Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The NAMM speculation thread

Tusker

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmh, and I posted on them both. Shouda checked. I'd think the rumor mill would start up around now.

Zero, wouldn't you think that the fortunes of the Varios and the V-synth would rise and fall together? I'm hoping they come out with more cards too. If you think of it as their classic rompler "gillette" strategy (sell the synth then make money off the roms), they would want to do that. However I suspect that organizing yourself to making new code is less leveragable than using your sample library to eke out some more dollars.

I can't see the big Neko being attractive to me. nEKO sounds closer. But racking it like receptor would seem to take the cost out. And let you pick your controller. To markyboard's point, the workstation vst player, needs to offer some additional "master controller" functionality in order to be distinctive. If you could load and manage the VST's easily in a modular way (like spark) that would help.

Oh, I predict that Steady and the Yeti will find that they already know each other. :D

Jerry

My predictions:

We will finally see the full capabilities of the Virus TI. By full capabilities I mean that we will see not only what the wavetables offer, but also some features that have not been mentioned. I predict that it will have some G2 like capabilities which will permit users to create their own synth models. Just a hunch though.

Hopefuly Korg will have a new VA.

The Kurzweil VA-1 will come back into the spotlight with a vengeance.

We will finaly see the Spectralis in it's completed form.

The M5 will make an appearance.

Dave Smith will release a new keyboard instrument based on his evolver line of synths.

I'm sure there will also be some unanticipated annoucements as well.

Dave Smith will release a new keyboard instrument based on his evolver line of synths.

I could live without the keyboard, but I would love to see a "desktop" version of the PolyEvolver. The current rack version is not that fun to edit, and (at least on a Mac) the included software editor is not that great....

Originally posted by Marzzz:

I could live without the keyboard, but I would love to see a "desktop" version of the PolyEvolver. The current rack version is not that fun to edit, and (at least on a Mac) the included software editor is not that great....
I've run out of tabletop space must have rack ears !!!!!!!! But I'm all for the keyboard too, hopefully something substantial like the Andromeda ???????? All the knobs on top with a nice logical layout. The Poly has quickly become my favorite synth.

Rob Hoffman

http://www.robmixmusic.com

Los Angeles, CA

Originally posted by Marzzz:

Of course, in a sense a desktop version of the Poly Evolver can already be had by interfacing a table top Evolver with the rack unit. That allows an extra voice to play with too. Even so, ideally one would probably want a dedicated unit with a fair amount of knobs and a more detailed display.

My NAMM prediction is the same one I made last year: more instruments and effects units that merge one or more advantages of hardware (analog sound, immunity to piracy, stability, knobs and faders, etc.) with the advantages of computer software (DAW interfacing, GUI editing, etc.).

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Geoff:

Chaining the Evolver with the Poly was touched on in a previous thread. I think that's too expensive for a 5 voice synth, without a KB. If you consider the competition out there from the VA market (I know its not the same thing) you can get a lot of synth for 2k.

It seems like the instruments that are getting some attention on this thread are the DSI POLY Evolver and a Motif ES rack. Keyboard players that don't want just another "Me Too" product can't help but be interested in what Dave Smith is putting out. I'm anxiously awaiting Winter Namm to see what he comes out with too. Players that already have a workstation class board would like to see a Motif ES rack, minus the latency issue with the current Motif rack. It will be interesting to see if Yamaha uses their survey information and comes out with a powerful KB with less than 88 keys. :)

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

You know what's frustrating, nobody around here has an evolver or poly-evolver to show.

Array, I'm with you on Korg and VA's. I think the Legacy collection shows how far Korg has come in the modelling department. It's time to update the hardware offerings (Triton, MOSS) to be more in line with those software capabilities.

I hope more digital I/O and control (MLAN, SPDIF) is seen in hardware synths.

Jerry

Tusker:

You might want to send Dave Bryce an email. He can probably hook you up with a DSI dealer that has one to try out.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

You mean "Tri"? I could live with something like a Trilogy III or Triumph or some other "Tri" as long as it was a big step towards the Oasys. How about a workstation synth that used an expanded Legacy engine combined with the Triton Extreme plus waverom and a MOSS synth engine with more polyphony? And a nice raft of controls and inputs like a Kurzweil, as well as SCSI, USB and MLan? That would just about be an Oasys, wouldn't it? With todays chip performance and low price, Oasys looks just about affordable.

I'm also counting on some movement from our friends at Creamw@re.

This keyboard solo has obviously been tampered with!

imho, what KORG needs most right now, regarding its future workstations, is revision of voice arhitecture with more velocity switching than two per osc. Second they need to rid of their plastic papery resonant filters and put in a truly remarkable digital filter, possibly with a 'emulation' mode like Virus has for moog. Also their complete audio path is a bit dark, needs revision in direction of more fidelity - for example, when i loaded the same Fazioli piano in Kontakt, Triton Studio and E4XT - it was ok in Kontakt, muffled in TRITON, and larger-than-life in Emulator. I tried tweaking and bypassing all that i could, but you just dont get a clear sample playback unaffected when going thru tritons arhitecture. one of the reasons why i sold it. You can hear this 'effect' on almost all 'analog' renditions on Extreme series. They can put terabytes of ROM inside , it still wont help this issue.

Also, they need to make a really playable HQ piano and rhodes multivelocity sample, and dispence with the tube thingie.

otoh, imo they still have the best programmers, FX, arpeggiators and UI out of all workstations.

http://www.babic.com - music for film/theatre, audio-post

Now that is interesting. I noticed that just about every patch on my JP-8000 uses the EQ, especially the treble. Without EQ, the patches are all dull, so it may be that way with all the Triton patches also. I know that just about every patch I looked at uses EQ on it, which I trimmed back quite a bit on the ones I intended to use. It seems that way on my landlord's S80 as well. Maybe we should ask for an audiophile synth engine for Christmas along with everything else.

Come to think of it, my XV-3080 doesn't seem as EQ happy.

This keyboard solo has obviously been tampered with!

I wasn't aware of the Triton being dark on 3rd party samples. Is that with zero filtering Tom?

I like the way Yamaha tends to have a dedicated eq stage. I hope that we will end up with some mastering type tools (multi-band compression, impulse modelling) and new dsp ideas in the output stage of synths. Part of the rompler problem is the deadness of sound. So the programmer is walking a line between bright/harsh and muffled/sweet. Since emulative synthesis keeps the traditional filtering mild to preserve sample fidelity, it would help to have other ways to create phase shifts and interest.

Jerry

Originally posted by Tusker:

I wasn't aware of the Triton being dark on 3rd party samples. Is that with zero filtering Tom?

yes. i tried several times, making sure everything is bypassed or set to off. no FX, no velocity to filter or something like that. it doesnt matter, difference isnt too subtle, it can be spotted on any sound that has reasonable ammount of HF content - i noticed tritons 'muffled' tone first when i needed extra poly and transfered a female choir sample from E4 to triton. it is not only different in freq. content, but dynamics sound smaller, more compressed, as well.
http://www.babic.com - music for film/theatre, audio-post

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Me, too. I'll be working for two companies - one in Hall A, the other in Hall E.

That should be fun... :freak:

Hey Dave, when does your job with Clones-R-Us start? ;)

Originally posted by zeronyne:

I'm trying hard to be there.

zeronyne, were you able to reserve a hotel ?

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Archived