Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

In honor of Dr. Robert Moog (1934-2005)

BrianK

Just received the awful news: Bob has passed away this afternoon. Permit me to unload some info and a few of my feelings...

Obviously, he was a giant of the music industry, in the exceptional and rare company of Lawrens Hammond and Leo Fender. He lived a great life - many stages and levels, the ups and downs we all go through. Rather than rest on laurels, he worked continuously; with some of his greatest-ever creations in these last few years.

In the 1950's, he began building theremins, and later made small amplifiers to match the craze for the new Beatles-type music. Shortly thereafter, he created a modular sound system with Herb Deutsch. This became the basis for the R.A.Moog modular synthesizer, the first commercially available synthesizer, which SLOWLY garnered attention and commercial growth. Records like "Switched On Bach", The Beatles "Abbey Road", and the first Emerson Lake and Palmer album created public awareness of this rare oddball "music synthesizer". Soon, a whole industry was created, with RAMoog being bought out by other interests throughout the 70's.

Eventually, Bob himself left the company that bore his name (as Leo Fender did) and worked for Kurzweill throughout the 1980's.

Relocated to North Carolina, Bob started Big Briar Music and began making musical instruments again - theremins - just as he had in the 1950's; it was a small venture (he did not "get rich" off his previous work) but something he loved and knew well.

Soon after, the company saw the need for traditional effects and he designed the MoogerFooger line - REALLY well thought pedals that combined modular synthesis and stompboxes. After years of legal battling, Big Briar won the right to use the MOOG name again, just in time for his first synthesizer in decades: The Minimoog Voyager.

Recently, Bob was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor, and today his wonderful life ended as a result. In the recent weeks, hundreds of well-wishers have extended their support to his family; the "extended-family" are musicians his life has touched, which is an ENORMOUS family if you think about it.

Aside from his family, he said the greatest thing to happen to him was to meet those musicians who did such amazing things with his designs.

He was really a great guy, funny as hell, simple as he could make himself - no pretensions at all. He was honest, direct, friendly, and REALLY friggin' talented. If you'd like to know something of what he was actually like - view the new DVD documentary "MOOG". It shows what a stable, caring guy he was, personal and spiritual in such a musical way. Please check it out.

(I'd say it was an honor to know him, but he would laugh and say "That's ridiculous!") Bye Bob....

Relax and float downstream...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ever since I first heard Switched-On Bach as a young teenager, I've been in love with the sound of Moogs and analog synthesizers of all kinds. It was during these years that I learned all about Bob Moog and everything he contributed to the music of our time. The man is no longer with us, but his legacy will always live on. Rest in peace, Bob.
Darren Landrum

There's not much more that can be said regarding the infamous Dr. Moog. May he rest in peace......and maybe somewhere in that laboratory in the sky, he'll create something even better than before, and somehow pass it on to someone worthy.

He will be missed by anyone who has had contact with him, as well as anyone that was connected, even in a remote way, in the music, and electronic music field.

May he rest in peace. :cry:

Erlic

This was on MOOGMUSIC.COM

http://moogmusic.com/bob_moog_photos/Bob%20in%20Lab.jpg

Bob's Body Leaves Us

Photo of Bob at work in Asheville

ASHEVILLE, N.C. August 21, 2005 Bob died this afternoon at his home in Asheville, N.C. He was 71. Bob was diagnosed with brain cancer (glioblastoma multiforme or GBM) in late April 2005. He had received both radiation treatment and chemotherapy to help combat the disease. He is survived by his wife, Ileana, his five children, Laura Moog Lanier, Matthew Moog, Michelle Moog-Koussa, Renee Moog, and Miranda Richmond; and the mother of his children, Shirleigh Moog.

Bob was warm and outgoing. He enjoyed meeting people from all over the world. He especially appreciated what Ileana referred to as "the magical connection" between music-makers and their instruments.

No public memorial is planned. Fans and friends can direct their sympathies or remembrances to www.caringbridge.com/visit/bobmoog.

Bob's family has established The Bob Moog Foundation dedicated to the Advancement of Electronic Music in his memory. Many of his longtime collaborators including musicians, engineers and educators have agreed to sit on its executive board including David Borden, Wendy Carlos, Joel Chadabpe, John Eaton, David Mash, and Rick Wakeman. For more information about the foundation, contact Matthew Moog at mattmoog@yahoo.com.

We'll miss you Bob.

MY Toys - Kurzweil PC1X, Roland A-90, Yamaha KX88, Yamaha CS1x, Novation 49SL MkII, Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2, JBL PRX615M

My Music Page

Though not unexpected, due to the presence his family maintained on Caringbridge, this is stll such sad news. I last saw Dr. Moog at Winter NAMM 2005, where he both lent the magazine a Voyager for our big bash and came over to the table at the forum dinner.

