Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Montreal KC jam session last weekend

Mark Zeger

I just came back from a few days in frigid Montreal. On Sunday afternoon, David R (on piano) and I (on flugelhorn) got together at McGill Univ. to play a couple hours worth of standards: "'Round Midnight", "All The Things You Are", "Stella By Starlight", etc.

Thanks, Dave, for the opportunity. It was great to make music with such a strong player. Good luck with your music studies at McGill and with your next recital (nice choice with that Djavan tune).

Back to the woodshed...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool! :cool::thu:

Things like these should happen more often!

Speaking of frigid Montreal, I reckon that you did a lot of "warm-up" before jamming? ;)

P.S.: speaking of McGill, I still have their complete sample library.

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Very cool. In July, I participated in a Baltimore KC jam organized by Tinderarts. It was a really great experience. About 7 people showed up, many fewer than expected, but we all had a great time. In addition to KC members, we got to jam with local prog drummer Chris Mack, and that was a great experience in and of itself.

Ben

It's cool to hang out with folks from this forum. Glad you guy's did it. I missed the jam in Baltimore by a week. I traveled up there the week before.

:thu::D

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Originally posted by gangsu:

I am so jealous. You're a great player, Mr Zeger. Next time travel a bit further north.

Dave did much of the great playing on Sunday. Since he was on the only comping instrument, it was all on him when he took a few choruses on each tune.

My solos may have suffered because of the weak US vs. Canada exchange rate. My playing was only 0.86 as good it should have been.

Originally posted by Mark Zeger:

Originally posted by gangsu:

I am so jealous. You're a great player, Mr Zeger. Next time travel a bit further north.

Dave did much of the great playing on Sunday. Since he was on the only comping instrument, it was all on him when he took a few choruses on each tune.

Sorry Dave, didn't mean to bump you! I blurted out my envy without thinking. And on second thought, maybe it's better Zeger stays away from me...I once had a 10yr crush on a forearm. Horn-players..

:rolleyes::D

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Did I mention that I look just like Chris Botti?

;)

Unlike Botti, I play without all that annoying, cloudy, atmospheric reverb.

:bor:

Dan South and Dave R have met me so I know they'll back me up. Right, guys?

:D

(While I kid about Botti, I'd love to have his career.)

Did you play publicly or privately?

I go to McGill as well (not in music though :( )

If you guys ever play in Pollack hall of Clara Lichtenstein (spelling?) make sure you message me privately or even put up a post. I'd love to hear and meet some forum members especially when they're a 5 minute walk away :) .

Take care.

ok Zeger, I guess you'll never know you're making me laugh if I don't say so. :D Any instrument played with the lips is atmospheric, sorry. But maybe you're right, maybe Botti needs to beef it up a little. I bought the album "When I Fall in Love" about a year ago - looking for arrangement ideas since the song list was similar to what I find myself playing with a trumpeter here in town. I picked up on a couple and didn't listen to the CD again. But to my surprise, when I played it a second time over Christmas, Hey I LIKED IT. And it was doubly interesting to me since the backup guys were names I've read about on this forum....Greg Phillinganes for one. Small world when you get right down to it.

Dan-

:D

I appreciate Herb Alpert far more as a businessman than a trumpet player, but who doesn't like The Tijuana Brass? "Whipped Cream and Other Delights"? :thu:

Gangsu-

I took my teenage trumpet playing daughter to see Botti here last June. I took her to hear Wynton with the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra last December. She prefers Wynton. :cool:

Isn't Chris Botti the KennyG of trumpet...?

Doesn't he have a box set entitled "I Would Love To Make Your Ears Bleed"

Maybe I'm thinking of someone else... :freak:

You should have waited until this weekend to come up Mark, the weather's going to be even more interesting. :confused:

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Montage M7, MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XS Rack, PolyEvolver, Voyager, Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Originally posted by DanS:

Isn't Chris Botti the KennyG of trumpet...?

Is he??! well no matter, I'd be crazy to turn down a 'jam in a combo room' with either one of them.

So getting back to Montreal, David, I read your bio and see you've studied with Joe Sullivan. Cool! His style is a bit over my head, but what a super talented family. I live in his home town.(guess that's my claim to fame!)(Say hi for me. Well, his mother knows me. :mad:;) )

The Alpert comparison is more apt. Insofar as Botti's trumpet, drowned in an ocean of reverb, makes me want to run away from the television as quickly as possible.

Wow, small world, gangsu. Joe's been really supportive of a lot of my arranging efforts and I thank him immensely for that.

David

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Originally posted by David R:

The Alpert comparison is more apt. Insofar as Botti's trumpet, drowned in an ocean of reverb, makes me want to run away from the television as quickly as possible.

well, I had no idea who he was til i bought the album, and I still say anybody who can suspend a note in the atmosphere like he can, is a fine player. I don't care what he looks like.

Wow, small world, gangsu. Joe's been really supportive of a lot of my arranging efforts and I thank him immensely for that.

:thu: Looks good on you, Dave. :)

Archived