Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2006-2007 Thread

Dave Bryce

Originally posted by Magpel:

It used to be de rigueur to sit a young QB prospect for a couple of years. Maybe Rivers is enjoying the fruits of that conservative approach, and maybe Eli and Ben are still hitting the speed bumps of the other approach. Who knows?

Ben is "still hitting the speedbump" of putting one's head through someone else's windshield. The motorcycle accident changed everything for Ben and for his team. Unfortunately for Eli, he doesn't have the same excuse.

Think about how long it took Steve Young to become a viable QB, or Testaverde, or Rich Gannon.
Or Mister Interception, Brett Favre.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by meccajay:

My current fav is this new kid Colston with the Saints. He's gonna be the T.O. or Moss of last years draft. I just don't know how they found him in the 7th round???

I picked up Colston as a free agent for my fantasy team when I was desperate for WR help. Boy, what an acquisition he turned out to be! He's 2nd only to Javon Walker in WR fantasy point production! Sean Payton and his staff did an amazing job of talent evaluation this year. Apparently Colston was the reason they let Stallworth get away. It helps that Brees loves to use him the same way he used Gates in SD.

No question Colston will be in the top 10 players of next year's fantasy draft. He'd be my first choice for WR again.

It used to be de rigueur to sit a young QB prospect for a couple of years. Maybe Rivers is enjoying the fruits of that conservative approach, and maybe Eli and Ben are still hitting the speed bumps of the other approach. Who knows? Think about how long it took Steve Young to become a viable QB, or Testaverde, or Rich Gannon.

Rivers had the benefit of learning the Chargers system for 2 years without any pressure, while watching a Pro Bowler execute it. He also made the effort to befriend as many fellow players as he could and put in extra time with Gates (they live on the same street).

On a related note, there was a recent article about how today's college offenses are much closer to the NFL's, not only in the schemes but also in how they prepare their players. Rivers, Matt Leinert, and other young QBs played in pro-style systems. How many high school QBs are going to want to play for an option offense in college when they know they have a better chance to crack the NFL in a pro style system? Apparently Wake Forest has abandoned the option for this year - I think they should scrap it for good, as they are at the top of the ACC and are doing great with a young QB serving as a pocket passer.

Speaking of young WRs, the Chargers' Malcolm Floyd is tied with Steve Smith in number of TDs, even though Floyd is currently a backup. He is yet another tall WR (6' 5") with some playmaking ability, who has caught two TD bombs from Rivers. His one TD that was not a bomb was on a play in which he simply out-jumped and reached over Deshea Townsend in the end zone. Townsend is decent, but he suffered a serious size mismatch. With starter Eric Parker's injury status still uncertain, Floyd could see more playing time again at Denver. He had his first 100+ yd game in relief of Parker at Cincy.

The more and more I think about things from a fantasy perspective, I think Phillip Rivers would be a great pick to keep in a keeper league as would Colston. I wanted to pick up Colston but I know I had no chance as I was the last person in the waivers pecking order. Right now my fantasy team is pretty solid as I drafted well and made some very good trades.

After giving some serious consideration as to who my favorite receiver is, I decided that my favorite receiver is Reggie Wayne. Special mention to Keenan McCardell and Roy Williams.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

And, BTW, I love Belichek. I'm not on this "let's dump on Bill" movement in the least. It is a shame that there is currently opinion hostility in the "school of Tuna" ranks. Bill B has in fact surpassed Bill P in many ways, but it still pays to remember who hired whom--and who gave Crennll, Weiss, Carthon and, hell, Tom Coughlin, their starts in coaching.

Parcells legacy in that regard is second only to Walsh.

How about Jim Lee Howell, who guided the Giants to three NFL championship games in the 1950s and gave Vince Lombardi and Tom Landry their coaching starts? Not bad either, eh. ;)

It may lack a little in the area of quantity, but it sure makes up for it in quality.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Originally posted by Dan South:

Think about how long it took Steve Young to become a viable QB, or Testaverde, or Rich Gannon.

Dan, don't you mean Iron Man of the NFL, Former Super Bowl Champion, Three Time MVP Winner, Eight Time Pro Bowler, Multiple Record Holder, Brett Favre? ;)

Most seasons with 30 or more touchdown passes: 8 (1994-1998, 2001, 2003-2004)

Most consecutive seasons with 30 or more touchdown passes: 5 (1994-1998)

Most consecutive seasons with 20 or more touchdown passes: 12 (1994-2005)

Most seasons leading the league in touchdown passes: 4

Most consecutive 3,000+ yards passing seasons: 14 (1992-2005)

Most consecutive 300+ completion seasons: 14 (1992-2005)

Most consecutive NFL MVP awards: 3 (1995, 1996, 1997)

Most NFL MVP awards: 3 (all in a row)

Most consecutive starts by a quarterback: 229 (249 including playoffs)

Longest touchdown pass: 99 yards (to Robert Brooks, 1995) (tied with several others)

Most touchdown passes in road games: 198

Most touchdown passes in a single stadium: 194

I'd say ol' Brett became viable right off the bat, completing over 300 passes for over 3,000 yards in his first season one in which he didn't even start until after the first few games!

