Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The NAMM speculation thread

Tusker

It's the day before Thanksgiving and Christmas shopping season starts on Friday. It's not too early for us to engage in that most hallowed KC tradition ... idle speculation about what NAMM may bring. :D

I think (hope) we will see new top of the line romplers from Roland and Korg. Fantom X will (surprisingly) prove to be a stepping stone, much as Fantom S was.

Got speculations?

Jerry

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't we done this already? :)

I don't know if Yamaha is "due" for an upgrade to the S90 based on when the current model came out, but we might see an ES90.

New Roland digital piano with new piano samples. Maybe we'll see samples that have longer sustain than the 10 seconds the RD700 now has. The RD770.

New piece from DSI. Maybe some kind of POLY with knobs! I want one. :) I WILL find a way to get one. :thu: Gas conquers all!

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Wishlist:

Hammond XK-3r tabletop unit with drawbars (one set), tubes, and expression pedal input - i.e. XK-3 minus keyboard and mod/pitch wheels.

DSI Keyvolver mono synth (just but the Poly if you want more voices) with 3 or 4 octave keyboard lotsa knobs, 3 wheels, joystick, ribbon, bc input, expression pedal input, footswitch input, assignable x/y pad, shaped like a KX-5.

Motif ES that actually remembers stuff when you turn it off ...

Keys: Hammond SK2, Hammond SK1, Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Waldorf STVC

Amplification: Line6 L3T, Yamaha DBR-10, Presonus Air 10, Leslie 122V

I think it's about time Novation offiically release their Remote 49 and Remote 61 keyboard controller models. I suspect Access will draw much enthusiasm and interest at this show, assuming that they'll be there ;)

V.

Waldorf MicroQ Keyboard

Roland JX-8P

M-Audio Firewire 410

BBE MaxCom

Propellerheads Reason

I, for one, am sick and tired of the annual repackaging of technology that we see from Y-K-R every year. "Same old thing in a different box" has been NAMM's theme for years now. Probably the hottest announcement will be the long-anticipated Yamaha Motif-ES rack module, which will only prove my point. :rolleyes:

One interesting marketing concept may be coming from Roland: their new G70 pro arranger (yep, it's the most obvious repackaging job ever) will be shown at NAMM but what's different is the way it'll reportedly be marketed - free demo models are to be sent to dealers and they will take customer orders with Roland sending the keyboards directly to the customer. No haggling on the MSRP so everyone will pay the same thing for it. This will help local/small dealers because you won't get a better price from big retailers or off the web... hometown dealers will no longer be "try but not buy" places if this works, and high-end pro instruments like the G70 will get more exposure. Whether customers will go for this remains to be seen.

I don't know exactly when it happened but at some point softsynth premieres at NAMM began outpacing new hardware, and I expect this trend to continue. What's missing is more development along the softsynth-host line to accomodate these products. Open Labs just announced their new nEko LE, which is their first keyboard to be priced around the same $3k range of other popular synth workstations, so it'll be interesting to see if the Windows XP-based nEko can finally compete with hardware synths. I wonder if any other small innovative companies like Open Labs will spring up?

The last thing we need is yet another two-octave controller so we'll probably see a few more of those. Maybe, just maybe, someone will come out with a 76-note weighted action controller finally. You would think someone would've heard the cry for this by now! Then again, there's a lot of work yet to be done working out the bugs of the existing 88-note weighted controllers. :rolleyes:

Wake me when it's over... :bor:

I wonder if there will be a Reason 3 announcement. There has been a lot of speculation about it on various forums, and the props people have fueled it by placing little puzzle pieces on the propellerhead web site.

I hope for an improved sequencer, eq, and compressor.

...I think I need to go ahead and write that letter to Santa.

David

It would be interesting if Korg would make a module version of the CX3. If they do, I hope it's small enough to fit comfortably on top of some other keyboard. Either that, or make the 'guts' of it a half-rack-space module, and have an (optional?) drawbar controller (very small, to fit on top of another kbd) that plugs into it. Exp pedal, sustain pedal (purists ignore), other pedals, plug into the drawbar controller. The drawbar ctlr also has a tiny pitchbend and modwheel.

The Roland clonewheel module is way too huge, in my humble opinion.

