Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Perfect Piano

zephonic

I see a lot of people still searching for that elusive perfect digital piano. I found the solution a couple of years ago...

I stopped worrying about the perfect piano and just treat my keyboards like a different instrument. Even when I use the piano or EP sound, I change the way I play and since I've gotten used to it, I find that the sounds are usually good enough to make it convincing in a band or mix.

Just accept the fact that a digital keyboard is just that, a new instrument in its own right and as such requiring a different approach.

Imagine harpsichord-players switching to the pianoforte...or organists...

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by zephonic:

Just accept the fact that a digital keyboard is just that, a new instrument in its own right

..make that "a lively instrument in it's own right", and I agree with your statement 100%.

:thu::)

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

When I start dreaming of the perfect piano sound on stage I think back to the days when I was covering piano parts on an analog synth with NO velocity sensitivity. Hey, I thought I was in heaven when I got a poly-analog with velocity response and programmed a decent fake piano. Any modern ROMpler gives me a better piano sound than what I could dream of in the early 80's.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by Rabid:

When I start dreaming of the perfect piano sound on stage I think back to the days when I was covering piano parts on an analog synth with NO velocity sensitivity. Hey, I thought I was in heaven when I got a poly-analog with velocity response and programmed a decent fake piano. Any modern ROMpler gives me a better piano sound than what I could dream of in the early 80's.

Robert

Amen to that. I remember playing the piano part to Desperado on a Korg Poly-800. :-(

acctjm

When I saw Perfect Piano as the subject, I opened this thread with a bit of caution.

Well, we've certainly come a long way from the RMI electric piano. :cool: As far as stage pianos go, we have at least three candidates to keep everyone happy - Yamaha P250, Roland RD700SX and the GM Promega 3. All of them have a first rate piano sound.

Considering what I grew up with, we're in heaven.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

When I saw Perfect Piano as the subject, I opened this thread with a bit of caution.

I had the same apprehension when I saw the title. Thought some poor soul was going to venture into the realm of "He Who Shall Not Be Named".

I remember when I got a Sound City keyboard (anyone remember them?). It had the tinniest piano sound you can imagine, no touch to speak of, and a pathetic clav sounding patch. But I thought I was in heaven with a small electronic piano (10 lbs.) which I could sit on top of my Hammond and give me that wide expanded palette of two additional sounds.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

I started playing piano parts on an Arp Omni II, then picked up what I think was a Casio MT-31. It was two oct mini-key and a slider switch with piano, electric piano, organ, and a few other names for the blips it made. The cool thing was that The Cars was using a cheap Casio for some parts and it had the exact same sounds. Not much of a piano, but most of the audience was too drunk to notice. :D

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Steve writes:

"I remember when I got a Sound City keyboard (anyone remember them?). It had the tinniest piano sound you can imagine, no touch to speak of, and a pathetic clav sounding patch. But I thought I was in heaven with a small electronic piano (10 lbs.) which I could sit on top of my Hammond and give me that wide expanded palette of two additional sounds."

Oh my... I had one of those in my high school band. What a piece of crap, although at the time it was pretty cool for not a lot of money. Mine sat balanced on top of a Rhodes suitcase. Not exactly the best situation with the rounded top on the Rhodes. At some point the other guys talked me into (against my better judgement) to screw a couple of guitar strap pegs into the wood ends so that I put a strap on it and play walking around (involuntary cringe). Thankfully, no pictures exist that I know of of me playing like that.

You could get a sort of wah wah effect playing the piano tone underneath and using the slider to vary the clavi sound. I was too cheap to buy a pedal.

Check out this site with a discussion and pictures of this and other vintage boards:

http://www.combo-organ.com/Vox/Other/

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Yamaha CP-30 was my first keyboard. Worked 2 summer jobs as an electronics technician during college summer break to pay for it. Back then I was ecstatic playing the amplified piano and harpsicord type sounds. If you turned up the volume to much it sounded like all the notes were bleeding through at once. I eventually replaced it with my CP80. Yup - we've come a long way.

Well, we've certainly come a long way from the RMI electric piano. :cool:

Now just how did I KNOW you were going to mention my beloved RMI? :rolleyes:

Considering what I grew up with, we're in heaven.

Yup... Considering that electricity had yet to be invented. :D

Jus' messin' wit' ya, Dave. :wave: How 'bout a cold one? :P

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I had one of those Sound Shitty, er, ah, Sound City pianos too. I got it while in high school and put it on top of the L100 my parents had. I played it thru a (believe it or not) Sound City guitar head. The amp weighed 4x what the piano did, lol. It did have a nice cheesy harpsichord sound and you could blend it and the piano together.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Considering the instruments mentioned above, I reckon most of y'all have been playing since Woodstock. I started on a Roland D20 in the early 90's and that was awful.

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

Originally posted by Jayhawk:

Steve writes:

"I remember when I got a Sound City keyboard (anyone remember them?). It had the tinniest piano sound you can imagine, no touch to speak of, and a pathetic clav sounding patch. But I thought I was in heaven with a small electronic piano (10 lbs.) which I could sit on top of my Hammond and give me that wide expanded palette of two additional sounds."

Oh my... I had one of those in my high school band. What a piece of crap, although at the time it was pretty cool for not a lot of money. Mine sat balanced on top of a Rhodes suitcase. Not exactly the best situation with the rounded top on the Rhodes. At some point the other guys talked me into (against my better judgement) to screw a couple of guitar strap pegs into the wood ends so that I put a strap on it and play walking around (involuntary cringe). Thankfully, no pictures exist that I know of of me playing like that.

You could get a sort of wah wah effect playing the piano tone underneath and using the slider to vary the clavi sound. I was too cheap to buy a pedal.

I thought I was the only one in the world to have one of those things. Had it on top of my B-3. I have a tape from those days & it really threw me at first trying to figure out what the sound was. I didn't have an amp for it & I used to play it through my Leslie. Normally when the song came up in the song list I'd hit the brake for the Leslie & the rotors would stop. But on this particular tape, I must have forgotten to brake the Leslie. It sounded pretty interesting.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Everyone has forgotten the ARP 16 Voice piano. It was DANG good for an analog synth. But failed miserably as piece of engineering.

I do say, however, that most modern sampled pianos are BORING. They have little of the character that makes a great piano track. They have PLAIN and EVEN and SIMILAR sounds. Real pianos don't - but the major companies never sample really cool old pianos with character, like Tom Waits, the Beatles, or Neil Young might use...

Relax and float downstream...

I remember trying to coax piano sounds out of a Juno 60 back in 1985.. how naive I must have been. I even remember playing Moonlight Sonata on a DX7 piano patch thinking this was exactly like a real piano... ;-)

I've had two rhodes (Stage 54 and Stage 73) since then a Roland RD300s, Yamaha P80 and P120. Now I'm happy with the Promega 3. All of these were great pianos in their own way...

I still get a chance to play a Steinway now and again but I have to admit that playing a Promega is in some ways a lot better as the pianos I play are usually not in tune or have other problems.

Archived