Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2006-2007 Thread

Dave Bryce

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Think about next week. At this point of the season, could there be any better matchups than New England vs Indy and The Giants vs The Bears? Both of these could be championship game previews. Anyone with opinions on these games? On the flip side the Raiders minus Brooks and Jordan play the Seahwaks minus Hasselback and Alexander on Monday night Football. That flex schedule for NBC sure must be a nice thing.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

The Patriots have 3 superstars i.e. Bob Kraft, Bill Belichick and Tom Brady.

No demanding RB, WR or TE, so they are free to run, pass or whatever it takes to win.

Sure wish my team's payroll wasn't the highest in the league. :rolleyes::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Originally posted by meccajay:

I don't know if Indy can win this game if they cannot stop the run. They can try outscoring the Pats if that works. Either way, great game ahead.

I don't even think stopping the run will make much difference. Indy uses the same cover 2 as Minnesota, only Minny's DB's are far better than Indy's - and you saw what happened there.

Final score (barring inclement weather)

Pats 41

Indy 37

Pats manage to get just enough stops to win on D.

I'm trying to make better pick 'em picks, so I'm looking at home and road records, O and D stats, etc.

Funny: The Chiefs are the damndest stalemate of a team. They score AND allow 21.7 pts a game. They rush for 112.1 a game and give up 112.7 in rushing yards. The pass yards gained/allowed are close too, but not freakishly close like the others. Welcome to Herm era at Arrowhead.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by Griffinator:

Final score (barring inclement weather)

Pats 41

Indy 37

I take it you're betting the over.

It's consternating that Indy can't ever seem to develop a viable NFL defense. Even in the years when they were supposed to be "better," it was really all a glamour. Freeney on the corner and nothing else. Reminds one, forebodingly, of the Marino Dolphins and the Fouts Chargers except (and I can't believe I'm saying this) Peyton might be better than even those two legends, two of my favorite QBs of all time.

Peyton's historic realtionship with Brady will mirror Marino-Montana, except that Tom reminds me far more of Bart Starr than of Joe Montana.

I'd love to see Peyton get a ring and validate his virtuosity. I don't buy for a moment that he's a big game choker. Sadly, I don't see it happening with this team. You can't shred all the best defenses every time. Teams have to be able to win in other ways, and the Colts just don't. Brady dinked and dunked his way and rode the leg of Vinatieri and an oddly timed invocation of an obscure rule to his first ring. Now, of course, he's an utter virtuoso, too. But everything, EVERYTHING, is always on the shoulders of Manning, like Marino before him, and Elway in the Reeves years.

Originally posted by Magpel:

It's consternating that Indy can't ever seem to develop a viable NFL defense.

Reminds one, forebodingly, of the Marino Dolphins and the Fouts Chargers.

Magpel, I was going to type the exact same thing yesterday. :thu:

The upside to Manning/Indy is that they still have a chance to get a ring.

I'm just surprised that Dungy of all coaches has not asked Polian to invest in a much better D.

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The best-kept secret about the Colts is, quite simply, that their passing game can be stopped, if you can stop the run first.

Dungy's offense is predicated on the play-action. If the defense doesn't respect the play-fake, the receivers don't open up. If the receivers don't open up, Peyton gets slaughtered (see '01, '03, '04 playoffs vs Pats)

Originally posted by GovernorSilver:

Another thing that amazes me about the Pats is how well their secondary has held up despite the injury bug and lack of big-name stars other than Rodney.

Another sign of excellent coaching. When they can stick almost anybody on the field without losing continuity, that says something about the staff on the sidelines.

Belicheck has a system that works. Heaven knows he has had enough years in the NFL to get it right. ;)

What's up with his son getting busted for weed though? :eek:

I guess he is not following dad's footsteps in the 'genius' department. :cool:

PD

Well, the simple reality is that Harrison makes that D a completely different animal. We all talked last year about the effect Bruschi's absence was having, but Rodney is the true leader, and he's the one that gives them a swagger and a nasty disposition like the one on display Monday night in Minny.

Harrison is definitely the glue in the secondary and probably across the board defensively.

It is still great to see young cats who have not made their stripes, yet, playing their a**es off.

That comes down to having great coaches and mentors like Harrison, Bruschi, etc.

PD

Originally posted by Griffinator:

Well, the simple reality is that Harrison makes that D a completely different animal. We all talked last year about the effect Bruschi's absence was having, but Rodney is the true leader, and he's the one that gives them a swagger and a nasty disposition like the one on display Monday night in Minny.

I agree the Pats D seems to have more of an attitude and confidence when he's in there. He always seems to come uop with a time hit, int, fumble recovery or sack that turns the game in the Pats favor.

- Rush

I miss Rodney.

His replacement recently got busted for selling cough syrup back to his homeys in Texas. :(

But more seriously, we've missed his leadership in our own secondary. Our latest attempt to fill that void is safety Marlon McCree, and so far he's worked out better for us than our previous veteran safety acquisitions.

I'm often wrong when it comes to predictions; but as we near midseason, these from August are holding true:

Originally posted on 8-13-2006 by Geoff Grace:

Originally posted by Silver Dragon Sound:

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

Congratulations to San Diego. They were a much better team than their record last year. I'll really be surprised if they don't make the playoffs this year.

While this certainly may be true, and I mean no disrespect when I say this, but do you think the packers could be that bad?

Well, yes and no.

Yes in that all of Green Bay's vets are a year older; and in most cases, that's not a good thing. Yes in that they have a new coaching staff that should make some rookie mistakes before they get it together. Yes in that the Packers lost kicker Ryan Longwell during the off-season, meaning they're likely to score fewer field goals this year. Yes, in that they've lost even more of their once great offensive line.

