Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2006-2007 Thread

Dave Bryce

Originally posted by GovernorSilver:

I heard TO gave a jersey to Hall's kid? If so, that only adds to the legend of the NFL's Most Bizarre Player

Indeed he is! Hall said the jersey gift meant nothing and there friendship is now over and he no longer respects T.O. Hall also said that Owens never made any apology to him.

I like that Deion cornered T.O. at the end of the game about the incident, while T.O. thought the interview would be about his stupid touchdown.

TROLL . . . ish.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by meccajay:

4. Any punt that is blocked and does not cross the line of scrimmage can be recovered and advanced by either team. However, if offensive team recovers it must make the yardage necessary for its first down to retain possession if punt was on fourth down.

From NFL website

I see what you're saying regarding a receiving teams player touching(muffing) the ball creating a "live ball" scenerio, but wouldn't a blocked ball have to be considered touched by the receiving team already? Or is it the 2nd touch that in fact makes the ball "live"?

Confusing! :confused::freak:

It's the second touch. The rule you cited didn't apply, because the kick crossed the line of scrimmage, despite being partially blocked. If a Charger had picked it up, it would have been "dead" at the spot where he touched it, possession to KC.

Because a KC player touched it first, it became a live ball, possession to KC. When he failed to control it, and the SD player recovered, possession went to SD, new set of downs.

Originally posted by MidLifeCrisis:

As far as the KC punt block goes. If a partially blocked punt crosses the line of scrimage then the return rules are in force. If the receiving team touches the ball it is fair game for anyone at that point.

You may be right, but I was thinking these rules would apply:

4. Any punt that is blocked and does not cross the line of scrimmage can be recovered and advanced by either team. However, if offensive team recovers it must make the yardage necessary for its first down to retain possession if punt was on fourth down.

From NFL website

I see what you're saying regarding a receiving teams player touching(muffing) the ball creating a "live ball" scenerio, but wouldn't a blocked ball have to be considered touched by the receiving team already? Or is it the 2nd touch that in fact makes the ball "live"?

Confusing! :confused::freak:

Key point there is "crossing the line of scrimage". The replay showed the ball did cross the line of scrimage.

It had me pissed off as well. Just watching the play you felt KC got screwed. They made a great play, blocked a punt, did everything legal and still did not get the ball.

Makes you wonder how so many obvious things get overlooked in a game yet the refs pull this put of their butts to rob KC of the ball.Seems like sometimes they just want to display their thorough knowelge of the minutia rather than going with the flow of the game.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

Originally posted by Griffinator:

[qb] The rule you cited didn't apply, because the kick crossed the line of scrimmage, despite being partially blocked. If a Charger had picked it up, it would have been "dead" at the spot where he touched it, possession to KC.

Sorry Griff, didn't read your reply before I wrote mine. I was scrolling through the thrad when I hit reply.

Seems like we are all in agreement that since the punt crossed the line of scrimage all bets are off regarding who can gain possession

Steve

www.rock-xtreme.com

Well last nights game wasn't the high flying affair I thought it might be. The Colts got theirs but the Bengals D seemed content to let Peyton beat them with the short passing game. The Begals offensve line couldn't stop Freeney at all. Why didn't they find a way to deal with the pressure or make at attempt to move Carson a round a bit? Plus settling for field goals instead of TD's wasn't helping either. I guess you need to give Kudos to the Colts Defense who was embarassed by the Jags the week before as they came to play last night. I wonder if the Colts D will hold up in the playoffs though. Three teams at 8-6 in the AFC with two spots available. The Steelers need help to get in and need to win out. Sounds all too familiar.

The Broncos and Bengals play each other next week, so something will give there. The Bengals close out the year with the Steelers. The Jags also at 8-6 have some tough games but thery seem to play better in these tough games. The Jets have potentially the easiest last two games but as this season has shown us, don't make any commitments just yet.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

I figured the Bengals would lose last night, but I thought it would be much closer than it was. They just flat out didn't show up in the second half.
Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

I have to give the Colts D props - I didn't think they would rise up like they did, missing their 2 starting DTs.

