Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I got a micron

Wooden

Quote by Wooden:

----------------------------------------------

Do you think alesis is going to put all the extra features on the micron into the ion?

----------------------------------------------

I doubt it. Alesis is putting their time into their new Fusion. They only have so many resources and the ION works well the way it is. Alesis responded to customer complaints that the ION had no reverb from some players that have no external FX and implemented it into the newer Micron when they made it. Some of us that own an ION couldn't care less about a reverb chip or a step sequencer either. Now if the ION had 24 voices or more, that would get my attention.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Rabid:

I'm still waiting for a rack version.

I wouldn't mind a desktop, complete with those high resolution knobs and some faders for ADSRs.

24 voices you say MikeT156? I'd be happy with around 16 but even at eight I'm tempted for the price.

Kayvon, more voices on the ION would be nice. Its fine with 8 voices, but I'd spend less time doing setups where I split the KB a number of times and start getting voice stealing. So I have to limit the range of different splits to avoid that problem. As it is though, the ION is a nice synth for the bucks. I'm pretty happy with overall. I'm still getting a DSI Evolver KB anyway. That's a "must have" KB.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by Dave Pierce:

You'll love it.

I don't have mine in front of me, so these names may not be exact, but favorite patches:

UCrazyDiamond -- guess what it emulates? :D

WakemanMini

Hmmm, I've got 5 "favs" stored, but those are the only names I remember. I'll come back here after my next gig...

--Dave

"Infamous Lead" and "Orestrea" are the other lead patches I like.

I also use a pad called "Exhalation".

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Originally posted by Andre Lower:

...There seem to be no way to select Programs/Setups remotely...

I know the Ion does. It responds to Program Changes inside a 4 zone Setup, too.

I'd bet it's simply missing from the OS or it wasn't verified and needs a fix.

Originally posted by Prague:

I know the Ion does. It responds to Program Changes inside a 4 zone Setup, too.

I'd bet it's simply missing from the OS or it wasn't verified and needs a fix.

Now supposing Prague's guess is right, does anyone out there believe there is a real chance anyone outside Alesis itself could possibly solve this problem? Because if we are to depend on Alesis, I believe this topic will die as it is... A shame considering the potential of the Micron as a cheap, add-on synth for live use :cry: .
"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

I just bought an Ion a week ago. It was on clearance at GC, and the only one left was the floor model, so I took it. Pretty much everything seems to work, but I'm curious about some of the patches. It seems that all of the Moog type lead sounds keep going in and out of tune. I tweaked the tuning of the oscillators to 0, but they still do it. They go in and out of tune in regular intervals slowly over 6 seconds or so. Is this the "analog drift" feature, or something else? It's rather unpleasant to my ears on the presets. It only seems to come from the Mini type patches (Black & Knobby, for example). Any ideas?
A picture may paint a thousand words, but a melody can paint a thousand pictures.

It could be the drift feature. I recall it has a percentage adjustment, too. It can always be turned off.

I haven't run into that problem, but you never know with a floor model. Anonymous fingers can do many things.

Alesis has all of the factory presets to install at their website

I might need to do that. I also can't even seem to access the settings for analog drift. The manual says it's located on soft button 3 of page 5 of the global parameters menu, but seems to be nowhere to be found. I haven't saved any patches yet, so I might just need to update to 1.06 and reinstall the factory presets. It seems that it only affects some of the Moog patches actually. For example, Black & Knobby has the problem, but StixMiniMogue doesn't.
A picture may paint a thousand words, but a melody can paint a thousand pictures.

It could be something else, too. An LFO assigned to pitch, perhaps. The drift seems more random than an LFO (a wave LFO, rather than a noise LFO, that is ;) ).

Ditto. Check the modulation matrix for each program that seem to feature this "drift". There are several Modulation tricks that could yield the effect you are describing, and chances are whoever introduced it (whith the best of intentions I suppose...) added it through the Modulation Matrix.
"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

Well, a number of levels in the modulation matrix were at a variety of different %'s, and putting them at 0 got rid of the detuning problem. However, somehow that changes the entire character of the sound as well. I'm still a synthesis newb, and don't really know what I'm doing yet, so it seems that I just need to restore the factor presets (who knows what other strange changes have been saved that I haven't noticed yet).

