Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Laurie Z

Dave Bryce

Although I didn't know her from the forum, her music is beautiful. She will be missed.

Don :cry:

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very sad. Laurie gave a DG8 clinic when I worked at Washington Music Center. Even though there was a small turn out, she was very gracious; she played wonderfully, very informative, very entertaining, did the job as if it were a packed house - very professional. She was a fine human being. One of the many excellent memories and people I interracted with while in retail.

Composer/Performer at Roger Hooper Music

Product Trainer at CASIO

www.rogerhooper.com

This is shocking news - I had no idea that Laurie was sick. I had never met her, but I remember her music and her contributions to the forum very well. A wonderful musician, an excellent piano player and a very nice person.

Very, very sad.

I had the privilege of meeting Laurie at a forum dinner a few years ago. She was indeed a stellar musician and a peach of a human being.

Everyone at the magazine is saddened to hear of her passing, and those who knew her and/or her music are honored to have done so. I spoke to Ernie today, who got the news from Dave, and I'll bring up remembering her in our "Departures" column next time I see him, which should be tomorrow.

We'll miss you, Laurie.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Originally posted by Stephen Fortner:

I had the privilege of meeting Laurie at a forum dinner a few years ago.

That was our first forum dinner . I really enjoyed that night.

Originally posted by Stephen Fortner:

She was indeed a stellar musician and a peach of a human being.

Everyone at the magazine is saddened to hear of her passing, and those who knew her and/or her music are honored to have done so. I spoke to Ernie today, who got the news from Dave, and I'll bring up remembering her in our "Departures" column next time I see him, which should be tomorrow.

That would be great, Stephen!

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Laurie's funeral will be in in Everett WA this Sunday (2/12). Her family and friends are also going to have memorial services in both LA and Camano Island, WA in the next few weeks, and I'll update this thread as I hear more.

If you need more information, please contact me by private message and I'll get back to you with more details.

I remember Laurie Z from the compilation CD that she participated in a few years ago. I remember she played an Alesis DG8. I also remember she must have sang on it because I remember thinkinh she had a sweet and warm voice.

She also participated on the forum a few times and I recall her saying she was moving to Seattle. She seemed to be always kind and gentle. Although I barely knew her, I am saddened to hear of her untimely departure.

I also have to say that this community here has been amazing! Beginning with those who have helped her physically and in other ways to the ones who didn't know her but contributed their heart felt sympathies.

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

I was something hesitant to say this, because I didn't know Laurie if not for her music and her posts on internet forums, so I was waiting for some of her friends to step in...

But I think the thought is on the mind of many forum members by now. Why not to dedicate the upcoming KC compilation to Laurie?

Originally posted by marino:

I was something hesitant to say this, because I didn't know Laurie if not for her music and her posts on internet forums, so I was waiting for some of her friends to step in...

But I think the thought is on the mind of many forum members by now. Why not to dedicate the upcoming KC compilation to Laurie?

Excellent suggestion that I'm gonna copy/paste in that other thread.

LAURIE'S LEGACY

Laurie's personal legacy lives on in each of us who were fortunate enough to know her. She also left us a variety of music and words that are still available today:

Laurie not only created a lot of great music , she also released a video guide to releasing an independent CD and she posted 388 times at this site.

Here's a link to Laurie\'s last 50 posts at MusicPlayer.com .

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

OMG......I'm really late in posting. I had no idea about this tragity until the other thread when we were talking about a dedication CD to her.

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear about this....I too remember her on the threads and some of her comments about Taxi to get some of her music out there. She was an excellent musician.

The last I heard from her on the forums was when she moved North. So very sad..and what a loss.

Jazzman

I'm sorry to learn of this too. :(

I think music is a gift from Heaven, and holds some of the soul of the performer, so I hope that Laurie's music continues to touch hearts and minds as it remains with us. It's a legacy which not many people can leave behind. Hopefully when I pass from this realm to that better place, I'll have something remotely as good to remind a few people of me.

This keyboard solo has obviously been tampered with!

• 3 months later...

Hello all,

I was informed of this thread and haven't read the whole thing but wanted all those who are in the region of So CA to know there is a memorial service in Laurie Z's honor being held in Redondo Beach on Sunday June 11th. It will also honor her husband Micheal who passed away about 10 months before Laurie. Should you wish to attend, we would greatly appreciate knowing however, all who wish to attend and honor our beloved Laurie are most welcome! I have included the evite link below with all the location and time information. Thank you to all who remember and honor our beloved Laurie. We miss her so very much! Always, Laura Hunter

http://www.evite.com/pages/invite/viewInvite.jsp?inviteId=ANAFDPPUPMBMJTTCDDVD&li=iq&src=email&trk=aer6

Archived