Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Garth Hudson, The Band, Lowery, and other trivia

Bartolomeo

I have been a big fan of The Band since before I had any serious interest in keyboards.

In a recent thread on Lowery organs it came up that Garth Hudson played a Lowery Festival. Does anyone know why he would have chosen that rather than the now-legendary B3? I seem to recall that there were lots of electronic organs available during that era. Were any others seen much on stage, or heard in recordings?

This was all before my time, so I've got to ask.

Bartolomeo

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not an expert on Lowery organs, but at the time (late '60's) I recall reading that the Lowery was better at pitch bending (I think by momentarily shutting it off?)... and he did a lot of odd pitch things in his playing. Our band is starting to do Chest Fever, and I'm struck by how artful he was with those little pitch hiccups.

Kurzweil PC4; Yamaha P515; EV ZXA1s

You can pitch bend the B3 down by shutting off the power for a couple of seconds, and pitch it up by engaging the "start" switch when the tone wheels are already running full bore.

Another piece of Lowery trivia I've never bothered to research is about the keyboard part that begins "Baba O'Reilly" a.k.a. Teenage Wasteland, by The Who. I've been told that was done using some kind of percussive repeat function on a Lowery home organ.

On Santana's "Welcome" album (some people call it their White album), the first track (title track too) credits a Yamaha Electone organ, and I presume that's what that rich, phasey, nothing-like-a-Hammond wall of sound is on that tune.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Originally posted by Stephen Fortner:

On Santana's "Welcome" album (some people call it their White album), the first track (title track too) credits a Yamaha Electone organ, and I presume that's what that rich, phasey, nothing-like-a-Hammond wall of sound is on that tune.

Yamaha Electone Organ = Yamaha GX1 synth (well, almost - guts of both are the same technology)

That was Larry Young playing on the title track, wasn't it?

Moe

---

Keyboardists on Welcome were Tom Coster and the late Richard Kermode. May have had guests though - kinda sounded like Alice playing on Welcome - or someone copping her vibe.

There were many variations on the Electone, IIRC, it was a name Yam threw around pretty freely. A local church has one (plus a Kurz Mark 10) - I try to stay away...

Daf

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Exhibit A - "GARTH Wails"

http://theband.hiof.no/band_pictures/Garth_Wails.html

Exhibit B - Hard to see the LOWREY (<-sp), but the Leslies.....!!

http://theband.hiof.no/band_pictures/cwjr_2.html

Exhibit C - On a commentary track for ''The Last Waltz'', Hudson's old boss, Ronnie Hawkins, talks about hiring Hudson back in the late '50s. ''Garth told me not to use the word weird ... but he can hear stuff that none of us ever heard.''

''Ronnie didn't hire me because I was weird,'' Hudson responds. ''I think it had to do with chords ... chord changes.''

''We were doing 'Stardust' with about three chords before Garth came in,'' said Hawkins, ''Then he put about 17 more in. That's the difference in hearing.''

And, the difference in education. Hudson was the only person with formal music training in that band, Ronnie Hawkins and the Hawks -- the group that was eventually to leave Hawkins and become The Band.

Exhibit D - Garth Hudson was 24 when he joined. He was a classically trained keyboard and horns player, who made the other members pay him for music lessons so he could tell his parents he was working as a teacher, and not a rock musician.

Exhibit E - Hudsons distinctive keyboard sound came partly from his background he was the only musician of the group with formal training and partly from his instrument. At a time when most organists were relying on the Hammond B-3 still a popular choice, and one currently experiencing a revival Hudson favored a Lowrey Festival model.

The Lowrey had strings and reeds that were a little more brittle, closer to real strings and reeds, he said. It had the bend* -- certain features that made it sound different than a Hammond. Its also a little lighter to carry around. We could take the legs off and get it in the station wagon.

Hudsons technique was also unique. There were tricks to it, so that its sometimes impossible to do some things and youd have to use a little trickery, he said. I was shown various techniques that were not even used by the jazz swing players at the time. Ken Griffin, he did these long smears and three-note glissandi.