Litho:

Sometimes the location of a particular parameter is not where it says in the manual. When Alesis makes upgrades to the OS, sometimes the page numbers are different in the manual from what you have on your KB. I have an ION and I found that out. My manual was printed when v1.0 of the OS was current. The ION I got was OS v1.05 and some of the parameters ended up on a different page. I'm assuming the Micron is the same as the ION as far as page locations with different OS versions. Be sure to check every page in the group the parameter you're trying to change to see where it is.

Mike T.

Originally posted by ewall08530:

Along with synth bass sounds is anyone getting good electric bass sounds from the Micron.

I've been looking for a small keyboard to do left hand bass with and wondered if the Micron would fit the bill. EW

The Micron was discussed as a bass synth candidate here .

Cheers,

SG

I was able to verify this on the Ion. There is a selection as to how the Program Changes are received. Its that 0/32, 0 only, 32 only option. I'll assume you've checked that, but look again to be sure.

Of course, each zone can be assigned to any channel, also.

I was able to verify this on the Ion. There is a selection as to how the Program Changes are received. Its that 0/32, 0 only, 32 only option. I'll assume you've checked that, but look again to be sure.

Of course, each zone can be assigned to any channel, also.

No Prague, there is no such selection in the Micron. Only (inside the CONFIG page) PGMCHG OFF (no send/receive) or ON (send/receive). Mine of course is set to ON.

I am rather frustrated by my limitations on interpreting the meaning of MIDIOX screens. I wish I could relate what I know of MIDI to what appears on the screen when I monitor the messages output by both my Micron and my XP-30. I have the feeling it will necessarily take a lot of time, which right now I need to improve my chops.

So here's where I stand today: Until proof of the contrary, my XP-30 is perfectly capable of sending MIDI PGMCHG messages, and my Micron is capable of receiving them, but I have to live with the fact that I am not capable of making it work. If I can find some time in the future to read what it takes to decipher the MIDIOX screens I might have a chance. Otherwise I'll have to wait until a real MIDI expert happen to buy a Micron (an Ion won't do, BTW) and stumble on this specific problem.

Hi people. I received my micron!!!!

It sounds fantastic, and has a punch and fatness that i had never heard in the software VA that i have played. The basses are incredible, and the kicks and hi hats unbelieveable. Programming in hte little LCD is not the best thing to have but... and navigation knob reaaaaally sucks. Its incredible that the know that is the most used is the only one that feels fragile.

For Andre. HAve you updated the firmware? in the new alesis site there is a firmware update, and that issue is in the list of the changes made.

Yea, Version 1.02 does have this as listed: MIDI: Pgm Change Config Parameter A new config parameter allows the send and receive of MIDI program change messages to be disabled.

Yep, mine's OS version is 1.02 (Sept/04) all right. Am I missing something here? Where exactly is this "MIDI: Pgm Change" Config Parameter supposed to be in the Micron? My CONFIG page hasn't got it.

Perhaps I should try to load up the same OS 1.02 once again? :eek:

To make it short: Did any Micron owner over here ever managed to make the Micron respond to ANY program change message?

Oh boy, if I had the money to buy a Poly Evolver I'd gladly get rid of my Micron and this problem on a wink! :idea:

I did try to do this at a GC today. I used a Yamaha something to switch a Roland something, and an old EMU module. No problem.

When I correctly configured the Micron (v1.02), it would not accept any Program Changes or Bank Changes.

I did get a kick out of watching the GC guys not help me. :D The girl in the Keys Dept. was helpful, but didn't know what I was doing. She really, really had a nice, nice pair of jeans. :eek:

:D

I Have some really BAD/GOOD news to you guys... I am changing programs remotely in my micron. I conected my evolution mk461 to it, and voila! then I launched cubase sx2 asigned a midi channel to be "brige" between the controller and the micron, and once again it worked... what could it be.

Archived