Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord Stage...AND RD700SX

mooghead

Hi guys...it seems the Nord Stage is a piece which is being talked quite a lot these days.

My present set-up is made of a Roland RD700SX with orchestral and vintage expansions on the lower tier and a Nord Electro 73 on the upper tier. I use a Quiklok Stand, the Monolith M-92. I play seated because I tend to use pedals a lot.

I'm pretty satisfied by this combination but...

but sometimes I feel I lack "keyboard space" and even if I split the Roland as much as possible I find my self changing presets and active zone much too often, both on the Clavia and Roland.

Maybe a Nord Stage would be the solution: multitimbrality, larger keyboard, basic sinth sounds (I'm not a programmer).

Thus I could piano on the Roland and organ+lead on the Nord; or Piano+Pad on the Nord to make better use on Roland orchestral sounds...

Nord Stage+expanded RD700SX would make for a killer set up...capable of anything.

Just 2 doubts:

- is the weighted keyboard of the Nord really suitable for organ playing? I play lots of organ parts, but I'm more of a piano player, not really an organ player.

- are 18 kilograms too much for a second tier of such a stand as the Quiklok Monolith?

I'm eagerly awaiting for Stage users' opinions :wave:

Ciao :wave:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not a Stage user, but I think that your setup is already optimal as it is so...

"don't go changing!"

Ciao!

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

I would keep the rig that you have and be very happy with it. Even though the Stage is lighter than many 88-note keyboards, I doubt you would be very happy gigging with two 88-note instruments.

One option to consider that would be a total revamp (if you are really GAS-ing that much for new toys) would be to get the STAGE and another synth to go with it for wilder sounds and also as a controller for the organ sounds in the STAGE.

I'm still real curious about the STAGE, but quite complacent with my S90 + Electro rig. I don't have any burning need to get a STAGE aside from sheer curiosity. I'm sure I would love it, but cannot see myself gigging with just the STAGE or a STAGE + Electro rig. Too much overlap and there are sounds in my S90 I cannot get with the STAGE. So I'm hanging tight with what I have until such time that I have some cash burning a hole in my pocket to buy the STAGE.

Regards,

Eric

Originally posted by eric:

One option to consider that would be a total revamp (if you are really GAS-ing that much for new toys) would be to get the STAGE and another synth to go with it for wilder sounds and also as a controller for the organ sounds in the STAGE.

I'd love this kind of set...but the songs we play require all this kind of acoustic and orchestral sounds I couldn't find in a Stage+Virus set up for example. It seems band companions really do not appreciate me using 8888 8888 8 for brass parts or sinth strings for orchestra parts :(

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

Originally posted by Dreamer:

Hmmm... GAS at work again, uh? ;)

I get around. :cool:
Tom,

what kind of Avatar is that? :eek:

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Originally posted by ewall08530:

Hey Moooghead,

I was thinking of buying the Quikloc Monlith 2 tier stand. How easy is it to set up, tear down and carry. Any wobble or shaking while playing?

I'd be using a Roland RD 300SX on the bottom and a Triton Extreme 61 on top.

Set up - tear down is the easiest ever

Carrying it is not that easy because even when folded takes much space

Wobble and shaking...depends on how you play. With my style it wobbles and shakes, but not too much, not to a worrying level.

Playing ergonomy is great, both sitting on a low stool or standing: perfect height of tiers and good visibility and access to controls.

Ciao

The only way to go to much more load-in, set up and load out trouble - not to mention the room it'd take up - would be to go to a chopped B3, a real moog and a Yamaha Grand. I don't know about you guys, but many of the stages, and rooms I play at, have space at a real premium. I usually don't use even one88. I don't want to cram two 88's into my Ford Focus!
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Gas, is that a bisquit with streak o lean? It takes a southern boy to appreciate that.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

mooghead, do you use SETUPs on the RD700SX or are you just patch switching? With SETUPs you could be controlling all of your splits and layers with one button, plus you could use them to switch patches on the Electro. Are you playing your Electro sounds from the RD700SX keyboard?

I use that Monolith stand for some gigs. It does get wobbly the more weight you put on the uppoer tier.

Busch.

[/qb]

I'd love this kind of set...but the songs we play require all this kind of acoustic and orchestral sounds I couldn't find in a Stage+Virus set up for example. It seems band companions really do not appreciate me using 8888 8888 8 for brass parts or sinth strings for orchestra parts :( [/QB]

This is the exact thing that kept me from getting the Stage. Unless the gig is a straight up blues or jazz gig, keyboard players are expected to cover the sound of any instrument/effect that is not already represented in the band. And this is why I chose the S90ES over the Stage although otherwise, I really wanted the Stage.

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

Originally posted by burningbusch:

mooghead, do you use SETUPs on the RD700SX or are you just patch switching? With SETUPs you could be controlling all of your splits and layers with one button, plus you could use them to switch patches on the Electro. Are you playing your Electro sounds from the RD700SX keyboard?

I use that Monolith stand for some gigs. It does get wobbly the more weight you put on the uppoer tier.

Busch.

I use set-ups, but since I like to use lots of different sounds...thus I'm often changing set-ups, activating zoness, splits and so on.

No plan to control the Electro from the RD. My idea to control the RD from the Electro (having a split with Electro-organ and RD controlled sound) crumbled under the realization that the Nord doesn't trasmit velocity when used in organ mode.

I'd really like to keep using 2 boards instead of 3. Last year I was using 4...but it was way too much! ;)

I don't want 3 because I know that as soon I realize I need a second stand I would ask my self "now that I got a L configuration...why not going for the fourth!?" :cool:

http://images.usatoday.com/life/_photos/2005/12/06/charliebrown-ptier.jpg

Aaaah!!

Much better!! :thu:

Your keyboard setup is exactly the same as mine except I also have a Motif Rack. You may want to consider adding a rack module of some different manufacturer. That way you can dig a little deepr into the very fine MIDI capabilites of the RD-700SX.

mark

�Ah, music," he said, wiping his eyes. "A magic beyond all we do here!�

J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Originally posted by musicbysterling:

Your keyboard setup is exactly the same as mine except I also have a Motif Rack. You may want to consider adding a rack module of some different manufacturer. That way you can dig a little deepr into the very fine MIDI capabilites of the RD-700SX.

mark

I have a stock Triton Rack and a Yammy CS6R with Piano and VL expansions: these 2 with 2 master keyboards was my second last set-up.

I'm trying to sell the racks...

What I need I keyboard "space", not additional sounds: I should try to control the RD700SX both locally and from a 61 keys master.

Archived