Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why Alesis should give me a Fusion synth

TrancedelicBlues

This synth and I were made for each other. I have long envisioned something very much like it.

Sample-playback-wise, I thought "streaming from disc" would be an important feature, but you guys talked me out of it.

I thought an onboard hard drive would be too expensive, and I wondered if you could do streaming samples from a DVD, but you guys set me straight on both counts.

Some of you scoffed at my insistence on Flash ROM sample memory that could be changed on a whim from external sources, but apparently alesis thought the idea was a good one...

So I came up with the idea of a synth that had lots of sample-based sounds that could easily be swapped around.

I also wanted a keyboard that would run lots of "soft synths" whether they were "proprietary" or not, whichever way was most "cost-effective"

I expressed all my ideas in this thread

i am not trying to say they stole my ideas, but it makes me feel good that they came to the same conclusions i did...

EDIT: The last synths I bought were a Peavey, a Kawai, and an Ensoniq.

Peavey is out of the synth business, as is Kawai, and Ensoniq is just a forgotten page in history.

Does Alesis really wish to follow in their footsteops? Would it not be safer to simply give me a Fusion???

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey trance: your post is from last sept. (2004).

alesis should give ME a fusion, cause i posted the idea at ex5tech several years ago.

hey ben, i'm only kidding about the free synth, i'm just glad someone finally made something similar. i'm sure hundreds, if not thousands of people had the same idea.

The Fusion looks promising. I wish it had a more knobby interface. I'm a more hands on kinda guy. What's the deal with the VA engine in it? From what I understand, it is not the same as the Ion/Micron circuitry. They had a good thing going with that formula.

V.

Waldorf MicroQ Keyboard

Roland JX-8P

M-Audio Firewire 410

BBE MaxCom

Propellerheads Reason

Originally posted by TrancedelicBlues:

Ensoniq is just a forgotten page in history.

Does Alesis really wish to follow in their footsteops?

I beg to differ. Ensoniq, in particular the ASR-10, has reached a legendary status. Thanks to legions of Hip Hop producers like Kanye West, Timbaland, the Neptunes and countless others who swear by that machine, they are far from forgotten.

Although it's too early to really say, if they nail the ROM section even 70% right, they just might be following in those footsteps.

Peace

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

Peavey is out of the synth business, as is Kawai, and Ensoniq is just a forgotten page in history.

Does Alesis really wish to follow in their footsteops? Would it not be safer to simply give me a Fusion???

+1.

My first pro board was an Ensoniq KS-32.

And then look at my present gear list:

Mr-Rack made by Ensoniq - who are no more.

P2K made by EMU - who no longer make hardware synths.

Vintage Keys keyboard - ditto.

PC2 rack made by Kurzweil - who are in legal limbo.

MP9500 made by Kawai, who stopped supplying them to the US and then deleted them altogether with no replacement model in sight.

So yes, if Alesis do not send me a Fusion gratis, I will BUY one, and there will be hell to pay.

:D

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Maybe you should, like, play one first. On paper, the Fusion and Oasis look similar. In fact, the Fusion looks a little better on paper in some respects. But hearing the two was a completely different experience.

Or, you can do as I have and leave the ROMplers for streaming samplers and actual, breathing analog. Once again, it's one thing to read that virtual analog and looped samples are just as good...

I'm trying to save them from my potent "Peavey/Kawai/Ensoniq" hex...

:(

Hex, schmex! It just doesn't work that way.

My Roland A-70 proves it, er ...

My Ensoniq VFX-SD proves it, er ...

My EMU Vintage Keys Pro proves it, er ...

My Kurzweil PC-2x proves it, er ...

My Roland MKS-100 proves it, er ...

My Fender Stringmaster Lap Steel proves it, er ...

My MXR Envelope filter proves it, er ...

:confused:

Hmmmm ...... I'll get back to ya

Maybe we should get together and have a group "no-buy" and see what Alesis thinks... Could make for some interesting publicity for them, right? Donate a number of synths to the hardcore fan following to ensure the future viability of the company? Excellent juju to keep the evil spirits of the synth world at bay :)

NAH...Honestly, both of my Alesis boards have been back in their shop since they were sold (my QuadraSynth for them to upgrade it to "Plus Piano" status and my Ion for the knob problems by its previous owner). I have to say that Alesis seems to take interest in resolving problems and are pretty customer-service oriented, so let's really hope that this board makes them an even *stronger* presence in the market instead of being the one that breaks their back.

If they get it right the first time (build quality, OS and sound) they can *not* go wrong...

Thanks!

bax

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is definitely NOT for you...

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

Perhaps since they also listened to you in making it so inexpensive, you should, like, buy one. ;)

- Jeff

:eek:

You haven't bought any Aardvark gear recently, have you?

Cos THEN I'd be convinced...

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

• 10 months later...
I believe that Ensoniq has made a name for themselves in high quality hearing aids, so many of us may be buying their products once again! :cry:

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Originally posted by DafDuc:

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

Perhaps since they also listened to you in making it so inexpensive, you should, like, buy one. ;)

- Jeff

:eek:

You haven't bought any Aardvark gear recently, have you?

Cos THEN I'd be convinced...

No, but I did just grab a near-mint MicroQ on ebay. We all know what happened to Waldorf ...

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Archived