Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2006-2007 Thread

Dave Bryce

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by meccajay:

Originally posted by MikeT156:

Meccajay.

A running back is only as good as his offensive line

For the record, I think Edge has another 2-3 years left in him. Just my opinion though.
Arizona - where great running backs go to die.

:(

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Goodness lawd, yesterday was Michaels Vicks revenge on the bastion of critics who say he can't throw. 4 TD passes and a win against the SB champs! Congrats Mike!

That was a game for the ages, Vick with 4 TD's, Ben with 3, then 2 more by Batch aftyer Ben was knocked out. Game of the day had to be Hines Ward though.. 8 caches, 171 yards, and 3 TD's. That run for 60 plus yards, half of them with with one shoe on!! Great stuff!

TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by meccajay:

Goodness lawd, yesterday was Michaels Vicks revenge on the bastion of critics who say he can't throw. 4 TD passes and a win against the SB champs! Congrats Mike!

That was a game for the ages, Vick with 4 TD's, Ben with 3, then 2 more by Batch aftyer Ben was knocked out. Game of the day had to be Hines Ward though.. 8 caches, 171 yards, and 3 TD's. That run for 60 plus yards, half of them with with one shoe on!! Great stuff!

It was a great game to watch. While I'm not a fan of either team, it was fun. If your a football fan at all and like offense, this was a great game to watch. On my Fantasy team I had the Atlanta QB as my team QB which was great, unfortunately my opponent had the Pittsburgh Team QB. :mad:;)

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

My thoughts on the Raiders:

As you know, it's very, very hard for any team to go undefeated, which is why it's only happened once in NFL history. Lots of teams come close... 14-2, 13-3 and so on. But it's really difficult to go 16-0.

So, here's my thought: as bad as the Raiders are, I'm using the reverse of that winner's logic to say that going without a win over an entire season is equally as unlikely. At some point, you're going to be paired against a team that's almost as bad as you, and you're going to have a better-than-average day, and they're going to stink up the joint so badly that you actually win.

So.. congratulations, Raiders. Savor it, because according to the schedule I'm looking over, your next win may be next season. ;)

- Jeff

Quote by MeccaJay:

--------------------------------

Game of the day had to be Hines Ward though.. 8 caches, 171 yards, and 3 TD's. That run for 60 plus yards, half of them with with one shoe on!! Great stuff!

--------------------------------

Yep, Hines is a great player. He's one of the few bright spots in the Steelers LAME ass performance this season. What an embarassment. Steeler fans are NOT happy campers this season. Too many mistakes. They're playing like a bunch of chumps, not SB champs. :bor:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Props to:

- Bucs for rising up and upsetting the Eagles. That 62 yarder was amazing. Ronde, unlike his bro, does not look like he's ready to retire anytime soon, as evidenced by his two picks for scores.

- Vick, for throwing more than 2 TDs in one game for the first time. I saw Joey Porter standing on the sidelines in street clothes though. That might have helped.

- Chiefs linemen, for dominating our Charger lines on both sides.

- Vikings, for properly exploiting a battered Seahawks team. Can't wait to see them take on the Bears again.

I can't give complete props to my boy Philip, because he did commit 2 turnovers that were converted to 14 points. But I do recognize that he refused to roll over and die for the Chiefs, and led a comeback attempt (27 points) that was ultimately stifled by a Chiefs FG.

Our Charger D entered the game already missing Igor Olshansky. His job as DE in our system is to push the pocket and take on blockers to free up LBs to rush the QB. One of our best pass-rushing LBs, Shaun Phillips was lost to a calf injury and will be out 4-6 weeks. Our other top pass rusher, Merriman, will be out 4 weeks on suspension for taking steroids. Igor is also out the next 4 weeks. So those of you who might have the Chargers D on your fantasy team - consider benching it or dropping it. :(

I'm still keeping Rivers as my fantasy QB. He's going to have to keep throwing the ball, because our offense is going to have to control the clock and score to make up for our defensive deficiencies. He seems up to the task, so he's a good bet in that regard.

Originally posted by Jeff Klopmeyer:

it's really difficult to go 16-0.

(snip)

going without a win over an entire season is equally as unlikely.

Since 1950, the only NFL teams to have played a whole season without a victory have been the 1960 Dallas Cowboys (0-11-1) and the 1976 Tampa Bay Buccaneers (0-14). ( Source )

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

Since 1950, the only NFL teams to have played a whole season without a victory have been the 1960 Dallas Cowboys (0-11-1) and the 1976 Tampa Bay Buccaneers (0-14). ( Source )

Best,

Geoff

One of my all-time favorite NFL quotes was by Bucs coach John McKay, from around that time:

"Execution? I'm in favor of it!" - McKay, when asked about the Bucs' execution. I first read it in a Tampa Tribune article covering the Bucs' QB curse that was finally broken by Brad Johnson.

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

Since 1950, the only NFL teams to have played a whole season without a victory have been the 1960 Dallas Cowboys (0-11-1) and the 1976 Tampa Bay Buccaneers (0-14).

There I go being right again. :D

Thanks Geoff.

- Jeff

Originally posted by GovernorSilver:

One of my all-time favorite NFL quotes was by Bucs coach John McKay, from around that time:

"Execution? I'm in favor of it!" - McKay, when asked about the Bucs' execution.

