Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

loud mini Leslies

Mark Vail

I'm hoping someone might know the answer to this question from a friend: "I keep hearing about a small, really loud, non-Motion Sound upper/lower rotor that some guys are packing around LA clubs."

Any idea what he's talking about?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, this is one of my favorite subjects!

But until something small and light comes along, I'm a committed sim user.

I finally called Motion Sound to find out more about thier new rotary amplifier, the PRO-3X. They won't give out complete specs, but it will have the same power output as the PRO-3t, weigh about the same, and cost less> It will have no tube, but will have a digital simulated overdrive, and an improved low rotor simulator.

I think that I will continue to use the built in simulator in my Roland VK-8m.

I wish somebody would do the impossible, and a build a small, light Leslie 122 clone.

I'll just have to dream on...........

Cheers,

Bill

Jeep I have the Speakeasy without that sub- it's a full size leslie 125 cabinet, about 100lbs. Not huge, but not small either.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

No I don't think that the Speakeasy Roadbox speaker will do it for me. They look like very nice units, and probably sound much like real Lesles. But that's because they almost are. They're the same size as Leslie 142's and 145's, and look like the weigh about the same.

I want light and small, no bigger than a Motion Sound Pro-145, which comes the closest to what I'm looking for at present.

Cheers,

Bill

The 2101 sounds great by itself, especially if you're playing with a band through a PA, where the extra low end the 2121 brings on-stage is not as important. When the band is cranking, I'm quite happy with the sound of the top unit by itself, and don't miss the bottom end of the 2121.

The 2101 is fairly loud by itself, but I manage to get it buried by the band in my blues band (typical rhythm section plus three horns), so you'll probably want to consider miking it through the PA with bigger bands or on louder gigs.

Current live rig: Roland RD700SX, Hammond XK-3 with Leslie System 21, and Muse Receptor. Also a Nord Stage 76 other times instead. And a Roland FP-7 for jazz gigs.

HOME: Kawai MP8 + a bunch of VI's.

Could be the Spin Doctor mini-Leslies made by a small mom & pop shop in New Orleans called The Organ Doctor. They are tiny Leslies with actual Leslie components and they weigh less than the Pro-145. I almost bought one last year, but they were impacted by Katrina and not sure if they got the business going again. I have some photos I'll try to share later. Sweet design that came with a slot to slide in your own Leslie amp (or they would sell you one). A couple of pros are known users of the Spin Doctor and they were selling them through eBay for awhile (VERY small operation only building them to order).

Regards,

Eric

Originally posted by mate_stubb:

Eric,

Did they use a 12" or a 15" for the woofer?

12" woofer. I found some photos on my webspace I put up a long time ago. If anyone wants to try and contact the "Organ Doctor," send me a PM. I'm pretty sure their business is defunct due to Katrina. Pretty cool design with the telescoping handle and wheels.

Big Spin Doctor Pic

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/eslawson/spin_2.JPG

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/eslawson/spin_3.JPG

Regards,

Eric

I see the spot for the upper motor - the belt is off...

I think the feller's name was Liddel Newshome (sp?).

Also thought he was out of Baton Rouge.

I had a custom box like that for a while with a 15". Comes very close to the bigger leslies. Great for travel and larger venues (IMO). Mine lacked the low/mid warm gooeyness you get from a real wood leslie, but that gets lost a lot on the big/loud venues anyway.

Originally posted by The Captain:

I see the spot for the upper motor - the belt is off...

I think the feller's name was Liddel Newshome (sp?).

Also thought he was out of Baton Rouge.

I had a custom box like that for a while with a 15". Comes very close to the bigger leslies. Great for travel and larger venues (IMO). Mine lacked the low/mid warm gooeyness you get from a real wood leslie, but that gets lost a lot on the big/loud venues anyway.

The Organ Doctor is David Tarantolo from New Orleans. I've transacted with him on small items and almost ordered the Spin Doctor last year. Then Katrina came along and flooded his shop and I've barely heard from him since then.

I'll have to dig out the details, but there is a DVD or two of live groups playing with the Spin Doctor in tow.

Regards,

Eric

I had a Leslie 860 for quite awhile, and this looks to be almost an updated version with a tube amp instead of a solid state. Judging from the picture, I would say they are almost the exact same size. 12" woofer as well.

But man, the handle and wheels set up is slick!

Archived