Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I shot the sheriff - organ break - odd time sig ?

The Captain

Clapton Version...

Organ Riff/Break after the third time of the signature lick...

Is that in straight time ?

Sounds like it might have an extra bar or something.

I compared to the marley/legend version, but they don't do the wacky break...

thx in advance

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only version of this tune that I have for reference is the live version on the Crossroads compilation, so I'm not sure if it differs from the studio version or not.

The live version does have the organ riff... and is played at a tempo of around 90bpm.

The 'regular' iterations of the riff are played over 10 beats... or two full bars and one half bar, if you prefer. The 3rd iteration with the organ breakdown is played over 18 bars, with the organist turning the beat around and playing against time somewhat. That's what makes it sound 'wacky'.

Again, I'm not sure how the live version is different from the studio, so this may not be applicable to that version.

Simple enough to check, though... either set up a metronome against the studio track, or count it out while tapping 1/8th notes... the drums should come back in on the 3 of the 3rd bar during the regular ones, and on the 3 of the 5th bar of the organ breakdown.

Hope this helps,

SG

I do beleive the live version is just as Sven described it. There is a three beat pause at the end before the signature organ lick kicks it back off for the band.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Archived