts game were in KC, no question Larry Johnson would run all over the Colts D. However, the game is in Indy and the Chiefs have not been a good road team. Trent Green has not been as productive as Damon Huard.

- The Patriots-Jets game is easier to predict. I just don't see how the Jets are going to win at New England in a playoff atmosphere.

- I'm guessing Round 2 will be Colts @Ravens, Patriots @Chargers.

Originally posted by GovernorSilver:

It's official!

NFL MVP Award Announced

What the heck were they thinking. LT for MVP? I thought for sure Eli Manning would win it. I think most of the players on the teams the Giants played voted for him due to their success. :D

In all seriousness though, LT deserved it and congratulations to him and the Chargers. Lets hope they top it off with a ring.

- Rush

Originally posted by Silver Dragon Sound:

Saban new Alabama coach. Must have been hard to turn that type of money down.

What money? He got the same deal he has in Miami, only longer. And we all know how valuable "long-term" coaching contracts are, in the face of the unreasonable expectations in Alabama.

Saban should've honored his word in Miami. I give him 2, maybe 3 years in Alabama before Bear Bryant's shadow chokes the life out of him...

Happy New Year!

- I'm guessing Round 2 will be Colts @Ravens, Patriots @Chargers.

I'd be very surprised as well if that's not the way it plays out, and I also give the Chiefs a better chance than the Jets, if only because KC's main strength--run offense--is Indy's glaring vulnerability.

But boy I'd love to see the Jets do it. That'd be pretty sweet. If NE gets out fast, it's all over. If the Jets can play their usual mistake free conservative game, keep it low scoring and close, and maybe put the fate of the game on Vinati...I mean, the new guy's foot, well, you see what I mean.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Griff is right, the money is about the same. There is no such thing as a long term contract in sports. ;)

IMO, coaches return to college ranks because they have more control over the team/players.

At the NFL level, it is a major exercise in psychology to motivate cats making a ton of money to work and play hard.

Congrats to the NFL award winners! Hope they provide us with great football in 2007 and beyond. :cool:

PD

Originally posted by ProfD:

Griff is right, the money is about the same. There is no such thing as a long term contract in sports. ;)

IMO, coaches return to college ranks because they have more control over the team/players.

At the NFL level, it is a major exercise in psychology to motivate cats making a ton of money to work and play hard.

Congrats to the NFL award winners! Hope they provide us with great football in 2007 and beyond. :cool:

You are correct about similar money per year but the difference is a longer contract with all the money guaranteed which is I way I made my original statement.

- Rush

Originally posted by Silver Dragon Sound:

You are correct about similar money per year but the difference is a longer contract with all the money guaranteed which is I way I made my original statement.

Gotcha.

I still think Alabama has some kinda escape clause for getting out of that $32M deal (Ghost Bear). ;)

It is amazing that colleges are willing to pay coaches that kinda money but we won't go there.

Might be similar to a religious or political thread. :):cool:

PD

Cowher handed in his resignation.

ESPN is now reporting the news that Art Shell will be done tomorrow. It is unclear if he is resigning or being fired.

Thats 5 coaches this week. Hopefully the football gods will smile on the Tampa fans and make Gruden #6 sometime soon.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

Originally posted by MidLifeCrisis:

Cowher handed in his resignation.

ESPN is now reporting the news that Art Shell will be done tomorrow. It is unclear if he is resigning or being fired.

Thats 5 coaches this week. Hopefully the football gods will smile on the Tampa fans and make Gruden #6 sometime soon.

Steve, I think you are stuck with Chucky for at least one more season.

Once the QB situation is cleared up and the aging defense repaired, he will have to sink or swim.

I surely hope Cowher does not return to coach the Miami Dolphins.

Who knows, he could be Chucky's replacement year after next. ;):cool:

PD

Jason Taylor wins Defensive Player Of Year

Vote Breakdown By Candidate:

Taylor 22

Bailey 16

Merriman 6

Urlacher 4

R. Lewis 1

Pryce 1

Congratulations to Jason Taylor. I wonder how many people took the whole steroid thing with Merriman into account when they voted?

- Rush

Archived