The Bengals really missed their starting left tackle, Levi Jones. His backup was OWNED repeatedly by Freeney and didn't seem to help much with run-blocking either. Even against a D that has struggled as much as the Colts' have, if you don't have a left tackle, you basically don't have an offense.

Ah well. My Chargers can still clinch the top seed with a win over Seattle and a Baltimore loss at Pittsburgh. Go Chargers! Go Steelers!

Originally posted by Magpel:

Holy cow, next week is a Pickem NIGHTMARE. If someone has a hot week, they could make a lot of ground. I don't forsee many, or any, scoring in double figures.

You are just saying that to make us all feel better. Trying to give us that one morsel of a thread to hang on to that we may actually have a chance of beating you. :D

Steve

www.rock-xtreme.com

Originally posted by MidLifeCrisis:

Key point there is "crossing the line of scrimage". The replay showed the ball did cross the line of scrimage.

*Yikes* I must not have been paying attention somewhere along the line, because I came away from that whole incident thinking that the ball didn't make it across.

Sorry about all that.

TROLL . . . ish.

T.O. gets the pro bowl snub. I'm not sure he deserved it in the first place but assuming he did, how much of a factor was his attitude in the decision?

I was happy to see some other plays get recognition for their seasons, especially since they play for poor teams. Anquan Boldin, Adrian Wison and Frank Gore are all deserving IMO

- Rush

I bet his attitude was a big part of it. I saw on ESPN yesterday that he finished 3rd in the fan voting, but didn't make it on the player/coach voting.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Sounds about right DanL.

He & Mike Vick are losing there respect amoung players and coaches.

T.O. had enough drama for a lifetime with the whole 911 faux-suicide incident. Also I bet other coaches feel for Tuna having to bite his tongue during the media blitz at Dallas camp this year.

Vick didn't have a pro bowl year last year, but went on rep alone. This year his record setting running yards and 19 TD's are pro bowl caliber, but this year Vick was voted one of the leagues most overhyped players...by the NFL players! Also the voting went in 2 weeks ago, and at that time he was in the middle of a losing slump and the whole "flipping the bird" drama.

TROLL . . . ish.

Pro Bowl congrats:

- Geoff, for your boy Driver. One of the bright spots for Brett.

- MidLife, been a Ronde fan since back in the day. My coworkers in the day used to complain about Barber and Abraham, but when the Bucs used to play the more explosive Packer and Vike offenses twice a year, he held his own.

- Saw at least one CHI fan here - all the Bears Pro Bowlers deserved to get in.

- Congrats to Jammal Brown - SOMEBODY is doing their job on the NO offensive line, otherwise Brees wouldn't be putting up those sick numbers

- Romo, great story - first time Pro Bowler who wasn't even a starter in Sept.

- Surprised this is Reggie Wayne's first Pro Bowl.

- Congrats to Mathis - about time Jax gets more recognition for their defense

- Nice to see Ladanian's TCU teammate make his first Pro Bowl - talking about Schoebel of course.

Originally posted by GovernorSilver:

Pro Bowl congrats:

- Geoff, for your boy Driver. One of the bright spots for Brett.

Thanks, GovernorSilver. :)

Favre was named as an alternate, by the way.

And congrats to you too for your Chargers having placed more players on the squad (nine) than any other team! :thu:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I saw some interesting info on Romo yesterday on the NFL channel. They were talking about how his 1st few games he was doing so well, only 1 pick, 9 TDs or something. Now that there is film on him, teams are learning to contain him. His last few games have been pretty average and he's thrown 3 TDs and 5 picks.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

There are alot of deserving players getting pro bowl recognition but one player no one has mentioned yet is FB Lorenzo Neal of the Chargers. This guy has been the lead blocker for some great future hall of fame RB's. You don't hear alot about him, but when I went back and looked at who he blocked for I can't help but think he has played part in these RB's successes. So props to Lorenzo Neal on his pro bowl selection.

This opinion reflects the views of the poster only and does not represent the thoughts or views of the other personas, moderators, administrators, or owners of Music Players keyboard corner forum or any of their affiliates. Of course agreement by any of the above mentioned would should incredible intelligence and insight previously thought reserved for a select few within our society. :D

- Rush

Originally posted by Silver Dragon Sound:

There are alot of deserving players getting pro bowl recognition but one player no one has mentioned yet is FB Lorenzo Neal of the Chargers. This guy has been the lead blocker for some great future hall of fame RB's.