No in that Green Bay was also a much better team than their record last year. Injuries caused the Packers to field increasingly deep into their bench until they reached the point of hiring guys off the street to play on their team. If the Packers had remained healthy, they might well have made the playoffs for a fifth straight year. No in that the Packers' gradually improving defense was upgraded even more during the off-season, providing a more balanced attack.

I'd really be surprised to see Green Bay make the Super Bowl this year, but I'd also be quite surprised if they had a worse season this year than last. Injuries, or the lack thereof, could make a big impact. I think that's the key as to whether they'll finish above or below .500.

Oh, and just as a reminder about San Diego being that good: they were the team that ruined the Colts chance of an undefeated season last year (in week 15, beating them 26-17), and most of the Chargers' losses were by a narrow margin only their final two losses were by more than four points. Similarly, five of Green Bay's losses last year were by three points or less.

San Diego is now tied with Denver for first place in the AFC West; and if Green Bay beats Buffalo this week, they'll have already equalled their win total from last year and be a .500 team.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Ok my favorite teams are playing poorly this year and this isn't the first year this has happened. Wshen your team goes into the craapper, do you find yourself rooting for other teams? I always root against the same teams but I've always kind of rooted for a team and never admitted it. Over the past four years, I've noticed I am rooting more and more for this team. Just curious about your thoughts.

- Rush

The Skins pulled it out by a FG! What a crazy game ending. I'll take the win. :cool:

Another week of upsets, Miami over Chicago, Detroit over Atlanta and Buffalo over Green Bay. :eek:

PD

Wow, no one in the pool got a piece of the year's biggest upset. Shame. I didn't see the game, but, damn, wrecked on your home field by the Dolphins? Major reassessment of the Bears is in order, I guess.

Today I let a pundit influence me into some last minute changes. His Name is Steve Cohn, and he's an injury report expert. Because of his inside report, I changed NO to TB and lost, KC to Stl and lost. On the upside, he gave me the Detroit pick with an excellent rationale. So -1 after his influence.

I had Dallas, but as a Giants fan, I'm happy to be disappointed :freak:

Game of the year #1 tonight. Indy needs homefield throughout, as we know, and thus needs this game. They've already got the tiebreaker with Denver.

Game of the year #2 next week, with the Giants playing for pole position in the race for homefield and the bye. Can't wait!

They say you usually don't want to play a good team after a bad loss, but I don't think that rule is in effect for NYG=CHI. How could they be any more UP than they're going to be for that game regardless of this week? I like it better that they are now questioning their dominance. Crack in the facade.

Giants need to get healthy in a hurry tho. We're an IC unit right now.

Go figure I win 4 games picking with no spread and 8 games using the spread. Isn't it supposed to be harder with the spread?

I went with a few teams against what I normally would have picked and of course I picked them wrong. I may need to pull a Costanza and pick the opposite of everything I think.

- Rush

Wow, no one in the pool got a piece of the year's biggest upset. Shame. I didn't see the game, but, damn, wrecked on your home field by the Dolphins? Major reassessment of the Bears is in order, I guess.

If so, then it's probably overdue. The Bears' offense is vulnerable when it comes to turnovers. They almost gave the game to Arizona; and today, they gave it to Miami. That's not to say they aren't one of the best teams in the league; it's just that they need to learn how to hold on to the ball.

Game of the year #1 tonight. Indy needs homefield throughout, as we know, and thus needs this game. They've already got the tiebreaker with Denver.

All but three of us think Indianapolis' undefeated streak ends tonight.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

You have to stop and think about Miami beating the Bears.

1985 - the only loss the Bears have is to Miami. Coincidence?

This team however seems different. This is the 2nd game Rex has looked horrible in.

The Dallas game :eek:

One of the strangest endings to a game I have ever seen.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

Indy's up at least two over everyone in the conference with tiebreakers over Denver and NE! Talk about "pole position!" That's effectively a three game lead, with San Diego as the best reaaining spoiler.

I was slightly somewhat impressed with their second half defense, and with the Colts that's saying something.

Was Harrison's 2nd TD the best catch of the year? The adjustment, the composure, the foot work. I wish they'd show those replays once in real time after all the slow-mo angles.

The Pats came out strong, but that first pick just kinda let all the air out of their bag, offensively.

The D played their hearts out - but there's only so much you can do against that offense. Tom just had a terrible night, although the last two picks certainly weren't his fault.

Congrats to Indy - maybe this will be the year they don't choke in the playoffs!

Meanwhile, the Pats have Chicago in 2 weeks, and it almost looks like the blueprint for beating them is already in place....

Was Harrison's 2nd TD the best catch of the year? The adjustment, the composure, the foot work. I wish they'd show those replays once in real time after all the slow-mo angles.

The Taunting penalty still makes me laugh. Other receivers go through all sorts of crazy antics and don't draw a flag. Harrison spikes the ball, and gets the Taunting penalty. Then again - for Harrison, that IS taunting...
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

The flag was for spiking it AT someone - namely, Asante Samuel, the DB who had been harassing him all night...

There were a number of far more questionable flags thrown that game. Troy Brown gets it for taunting because he tossed the ball back towards the official and a Colt player steps in the way?

Both taunting calls were wrong--neither looked intentional to me.

Patriots caught a HUGE break with the fourth down sneak. Replays looked pretty conclusive to me that Brady didn't make it. Exactly how they were so confident in that mark, I have no idea.

Archived