Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Music Player Live dinner

Dave Bryce

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Red Winger:

So...when is this shindig making it's way to the left coast? ;)

--Mark

Indeed! I wish that I could have been there, but it would have been a *very* long commute...

- Dan

Dan Phillips

Manager of Product Development, Korg R&D

Originally posted by Red Winger:

So...when is this shindig making it's way to the left coast? ;)

Well Mark, if the past is any indication of the future, then the next Music Player event will happen in four years. At that point, it should be LA's turn again (October 2009).

(See my first post in this thread for details about the last event, held four years ago here in LA.)

In the meantime, we can always continue to enjoy our annual Winter NAMM forum dinners

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Thanks, Geoff. I'll mark my calendar. ;)

Seriously, though, I do hope that if MPL was a success (which I guess we'll have to wait to hear how it went), that they consider brining it West next time (and perhaps sooner than 4 years). In any event, AES is back again next fall and probably something I'll be able to catch.

--Mark

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

Originally posted by David Holloway:

Hmm I think there must have been maximum debauchery as no photos are being posted. I'm even more sad I couldn't attend now :mad:;)

I hope I'm not talking out of school to reveal that the event is already planned for next year, in NYC again, this time at the Hilton (Times Sq.? Dunno.) That can and may, of course, change. I would think L.A. would promise lots of attendees. I'll bet NY was chosen because public transport, opportunity for potent publicity, compact geography, and the "prestige" of Times Square all worked together to maximize potential attendance. Density of musicians and music students, too. L.A. might rock, but you'll have people electing not to come just because it's a pain to get across to anaheim/hollywood/downtown.

Early feedback was that almost all attendees and most exhibitors were glad they had participated. It seems like those who remembered that they weren't doing a regular tradeshow but were showing the public their stuff got the best results and had the most traffic. A subway snafu cost us attendees on Friday, (A, C, and E were closed, as were other lines, I heard) but Saturday was hoppin', Sunday a little quieter. BT had to cancel his seminar at the last minute, sadly, but Bernie Worrell stepped in and schooled a few lucky folks (including synth builder Dave Smith and The Very Reverend Dominic Milano). Francis Preve gave a cool Garageband seminar and Peter Kirn gave one on the integration of video-manipulation goodies with music. Session Sensei's Scott Healy led the band as MD at the Les Paul Tribute concert and did us proud by backing a ludicrously diverse lineup that included David Ellefson of Megadeth(?), Bakithi Kumalo (Paul Simon's Graceland, session bass great, solo artist), Adrian Belew, Robben Ford, Jon Mayer, Doug Wimbish, and Lisa Loeb. Les himself played - watching him and Larry Carlton play Sleepwalk was a sweet moment. Lisa came out on the keys during the all-hands closing jam. Who knew?

Sorry I missed you at the dinner, Tusker. I was in delightful conversation with Dave Bryce and Jerry Kovarsky and suddenly felt really ill. Long day, lack of sleep, some booze, and a little jetlag too I guess. Not a happy combo. Stumbled across the hall to my own room and was out in minutes. So I missed most of the hang.

Technical Editor

Keyboard Magazine

More people pay for Keyboard than any other music-tech magazine. Period.

BTW, Ken, I think I said "hi" to you at the cocktail party (which was outstanding) but didn't chat with you during dinner. Maybe next time.

There are 2 Hiltons in Midtown, one on 42st right in Times Square and the other on 6th Ave (Ave of the Americas) and 53rd. The one on 6th is huge and a popular choice for conventions. The only problem is that it's expensive: currently $650/night on Expedia! All the NYC hotel rates have more that doubled in the past year.

Dunno for sure, but I'd bet a few bucks we're booked into the one closest to Times Square. And that the convention rate has already been negotiated. This company counts every nickel.

Technical Editor

Keyboard Magazine

More people pay for Keyboard than any other music-tech magazine. Period.

Archived