I'm not saying that Favre can do no wrong, but he sure has done a helluva lot right. :cool:

http://homepage.mac.com/musicproduction/.Pictures/Packers1.jpeg

GO PACKERS!!! :thu:

Best,

Geoff

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

Originally posted by Dan South:

Dan, don't you mean Iron Man of the NFL, Former Super Bowl Champion, Three Time MVP Winner, Eight Time Pro Bowler, Multiple Record Holder, Brett Favre? ;)

Most seasons with 30 or more touchdown passes: 8 (1994-1998, 2001, 2003-2004)

Most consecutive seasons with 30 or more touchdown passes: 5 (1994-1998)

Most consecutive seasons with 20 or more touchdown passes: 12 (1994-2005)

Most seasons leading the league in touchdown passes: 4

Most consecutive 3,000+ yards passing seasons: 14 (1992-2005)

Most consecutive 300+ completion seasons: 14 (1992-2005)

Most consecutive NFL MVP awards: 3 (1995, 1996, 1997)

Most NFL MVP awards: 3 (all in a row)

Most consecutive starts by a quarterback: 229 (249 including playoffs)

Longest touchdown pass: 99 yards (to Robert Brooks, 1995) (tied with several others)

Most touchdown passes in road games: 198

Most touchdown passes in a single stadium: 194

I'd say ol' Brett became viable right off the bat, completing over 300 passes for over 3,000 yards in his first season one in which he didn't even start until after the first few games!

I'm not saying that Favre can do no wrong, but he sure has done a helluva lot right. :cool:

http://homepage.mac.com/musicproduction/.Pictures/Packers1.jpeg

GO PACKERS!!! :thu:

Best,

Geoff

I don't get it Geoff, what are you trying to say? :D

- Rush

Drew Brees 500+ yards :eek:

As Geoff pointed out, Romo outdueld Peyton.

Which is the real Bengals team?

The Bears had -1 yeards passing in the first half. Regarless of the defense, can the Bears be considered a lefitimate contender with that offense?

The Eagles season is over. You to really feel for Donovan.

Weird day in the NFL.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

Originally posted by MidLifeCrisis:

Drew Brees 500+ yards :eek:

As Geoff pointed out, Romo outdueld Peyton.

Which is the real Bengals team?

The Bears had -1 yeards passing in the first half. Regarless of the defense, can the Bears be considered a lefitimate contender with that offense?

The Eagles season is over. You to really feel for Donovan.

Weird day in the NFL.

500 yards and only 16 points :confused: timely interceptions always help

Who are the Bengals? Can't amswer that one. They have driven me crazy this year. They have had a ton of injuries ,especially on defense. Carson has had some mechanics problens I think due to his injury. And the schedule they have played is brutal. I just remember last year when Pittsburgh looked dead and won 7 straight and kept on to the super bowl. Of course that was aided by Carsons injury in the playoffs. Hopefully the Bengals will get healthy and get on a roll .

How about Ethan Kilmer, the guy had never played football until college his senior yr. at Penn State as a wide reciever as a walk on. The Bengals get him for special teams and try to turn him into a safety. On his very first professional series and 4th play as a safety he picks off a pass and returns it 52 yds for a TD . The dude has been a special teams demon also on punt coverage.

San Diego is on fire. LT is bananas and Rivers stepped right up to the plate.

Once Merriman comes back, hopefully they can keep the other team from scoring so many points.

Reminds me of the 80s team a little bit except the defense is better. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

They're 9-1 for crissake.

I'll tell you what. When the Bears win the superbowl by returning a fieldgoal for a TD or crushing an offense for no points, we'll all sit around and talk about how bad Rex is.

Originally posted by ProfD:

Once Merriman comes back, hopefully they can keep the other team from scoring so many points.

:cool:

Merriman AND Castillo! They're playing without their 2 defensive studs (I'm an NYG fan as you know. Don't get me started on missing studs).

SD has always been my "second city" and my AFC team, so I'm thriled for them, and they are scary. Winning in Denver is scary. Shredding the NFL's best (well, really 2nd best) defense for 28 in the 2nd half in Denver is scary, and more impressive than posting 42 in the 2nd half against Cincy.

Coming back from the Denver INT TD and winning is scary.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Magpel is having a hot week with his picks.

HE is threatening to run away with the pick-em pool.

The cards turned well for me Sunday, no doubt about it, and not so well for you, Mid, but there's a long six weeks ahead, and my "nemesis," DaBowsa, has been creeping creeping creeping into stirking distance with a run of good weeks, which makes tonight's game signifcant, because we're on opposite sides of Jax-NYG (guess which side I'm on?)

I guess I'm in mourning.. I feel bad for Donovan, 2 years in a row. Unbelievable! Whats also bothering me is that this injury and recovery could go well into next year from what Ive heard. It seems like the window is closing for my Eagles. I guess all thats left is to get my Titans jersey out of the closet of shame for next season. :( Ok, onto the games--

-Yes, the Chargers are indeed on fiyah! All this without Merriman? Wow!