* - Garth played a "stock" Lowrey that featured an expression pedal with spring-loaded side-slip switching ability to lower the pitch approximately a tone, similar to today's synth pitch wheel/toggle.

Exhibit G - Garth has the largest hands I've ever had the pleasure to shake. A beautiful bear of a guy. :)

I thopught I remembered hearing that about the pedal. Kinda allowed for that pedal steel vibe - very cool effect on an organ.

I heard a pedal steel player in Maryland with a midified rig use it with an organ patch. It was a stock GM Hammond patch, but it still had that Garth feel.

Daf

Garth; what a genius! His playing always moves me; his piano fills on "The Weight" are nothing short of fantastic! I read an interview with Garth in which he stated that a Hammond always sounds like a Hammond, and he wanted a different vibe. His Lowrey/string machine solo on "The Shape I´m In" on The Last Waltz is really individual sounding, as is his interlude - beautiful analog sounds there! IIRC, there´s a live DVD of the Band minus Robbie Robertson from the early '80s where Garth plays a CS-80 with great result. Right now, he´s playing with "Burrito Deluxe", doing a lot of accordeon stuff. I have yet to check out his work on the latest Norah Jones album. :thu:

Originally posted by Analogaddict:

Garth; what a genius! His playing always moves me; his piano fills on "The Weight" are nothing short of fantastic! I read an interview with Garth in which he stated that a Hammond always sounds like a Hammond, and he wanted a different vibe. His Lowrey/string machine solo on "The Shape I´m In" on The Last Waltz is really individual sounding, as is his interlude - beautiful analog sounds there! IIRC, there´s a live DVD of the Band minus Robbie Robertson from the early '80s where Garth plays a CS-80 with great result. Right now, he´s playing with "Burrito Deluxe", doing a lot of accordeon stuff. I have yet to check out his work on the latest Norah Jones album. :thu:

I could have sworn Richard Manuel did the piano on "The Weight".

For a snapshot of the inside of Garth's head give a listen to "The Genetic Method"...

No signature required.

Originally posted by Jon Doe:

He did, but I believe AA was referring to a later performance, after Manuel's death...

Daf

Originally posted by Jeep:

Exhibit B - Hard to see the LOWREY (<-sp), but the Leslies.....!!

http://theband.hiof.no/band_pictures/cwjr_2.html

That's right, Garth never did buy himself a keyboard stand, did he. :D

Thanks for all the info, Jeep! :thu:

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Originally posted by DafDuc:

Originally posted by Jon Doe:

He did, but I believe AA was referring to a later performance, after Manuel's death...

Daf

I managed to edit my post so that it made no sense! ;) I was thinking of the Last Waltz version with the Staple Singers, where Garth is playing the piano. The playing on Rock Of Ages is probably Manuel, since it sounds like Garth playing all these tasty organ fills at the end of each chorus. Anyhow, I can´t think of two better and more personal players in a band than these two cats, simply great!

:thu:

My first keyboard (other than the family piano) was a Lowrey Portable Organ...that's what they called it...purchased when I was in high school in the early 1960's. It had Lowrey's pitch-drop lever on the expression pedal. You hit it with the side of your foot, and the whole organ abruptly dropped 1/2 step. There were no adjustments...a semitone was what you got, and it didn't glide into it, it just happened. When you moved your foot off the lever, it would snap back into it's original pitch. I don't know if there were other intervals available on a Festival, but I suspect not. A much different effect than turning a B3 off and on.

Wifee got me the Band's Greatest Hits Remastered for Christmas. Liner notes say it WAS Garth on piano on the original Big Pink version of The Weight. Manuel sang harmony.

Really digging the CD, some gems on there I haven't heard in decades, like Time to Kill and Chest Fever.

I'm a huge fan of these guys. They're my favorite band, so this is probably sacrilege...

...but I think I like 3 Dog Night's version of Chest Fever better. But that's another recording I haven't heard in decades.

Originally posted by DafDuc:

...but I think I like 3 Dog Night's version of Chest Fever better. But that's another recording I haven't heard in decades.

I have to agree. Although the Band's was first & with more raw emotion, 3 Dog Night's was technically better.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Archived