LOL! Yeah, that's a good one all right. :D

There I go being right again. :D

Thanks Geoff.

And, to paraphrase your point above, it's as equally difficult to be right all of the time as it is to never be right. ;)

Originally posted by Silver Dragon Sound:

I think the game today may cost Denny his job.

I hate to think that his do or die game may be next week against my Packers. :(

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Do any of you guys find it odd that EVERY year for the past 4-5 years, the experts pick Arizona for their sleeper team at pre-season, and they're ALWAYS wrong, for whatever reason (coaching, injuries, wash-out rookies, washed-up used-to-be's, and so on)?

- Jeff

It's not like they are not making an effort. They bring in a big time free agent in the Edge, they fill some gaps in their defense, they sign Lienhart for big $$. They made all the right moves. I was one of those people who thought they would make a move towards being a legitimate contender this year.

There is nobody left to blame it on right now except for Denny. But who would you bring in to turn it around?

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

Originally posted by MidLifeCrisis:

They made all the right moves.

Not really. Arizona's #1 problem for the last 6 years has been their offensive line. They don't pass-protect, and they don't run-block. This is the problem that will prevent them from ever being a contender.

Back before Edge, they had a great young running back in Marcel Shipp. He ended up in the annals of "bust" RB's because he couldn't run behind that line either. Emmitt Smith couldn't - they blamed him for being a has-been. And QB's - every QB they've ever had has struggled because they have to think TOO fast - they can't do their checkdowns because the pocket is collapsing faster than a supernova in gravity flux! So QB after QB struggles to get the offense moving, because 3-man fronts are getting pressure on them.

Nope, they haven't made all the right moves. Just like Oakland, the Cards will continue to stink until they get a good O-Line together.

You all know this, but the fan must say it anyway: first place means little right now, but the Giants are 3-0 in the division, all three on the road. And they look, dare I say it, somewhat dominant.

This is the best I've seen their O-line/running game in years.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

As you know, it's very, very hard for any team to go undefeated, which is why it's only happened once in NFL history. Lots of teams come close... 14-2, 13-3 and so on. But it's really difficult to go 16-0.

...which has never happened in the regular season, if memory serves. I believe the '72 Dolphins were 14-0, not 16-0...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

...which has never happened in the regular season, if memory serves. I believe the '72 Dolphins were 14-0, not 16-0...

dB

Indeed and for further historical perspective, only the sheer wizardry of Dan Marino--who was in the middle of the greatest season any QB has ever had--stopped the '85-86 Bears from going undefeated in the regular season.

Then it was those darn, pesky, lucky, overachieveing wildcard Patriots, led by the Bledsoe-Romo tag team of Grogan and Eason, who kept the Dolphins out of a Super Bowl rematch with the Bears. What a game that might have been. I'll tell you one thing: it wouldn't have been 46-10.

dB

Actually, I believe it was 13-0 in the regular season. 3 playoff games.

Then it was those darn, pesky, lucky, overachieveing wildcard Patriots, led by the Bledsoe-Romo tag team of Grogan and Eason, who kept the Dolphins out of a Super Bowl rematch with the Bears. What a game that might have been. I'll tell you one thing: it wouldn't have been 46-10. [/QB]
True on all points, coming from a Pats fan who watched all those games. "Overacheiving" would be the most apt description of that team.

Originally posted by Griffinator:

True on all points, coming from a Pats fan who watched all those games. "Overacheiving" would be the most apt description of that team.

I'm hard pressed to remember who was even on that team. They probably had that vintage set of receivers in Morgan and Fryer...was Fryer there yet? Craig James was their leading rusher, perhaps. The QB tandem was practically a blueprint duplicate of the Woodley-Strock combo that somehow got the Dolphins to the SB a few years before.

Well, I guess they must have had a pretty good defense then.

Originally posted by Griffinator:

Actually, I believe it was 13-0 in the regular season. 3 playoff games.

Well, you can believe that if you choose to...

The Dolphins were 14-0 in the regular season, then they beat Cleveland and Pittsburgh in the playoffs, and finally the Redskins in the Super Bowl 14 to 7.

Originally posted by steadyb:

Well, you can believe that if you choose to...

The Dolphins were 14-0 in the regular season, then they beat Cleveland and Pittsburgh in the playoffs, and finally the Redskins in the Super Bowl 14 to 7.

I choose to believe that the Dolphins were actually 11-0 in the regular season and were awarded three additional wins by President Nixon in recognition of the role Csonka, Kiick, Buonconti, Shula, and Ypremian played in helping to curtail Cuban immigration. I further believe that this was all revealed in Garo's autobiography: Armenian? Your Menian! But, as I say, this is just what I choose to believe and we're all entitled to our beliefs, as my mother would always say before telling me I was wrong about something.

;)

Good win for the Giants. Quite a difference from the Seattle game. I was a little surprised Dallas went to Romo at the half. Clearly that last pass Bledsoe threw was awful, but I don't know about pulling him there. I know it was a cumulative thing, but the game was still winable at that point; and maybe you let Bledsoe finish the game.

Just what they need more controversy. :D

Next week has some very interesting pickem' games. Indy at Denver for instance. Hmmm

Archived