-By that same token, the Eagles & Falcons are toast. Jim Mora Sr's comments on Vick being a coach killer.. Untimely to say the least!! Me thinks Thanksgiving at the mora houshold isn't going to be so nice nice this year.

-Like I've been saying fr a while now. Now that the Colts have lost, they can relax. No more pressure, no more stupid questions about going undefeated. The Bears don't have those nags anymore. With one more loss, they won't even have the worry of losing momentum by resting players at the end of the season. Just play on.

-I guess with the Giants banged up, and the Eagles now in the tank, they just handed the division to the Cowboys. Not to worry, Dallas isn't quite a superbowl team.

- The Raiders almost pulled off a big win. Maybe a late season run?

-Somebody please give me a reason not to believe that LT is the best player in the league.

-Congrats Lienhart on his 1st win!

-Vince Young, is it possible you can get the Titans to .500 by the end of the season? With the way Travis Henry is ballin', I wouldn't be surprized!

TROLL . . . ish.

- I feel for the Eagles. Always had respect for Donovan. Not sure which is the better option for them between Garcia and Feeley. All Feeley brought to SD as a backup was a hot girlfriend. He was cut because he was beaten out for the #2 QB spot by rookie Charlie Whitehurst, talented ex-Clemson QB.

- Shame about the Saints losing despite putting up over 500 yds of offense through the air alone. My boy Colston got me 0 fantasy points. Hope he heals up fast! Not just because he's on my fantasy team but because I want to see him play some more.

- I still think Da Bears are for real. Jets just happened to have a great gameplan, plus the Bears have some injury issues of their own.

- Best wishes to Favre. I'm guessing that Rogers didn't do much for The Pack, based on the score.

- My Chargers have had to score tons to make up for the injury depleted defense. ;) I was really proud to see them pull off the win despite the adversity. Just like in the Bengals game, even when your defense is surrendering yards and points, all it takes is a couple of big plays to stop the bleeding and turn the tide in your favor. The INT by somewhat beleaguered CB Drayton Florence was huge. The sack-and-fumble by Shaun Phillips literally ended the game. I continue to be impressed by our coaching staff's ability to come up with 2nd-half adjustments - we did not allow the Broncos into the end zone offensively. Our offensive line is playing at a level I haven't seen since the 1994 season. That Denver D was their toughest test, and they passed with flying colors. Last night was also the first time I saw LT carry 3 guys for the 1st-and-goal. Usually, he'll go down when 3 guys are on him, to minimize the risk of injury. But when he gets within 20 yds of the end zone, his desire to get to it is like that of a hungry cheetah chasing down its prey.

- Olshansky does not deserve to be fined to punching at Nalen. Nalen was obviously going for Igor's knees even though Plummer had already spiked the ball. I don't condone Igor losing his cool, but I can't condone a lineman deliberately trying to hurt another lineman.

Originally posted by GovernorSilver:

Olshansky does not deserve to be fined to punching at Nalen. Nalen was obviously going for Igor's knees even though Plummer had already spiked the ball. I don't condone Igor losing his cool, but I can't condone a lineman deliberately trying to hurt another lineman.

Was wondering when You were going to post after last nights big win. The Bolts are looking very good and without two of their best players on D. As for the incident I agree, they guy went after his knees. If they fine him, they need to fine Nalen equally if not more as well for his part.

Did anyone notice the 49ers are quietly creeping into contention for the division? Granted if and when Seattle gets to full strength their the best team but the 49ers have quietly put themselves into postion to have an impact of the division and have shown alot improvement.

- Rush

Originally posted by Silver Dragon Sound:

Originally posted by GovernorSilver:

[qb] Olshansky does not deserve to be fined to punching at Nalen. Nalen was obviously going for Igor's knees even though Plummer had already spiked the ball. I don't condone Igor losing his cool, but I can't condone a lineman deliberately trying to hurt another lineman.

Denver's love and use of the chop block and low hits are no secret to NFL defensive lineman.

Did anyone notice the 49ers are quietly creeping into contention for the division?

And Atlanta and St. Louis are quietly creeping out of contention, and Dallas has suddenly emerged as a high stakes player in the race for the second bye, and the Giants really really REALLY need to win tonight...

Did anyone notice the 49ers are quietly creeping into contention for the division?

And Atlanta and St. Louis are quietly creeping out of contention, and Dallas has suddenly emerged as a high stakes player in the race for the second bye, and the Giants really really REALLY need to win tonight...
And Green Bay is in second place in their division!

Good luck to your Giants, John.

Best,

Geoff

Not to worry Magpel..

Most of whats wrong with the Giants offense is fixable, O-line injuries aside. Like Kornheiser and co alluded to last night, Eli has got to throw to Shockey in the 1st quarter and 1st half of games, Almost exclusively.That combo has to look like McNair to Wycheck in the 1st half.

This will not only get them in gear, but will take pressure of the wide outs late in games.

TROLL . . . ish.

Archived