Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord products

part1sts

I have been checking out the nord website and really liking the demo. Besides the electro 73 I have not found a music store who has other nord products. Now I checked the mp3s for the lead 3 and the G2 modular, and they both sound amazing. I wanted to know if anybody has tried these two, and how they compare. Are they both ideal for live performances? And which, overall, is a better synthesizer.
Together we stand, Divided we fall.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was looking into the Nord lead 3 for awhile. I was told by those who use it that it excels for live performance while the g2 is more programable. I have had the same problem trying to demo nord synths in stores, basically not finding any at all. There is a few threads about the lead 3 here on the forum, do a quick search.

"Learn the changes, then forget them."

-Charlie Parker

if sounds coming from NL3 are doing it for you, then polyphony and knob-per-parameter UI make it more viable choice for live performance.

not to say NL3 isn't used in studio - it can pull of multitimbral performance. and what it does , it does great, it's only that G2 can be even more versatile, with programming options beyond standard 'analog polysynth' arhitecture.

G2 can be used live, but it all depends what type of sounds and polyphony you require.

fwiw, for musical and warm sound, NL3 is my fav of the available VA.

http://www.babic.com - music for film/theatre, audio-post

I may be wrong on this, but IIRC the G2 has the ability to play Lead 3 patches via a pre-patched Lead 3 architecture. Considering the audio ins and outs, the MIDI modules, the extra octave, the four-zone MIDI and the overall flexibility, the G2 blows almost anything away. And it does DX-patches too! :D

They can sound similar, as the Modular is supposed to have the Lead 3 filter model now. But the Modular is capable of so much more, especially the G2.

And Analogaddict... do my eyes deceive me, or did you say that? Or are you warming to the notion of adding some virtuality to your analog mix? ;)

This keyboard solo has obviously been tampered with!

Originally posted by Sir Basil:

And Analogaddict... do my eyes deceive me, or did you say that? Or are you warming to the notion of adding some virtuality to your analog mix? ;)

In my opinion, the Clavia stuff has very "analog" algorithms! ;) I´d love to have a G2X... I think I´ll wait until after NAMM at least.

:cool:

Originally posted by Analogaddict:

Originally posted by Sir Basil:

In my opinion, the Clavia stuff has very "analog" algorithms! ;) I´d love to have a G2X... I think I´ll wait until after NAMM at least.

Keep your eyes on the second hand lists. I've seen a surprising number of G2s for sale in Sweden, at 1/2 new price.
hang out with me at woody piano shack

It wouldn't surpise me. The G2 is being billed as a performance keyboard, more so than the original modular. And it's more friendly for live performance, but it's still a complex beast. More complex than the Nord Lead 3 by a mile.

Apart from the polyphony issue, Tom mentioned, there are bound to be some people who get dissapointed when they see how hard the G2 is to master. It's not that Clavia makes it difficult. The G2 is a brilliant approach to simplifying the design, but the flexibility it brings requires more analytical rigor in the user.

The G2 can do more things than most synths, but it's not for most people.

Jerry

The Electro, the G2, and the Lead 3 are very different instruments.

The Electro is a mainly a B3 clone, with the pianos added as a bonus. Buy it if you want a lightweight B3 clone that sounds great. Don't buy it if you want the physical experience of B3 playing (drawbars, two manuals, traditional control layout). Don't buy it for the pianos alone, unless weight is a really big deal to you, because you will probably be happier with weighted keys for this purpose.

The Lead 3 is a standalone VA synth. I have one and like it, though I've decided that I'm more of a piano/organ guy than a synth guy so I'm going to get rid of it. The Lead 3 is a fine instrument upon which to experiment with synthesis, because the controls are all right there where you can tweak them. The controls are intuitive, and there's enough built in memory, and enough performance features, that you can have a Lead 3 and never plug it into a computer, and still do everything you need to do, synth-wise, in a live setting.

The G2 is something you set up in advance with your computer. You can tweak it, but you would not want to try to create new sounds on it without using a computer. If that's your style of working, great.

Bartolomeo

Originally posted by part1sts:

with the g2x, would you be able to tweak your sounds during a live performance?

Yes, to a certain extent. The front panel buttons can be set to tweak the most useful parameters - quite a lot of them - and you can store variations of a sound for easier live tweaking. However, you can´t change the architecture or patches in standalone mode. For most applications, I don´t think that will be a problem, it´s just like having a "regular" va.

Konaboy - I´m keeping my eyes open! Thanks for the heads-up.

Part1sts, you could download the G2 editor from clavia and look at the modules on your computer if you like. Pretty much any "variable" in any module can be tweaked live.

Though as analog addict pointed out, simple subtractive works best for unplanned tweaking.

Jerry

Thank you. One more question. Can the lead 3 and the g2 sounds compare to the virus classic? Becuz the Virus Classic IS almost half the price, and I already do have a controller in hand if I do purchase one. I cant find any dealers who have g2's or lead 3's. It's insane. I heard so many great things about both, but it seems like they do not sell to well in Cali. Im sure they are big in Europe. And regarding the electro 2, the more I play it, the more I am thinking about purchasing it. The organs, at least for me are way better than I could ever want. And the piano sounds, if equalized well, for me once again, sound very good. I have found out that all because a piano sounds "true", it does not mean that it will sound great live, especially with a band.

Thank you. One more question. Can the lead 3 and the g2 sounds compare to the virus classic?

This is a hot potato; both the Virus and the Nords are great products. Personally, I prefer the Clavia approach; I like the nords without fx, but not so the Virus. You may feel differently about this.

I have found out that all because a piano sounds "true", it does not mean that it will sound great live, especially with a band.

Absolutely true, there´s a lot of tweaking involved in a good piano sound. For me, there´s nothing like the Electro; I have a Motif rack, a Triron rack and an XV-2020, and nothing blends like the Electro. The Motif ES is my favorite runner-up.

good to hear... and what do you mean by clavia's approach? DO you mean that the layout is more user friendly?

I really like the UI; you have access to all the important parameters on the front panel, and the endless dials and led:s make tweaking sounds on the fly real easy. IMO it´s the best synth to learn synthesis on, and it goes real deep too. I also like the basic sound; with no fx they still sound great, adding good reverb/delay/compression/whatever just makes them sound even better. The "free running osc"-thing makes them sound rather alive, too. Not quite analog, but animated. They can cut like a knife through a mix, too! The weight and size are other important things to me, and they´re extremely lightweight and portable.

And i noticed they also have the rack 3, which would be the same thing, just without keys. So this could compare directly to a virus... I wonder which one takes the cake.. I have a feeling nords sounds are a little more quality.

You'll see a lot of debate on Nord 3 vs. Virus. The Nord 3 (to me) is more like a traditional analog. I've heard people say the opposite. The strongest aspect of the NL3 sound is the oscillators. The strongest aspect of the virus the filters. IMO.

With the Nord you may need to get additional efx processing. The virus has pretty phenomenal integration of efx with the sound. And it's got a lot of range and subtlety, expecially in the harsher side of the spectrum. While the NL3 is also capable of being very harsh, (multiple distortion stages) it's a less immediate, more distant kind of harshness than either the virus or the NL2, in my view. That's really the attraction of the NL2 classic, it's simple and it bites. The NL3 is much more of a luxury synth. More tonal range, more ability to make sweet analog tones. And the best interface in the business. IMO.

Jerry

Archived