Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gigging Amp

part1sts

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.cd-konzert.com/jupiter.gifhttp://www.cd-konzert.com/jupiter.gif

And two of these. Buy two of these.

Add two of these http://www.zvexamps.com/images/Front_sm.jpghttp://www.zvexamps.com/images/Front_sm.jpgNANO HEAD one-half watt (distorted) powerhouse and you have the perfect gigging amp... stereo too! :thu:

Yes, Steve, I GUARANTEE that all this will fit inside your Trailblazer... or you can give 'em to me! :P

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

part1sts, this of course is all saying we don't know. We have discussed this topic a thousand times and no conlusion came out.

First of all, you'll need to put some constraints on your question. Are you playing at big or small halls? What instruments are playing along? How loud do you play? What instruments/sounds do you want to amplify? Maximum weight/size? Maximum costs? All in one box?

The typical categories are:

- the better multimedia desktop systems (f.e. Klipsch 2.1)

- keyboard amps (f.e. Roland KC-series, Barbetta)

- Active plastic PA-speakers (f.e. Mackie SRM450, JBL Eon)

- Good old smaller PA-systems

- Acoustic guitar amps (f.e. AER)

- Expensive systems (f.w. EAW speakers, Meyersound)

- Studio monitors (i.e. Mackie HR624, Adams, Genelec)

- Electric guitar amps (not for piano) (f.e. Fender Twin)

- Leslie's (or clones) (for organ)

Yep, that's a lot.

Originally posted by The Pro:

Buy a Motion Sound KP-200s stereo keyboard amp and never look back.

I think what you meant to say was " and you'll never look back". To simply advise "never look back" implies some serious second thoughts if you do! :P;)
"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

I was looking for small to medium sized clubs, not halls. Playing along with drummer with triggers and a guitarist. I know they usually have the PA to plug into, but I wanted to know what amplifier would be as good if not better than some small club's PA system. And im looking to spend about 500.
Together we stand, Divided we fall.

Originally posted by gangsu:

Originally posted by The Pro:

Buy a Motion Sound KP-200s stereo keyboard amp and never look back.

Yes I love my KP-200s as well but I paid a little over $700 for it. But I'm pretty sure they do have a smaller model (KP-100 maybe) which might be around $500 or less.

I've heard great things about the Motion sound amps. I wish they were made in the wedge form (speaker facing upwards) I'm using a 50 yorkville wedge now and it does the trick but the sound isn't the best. I like it because it is facing upwards...You can always tilt other speaker up too ofcourse.

I'm looking into a new amp and i'm leaning towards Motion Sound models. Nice beefy full stereo sound. Or I might look at some p.A speakers. I have to experiment sound and easy loading and set-up. If I turn into a drummer...The guy who is always loading in gear and tear down takes forever...I can't swing that. I like a 10min setup...in and out no one gets hurt.

Step out of the box and grow!

I use a small powered mixer and two 12" floor monitors, works great! I usually put one or both of the floor monitors on end on barstools. The wedge shape allows a lot of flexibility. Also, floor monitors tend to have a wider sound spread than PA speakers, so the rest of the band can hear you better and it interferes with the house mix less (because the sound drops off faster as you back away from the speakers).

Actually, the particular powered mixer (1980 EV/Tapco Entertainer) is a piece of crap that I'll be replacing soon, but this gear has worked well for me for 25 years. It just doesn't have enough headroom for my piano sound when the stage levels get much over 100dBSPL (loud but not ridiculous).

You're right not to count on the house PA for your monitor. That's a recipe for disaster.

I demand a stereo monitor, but mostly because I'm a hobbyist doing this for fun so I want it to sound good for ME and the rest of the band, not just the audience. Lots of other players here want stereo monitor too. After all, we spend lots of bux on good gear, it's nice to be able to hear how it really sounds! But practically speaking, stereo monitor isn't necessary, and many seasoned pros do without it just to reduce the hassle.

Yes I love my KP-200s as well but I paid a little over $700 for it. But I'm pretty sure they do have a smaller model (KP-100 maybe) which might be around $500 or less.
I owned a KP100 two years ago. I wouldn't recomend it, not enough power for anything louder than background music, and would break up badly when pushed. I was going to trade it in for the KP200 but ended up getting two jbl eon10's.

John

another vote for the KP-200s. Good, clean power... moderately easy to transport (especially if you install casters) and the stereo effect is just plain spooky.

Kurzweil PC4; Yamaha P515; EV ZXA1s

And another vote for the EONs. Had a pair of the 15's, but got tired of the weight. Got a pair of 10s and love 'em. Put 'em on stands, put 'em on the floor like wedges, add a sub for the really big rooms. Throw one in the back seat for rehearsals or jams.......

Hammond SK1, Casio Privia PX5-S, SpaceStation V.3, Behringer B1200D, 2-EV ZxA1s

MacBook Air, Novation ReMOTE 37SL, Logic, Pianoteq 5 Stage, Scarbee Vintage Keys

The MIDI Gizmo Museum!

Has anyone had a chance to hear the new Carvin powered PA speakers. They look like EONS at 1/2 the price. I have a Cavin 8 channel PA that is 12 yrs old and sounds great. Far better than the Peavey 6 channel PA.

www.carvin.com/products/group.php?CID=APS

These are 300w on 15" and 50w for horn and I have found that Carvin is more powerful than they say. I have never had my PA over 5 or 1/2 way up and mostly keep it at 1/4.

Jim

www.slowhand.us

www.trickbag.net

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

I'll elaborate a little more on my post...

I own the KP-100s, the KP-200s and JBL powered EON 10's with matching subs. I agree with an earlier statement that the KP-100s lacks power, and due to the smaller woofer it also lacks bass. It's great for small, intimate rooms though and I wind up using it a lot. The KP-200s has plenty of power and bass (for the guy that wanted a wedge - get an amp stand, which is recommended by Motion Sound). The great thing about the KP-200s is that it's a quick setup over a PA, which takes a lot of cords (both audio and power) and a place to be setup etc. The KP-200s has room-filling volume and great overall sound. If I could only have one keyboard amp it'd be the KP-200s. Both of the KP's have stereo XLR direct outputs on the back so getting sound to the FOH mix is a breeze. You can also use the KP-200s as a vocal monitor by using the "click input" channel, which doesn't get passed back to the FOH mix.

If you're a soloact like me then it's easy to add EON's as powered expansion speakers to the KP's for large or outdoor gigs. I like to put the EON's in front of me on stands and the KP behind me for "surround sound".

Yeah sure I can throw a mixer in the car and use my EON's as a PA without the KP's, but I never do - that's how much I like my KP's. Instead, the mixer stays home and it's just a matter of which KP I use.

Archived