Rest in peace, sir. Your love of your craft made the world a better place.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

I was lucky enough to have dinner with Bob just a few months ago when he was in LA for the synth symposium at audioMIDI.com. Little did I know that it was to be his last public appearance.

As someone whose first couple of synths were Moogs, and who decided I wanted to be a synthesist when I first heard (and saw the album cover of) Switched On Bach, Bob's life and his work had a huge impact on me. As I look over my shoulder at the autographed MiniMoog that he signed when I worked with him at Kurzweil, I am grateful to have had the opportunity to have known him and to have felt his influence on my life.

He has left us, but his spirit lives on in all of us...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I've always loved his instruments and admired his passion for his craft. He was nothing short of a living legend as well as what's become a significant rarity these days; a man of status that's well deserved and well met.

RIP Bob Moog.

A great loss. He is one of a very few whose name will be remembered hundreds of years in the future.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I remember for years people would use the word Moog as a generic term for a keyboard. I recall people asking us, "So, who plays the Moog in your band?". No better compliment can be payed than to be a household word.

I do think Keyboard magazine will honor Bob Moog with a special issue. He deservs nothing less.

Thanks for everything, Bob!

I was at the seminar when he recieved the Polar Music Prize, along with Burt Bacharach and Karlheinz Stockhausen. He came across as a very humble, nice, funny and extremely bright and talented man.

He will be missed, but his legacy will always live on.

Rest in peace, dr. Moog!

He was one of the few pioneers that was still active in developing new technologies. Remember the great excitement when the Voyager was announced?

I'll always thank him for inspiring a whole generation of musicians and the great music they created.

We at Keyboard extend our deepest sympathies and our heartfelt condolences to Bob's family, colleagues, and friends. One of the best parts of this job was getting to hang out with Bob from time to time, and especially doing that cover story on him in 2003. Can't believe I'll never hear any more of his ribald tales or have the thrill of seeing one of his new designs. We've all been fortunate to be a part of the Moog era of music history.

Ernie Rideout, Private Citizen

Gee, that was quick.

I created a Voyager patch last night in honor of this great man: Moogin' On, 8/21/2005. I too got to meet and make very small talk with Dr. Moog at the last couple of winter NAMM shows. I'll always be proud to brag about that. And thankful.

Bob, you had all of the respect I could give. Not for your amazing creativity and its resulting innovations, though that's certainly worthy.

No, it's for your ability to remain a human being despite everyone's insistence that you were a god, or at least a minor deity.

Any human can only hope to leave a legacy that's barely comparable to yours. Rest well, sir.

- Jeff

I move he be nominated to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for one of the following categories:

Non-performer

Songwriters, producers, disc jockeys, record executives, journalists and other industry professionals who have had a major influence on the development of rock and roll.

Early Influences

Artists whose music predated rock and roll but had an impact on the evolution of rock and roll and inspired rocks leading artists.

Well the man was modest, but his work denounces his modesty. It reaches far and beyond.

Wherever you are, Bob, youre still grabbing people by their ears...

I only hope that those who had the grace of meeting him personally did not miss the opportunity to tell him what all of us should: Thank you.

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

During an age of super-hype and grandstanding, it sounds like Bob carried the torch of true genius: talent coupled with humility and humor, and a natural and unmistakable generosity of spirit.

It also sounds like Bob had the very rare opportunity to live a life with the efforts of his genius recognized in his lifetime, without the loneliness and isolation that often comes with pursuit of a life's mission.

It may not matter to us, but Bob's biggest reward is/was his family, and he was one of the luckiest people in the world not to have to fight an either/or battle between his family, and his genius.

I only wish peace had been achieved for Israel in his lifetime; may it happen in his honor, soon, instead.

rt

An amazing person who affected amazing change to his world. A creative genius who not only imagined entirely new musical instruments and new kinds of sound and music, but was able to produce instruments that sparked the imagination of musicians and music listeners everywhere.

A non-businessman who struggled with his early business, yet came full circle, realizing not only success in business, but also critical recognition for achievements in the industry.

I consider myself lucky to have heard him tell his story and talk about the instruments he created, to have shaken his hand and witnessed the passion with which he discussed the design of his instruments and the thousands of minute details that collectively make them sound so wonderful and alive, that sharp and crafty sparkle in his eye, and his humble and witty demeanor.

Bob, you will be missed, but the world sings with many new voices because of you. Thank you.

I remember hearing a Moog for the first time when I heard Switched on Bach, i was 13 when it came out His instruments inspired me to learn to play keyboards. The Minimoog was my firsr synthesizer and his instruments hold a special place in my being. It would be hard to overestimate the full impact of his contribution to music.

I wish he could have stayed a while longer.

Archived