Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

panic attack

wmp

Originally posted by Byrdman:

That's because most of us have never had the chance to try one! If they would only publish their dealer list on their web site at least when one is travelling one could make a special side trip to try one, but they do not do that.

hmm, I could start a thread of dealer locales, I do know of one (1) in Canada, but it might be real short.

wmp, your dialect is intriguing. I have relatives in Boston, but they're not nearly as entertaining. Maybe you're a writer?

Water does find a way. As much as I'd rather stick around, I've got dozens of soggy boxes in the basement I have to sort out. Adios.

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This handful of reviews convinces me that I'm thinking rationally about an irrational situation.

http://www.samedaymusic.com/productreview--KRZPC2XPGM

Note the availability of factory resealed units for less.

It almost seems I have to buy the disposable PC2X for the need to keep it all in one semi familiar package right now. I just hope it buys me enough time to shop. This'll make me resent buying a PC2R too. It took me ten minutes and two phone calls to square away my guitar rig. Great, compact gear, dirt cheap. I expected the keyboard rig to be harder, but not this hard.

--wmp

Originally posted by wmp:

[QB]Greg,

To get sagely advice from a guy who owns a dozen B3s, every current organ offering, and is otherwise an old gearhead, I sat in with an old band on a Nord Electro last night. The controls were foriegn enough to make it feel clumsy, but it did sound quite nice and had a good organ feel. No wall wart either. Light plastic construction, but I know nothing about plastics. Some will stop bullets, some won't. It seemed to be better built than many. The thought of a 17 pound axe in a 40 or 50 pound flight case seems almost ridiculous.

QB]

Just for the record, the Electro is a very robust all steel construction with wooden side cheeks. Nevertheless it is very light as you noticed, around 18lbs. I'm a long time Electro user, and I agree it sounds good, but even after a few years I also find it clumsy. Impossible to activate the leslie brake or fast/slow switch without switching off the leslie simulation altogether etc etc
hang out with me at woody piano shack

Still scrambling to avoid the PC2X. I'm now thinking about something like the PC2R and a unit like this...

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--EVOUC33E

... to deal with the drawbars, patch changes, ad nausum. Pointer to this sort of stuff with a few more sliders and a bunch of pedal inputs would be great. I know nothing about the current products, but at least I have the software chops to deal with it. The right box of this ilk makes the keyboard problem a little easier to address.

--wmp

Have you ever tried a DPM C8? There is a much smaller, streamlined model called a C8m, I think.

All the Nashville ivory pounders used to swear by them. You still need to MIDI in a slider box, but in all my years of music retail, I never saw one have a keyboard issue. And it felt nice. I've seen the big one (C8) survive an inner-city college MIDI lab for over 10 years without a service issue even though everything remotely removable had been pried off the front panel.

"For instance" is not proof.

Top quick search results on the DPM C8 shows stuff like "DPM C8 wanted", "for sale - removed", and a quick look at peavey.com leaves me thinking this as an old board and that peavey is out of keyboards. The peavy stuff I've used (not keys) has been pretty reliable.

I think I was told that this had a Fatar action, but I know I've been told a load of crap along the way. Your endorsement has the sort of glow I was looking for. An old worn one that still works and plays well sounds quite appealing, if it fits the weight requirements.

Now the rig is starting to look like a controller, PC2X, dodad box, usb midi, and a laptop. More wires. Back to the future, but almost dealable.

I'm off to dig for specs and deals. Anything

else you can tell me about this board would be great.

Sincere thanks.

--wmp

Hey man, just thought of this. Kurzweil vastly improved the action on the PC-series to combat the problem you're having (and one I shared).

The PC2X action is solid. Shouldn't give you too many problems.

Weasels ripped my flesh. Rzzzzzzz.

>> Kurzweil vastly improved the action on the PC-series to combat the problem you're having (and one I shared).

The reviews I mentioned a few posts ago paint a picture of the PC2X that more closely resembles the experience I had with the PC88, right down to the love hate thing. It'd be helpful to know when the action was vastly improved and how. I'd like to see the ECOs, but Greg will get his marketing data long before that happens.

It's silly to think about assembling a keyboard rig right now. I should have paid attention to Tom a long time ago. PC2X, and perhaps even two of them. Sometimes the obvious mistake is the best one. Done deal.

Thanks for all your help, folks.

--wmp

Break a leg, wmp! Let me know if your travels take you north. I'd pay big bucks to see you pulverize your piano. Kind of sounds like Lisztmania!

:wave:

[edited for spelling. can never get Liszt right the first time]

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Happy Ground Hog Day.

Hello, Sweetwater? A quote 2 PC2X and 2 replacemet actions FOB my place please? While I was waiting for them to not call back, I bought 2 factory resealed units elswhere. Sixty day cash back.

If it becomes necessary to accumulate any more, it becomes feasible and attractive to re engineer the thing for the real world.

Yes, gangsu, all over the place, US and Canada. They say Europe, but I think the'd be as welcome as French wine at a Texas BBQ these days. A bad schedule in terms of travel per gig. Mostly bus, an occasional plane. Probably pass right by several time before I stop near you. Are you closer to somewhere, or nowhere?

So, I'm off to play a short unweighted something for a week. They say it has pianos and organs.

For all your help and humor, thank you all.

--wmp

Archived