Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Game soundtrack/composer fans?

captainmri

I was sitting here last night playing an old copy of MEDAL OF HONOR FRONTLINE for gamecube. The soundtrack is great. I am a fan of soundtrack music be it cinema or video game platform. Anybody here have any personal favorites as far as videogaming goes? The gaming platform does not matter. Just curious...
chip

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've loved game music since the Colecovision and the SID chip on the Commodore 64.

More recently, I like the soundtrack to the 2000 game "Deus Ex" for the PC. Very atmospheric, in an X-Files way.

I am sure more soundtracks will come to mind when I think of them, but I also know that there are some very accomplished and well regarded game composers such as Jesper Kyd and Jeremy Soule.

Ben

Ooh, what about the Blade Runner game for PC. That's worth a mention.

And I forgot my recent favorite for GC which is Metroid: Prime. A great all around game, reviewed as "quite possibly the most atmospheric game of all time." Its cheap these days as Echoes has been released and Prime is 3 or 4 years old now.

Has anyone used their old C64 as a MIDI controlled synth? I've read about some people doing this and would like to give it a try.

I have always been partial to the "Jazz Jackrabbit" series (Not JJ2). Maybe it is because it took so long to get it into a format we could listen to without playing the game.

Don

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

Originally posted by Darren Landrum:

I'm a fan of Nobuo Uematsu of Final Fantasy fame. The music from FFX was great, some of it really top notch stuff, especially the "Zanarkand Theme" played on solo piano. The orchestral treatments was great, too.

Yeah, his stuff is awesome. My favorite music comes from FF7 and FF10.

One other favorite is the "world" or "wanderer" theme from Ultima III on the Commodore 64. This is the song you heard when wandering around the world map. It would make a great solo harpsichord piece.

There's a great tune that was the theme for a space shoot'em-up game on the old Atari 800XL. I can't recall the game, but I can still here the tune in my head. Maybe one of these days I'll try to recreate it.

Darren Landrum

I know it's been mentioned, but Nobuo is a mad pimp. Anyone seen Black Mages live? Both keyboardists (nobuo and the other guy) rule!

Chrono Trigger(Yatsuri... something) also has really good music. Zelda of course, and let's not forget Mario. (hey, listen to the end theme for Super Mario World, it kicks ace)

But yeah, I was raised on games, so I know exactly where you're goin.

"...Keytar in a heavy metal band is nothing more than window dressing" - Sven Golly

Cursed Eternity - My Band

Dick Ward - My Me

Archived