Count me in as one who definately recognizes, and appreciates!! :thu:

As a once and future Titans fan, I've grown to understand the special importance of Lorenzo Neal!

Not only that, but Eddie George himself was on fox sports a couple weeks ago singing his praises very loudly! Eddie said his 1,500 yard seasons were in large part due to Lorenzo's blocking and that he missed Lorenzo so much once he left, and that his career was never the same after Neal's departure.

My own special 'Zo' tribute:

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/ten/nealten.jpg

http://www.cincypost.com/2003/03/01/03-01-2003_215443.1.jpg

http://photos.signonsandiego.com/gallery1.5/albums/041107saints/041107chatman_leap_kc.jpg

TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by Silver Dragon Sound:

There are alot of deserving players getting pro bowl recognition but one player no one has mentioned yet is FB Lorenzo Neal of the Chargers. This guy has been the lead blocker for some great future hall of fame RB's. You don't hear alot about him, but when I went back and looked at who he blocked for I can't help but think he has played part in these RB's successes. So props to Lorenzo Neal on his pro bowl selection.

Thanks! Having watched Neal on week-to-week, I quickly learned why he has lead-blocked for a 1000-yd rusher for nine consecutive seasons, going all the way back to Adrian Murrell of the Jets. With the digital age, it has become easier than ever to download games and re-watch them. When I review the big running plays, Neal has a key block on the overwhelming majority of them.

Our coordinator, Cam, loves to run the ball with Neal in any short-yardage situation not within 10 yds of the goal line. It gets predictable, but Neal punches it through every time - never seen him get stuffed. He's also been a useful receiver, which none of us expected when he joined the Chargers in 2003. He's not Larry Centers, but he's got good hands. And finally, for a guy who loves the contact, he's been incredibly durable.

Just heard the news on the NFL Network half time show.

The Raiders will officially announce the firing of Art Shell tomorrow.

Who would have thunk it :confused::)

EDIT: At the end of the game they issued a statement saying the Raiders published an official response saying it was an inaccurate report written by a biased reporter. :confused:

Now if only the Bucs can follow suit and fire Chucky.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v344/tampabayfan/sigs/TBBB_TBF_Santa.jpg

Steve

www.rock-xtreme.com

Holy Cow! The Minnesota offense goes for 104 total yards (breaking into triple digits on a late QB scramble) and 3 first downs! Against a GB defense that is typically porous. That, my friends, is a staggering, a prodigious lack of offense.

Too bad, too, 'cause the Minny D is pretty formidable but can't catch a break with that prevent offense in place.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by Magpel:

Holy Cow! The Minnesota offense goes for 104 total yards (breaking into triple digits on a late QB scramble) and 3 first downs!

It's amazing it was a close game. Their up and coming rookie QB threw for a total of 27 yards. :eek: Brett had more passing attempts (50) than he had yards.

Steve

www.rock-xtreme.com

What amazes me is that the Packers have now moved into contention for a Wild Card spot!

That says something about how Green Bay has improved this year, but it says even more about the current sad state of the NFC.

Nonetheless:

http://homepage.mac.com/musicproduction/.Pictures/Packers1.jpeg

GO PACKERS!!! :thu:

:)

Best,

Geoff

Remember last year, when the 10-6 Chiefs didn't make the playoffs and fans were screaming for more Wild Card slots? Can you imagine this year's NFC with more Wild Card teams? How many franchises with losing records would get into the post-season this year if two more slots per division had been created?

Still marveling at the mediocre NFC...

(Bears excluded)

By the way, the second place 7-8 Packers are currently tied for the longest winning streak in the NFC at three games. In the AFC, the Chargers have an eight game winning streak.

Best,

Geoff

Well the Raiders played a Stinker against the Chiefs last night. Kind of a boring game that the Raiders offense couldn't find a way to win. If the offense could only contribute another 10 points or so this would be a much better team as their defense as been very good and has won their games for them this year.

Archived