Originally posted by The Pro:

I, for one, am sick and tired of the annual repackaging of technology that we see from Y-K-R every year. "Same old thing in a different box" has been NAMM's theme for years now. Probably the hottest announcement will be the long-anticipated Yamaha Motif-ES rack module, which will only prove my point. :rolleyes:

I would spring for an ES rack. I have been hoping one would appear for a while.

Now what I would really like to see is a promega 3 module.

But the pace of improvement really does seem to have slowed to a crawl. None of the majors has advanced the state of the art in piano and EP simulation for years - they have only refined what they already have.

I'm trying not to be too cynical about repackaged stuff...recouping R&D costs is hard as hell.

I'm hoping for more Profile Cards for the V-Synth, since the VariOS seems to be dead. The D-50 was fine, but I think the V-synth can handle 40 megs of samples, so you could easily get a JV1080 in there. The Jupiter was already done for the VariOS, so they should be able to port that over.

I hope and pray that the Elektron guys sold enough MachineDrums and MonoMachines to keep making new stuff. They rule.

I bet the Kurzweil VA will be there...with no release date (Dammit! There I go being negative...sorry).

Maybe the rebirth of Waldorf? See! I'm optimistic again!

And maybe the Digital Les Paul will have something to hook up to this year.

"For instance" is not proof.

What I don't want to see:

1) ANOTHER 2 octave controller. We don'nt need another so don't bother, please. Thank you very much.

2) ANOTHER disappointing Roland digital rehash of glorious analog legends. Juno-D??? What were they thinking?

What are the odds of seeing a poly aftertouch keyboard controller with at least 5 octaves? Will someone please develop one?? I have American dollars in hand. And some pesos too.

V.

Waldorf MicroQ Keyboard

Roland JX-8P

M-Audio Firewire 410

BBE MaxCom

Propellerheads Reason

Originally posted by Gruv:

2) ANOTHER disappointing Roland digital rehash of glorious analog legends. Juno-D??? What were they thinking?

This has been discussed over and over here. Try the search command. It is not a digital rehash of anything. The Juno name, regardless of its status now, was always supposed to be associated with entry level keyboards. Believe me, I was the first one to bitch about this. But the justification makes perfect sense.

"For instance" is not proof.

Originally posted by zeronyne:

Originally posted by Gruv:

This has been discussed over and over here. Try the search command. It is not a digital rehash of anything. The Juno name, regardless of its status now, was always supposed to be associated with entry level keyboards. Believe me, I was the first one to bitch about this. But the justification makes perfect sense.
I must have missed those posts. I was an occasional browser here until just a few days ago. I took a look at the model in question and was sorely disappointed with the results. I did not think it earned the merit of being labelled a Roland Juno series product.

Those threads that you spoke of must have been quite interesting. I will look for them. I apologise if I seemed ignorant and inflammatory just now.

V.

Waldorf MicroQ Keyboard

Roland JX-8P

M-Audio Firewire 410

BBE MaxCom

Propellerheads Reason

Originally posted by synthetic:

I predict that steadyb will be hoarse by day 2.

I walked by the Apple booth at AES like 20 times a day, and every time, steadyb was in full-swing pitch.

When you say the same thing that many times over and over (as you also know, synthetic), you start to lose track of the meaning of what you're talking about. I find it nearly insanity-inspiring.

Respect those trade show pitch people!

- Jeff

I'm generally a non-violent yeti. I only participate in hand to hand combat, and even then, that's only if it's absolutely necessary. Hopefully, that won't be the case. :D

BTW, you'll know it's me, because I will open up my jacket to reveal a "Bearded Yeti" T-shirt with my name and avatar printed on it.

Originally posted by bearded yeti:

I'm generally a non-violent yeti. I only participate in hand to hand combat, and even then, that's only if it's absolutely necessary. Hopefully, that won't be the case. :D

BTW, you'll know it's me, because I will open up my jacket to reveal a "Bearded Yeti" T-shirt with my name and avatar printed on it.

I think he'd recognise you just from your avatar photo - I mean, how many Yeti's show up at the NAMM show? ;)

Question: How many Yeti are there in southern California? Answer: A LOT. How do you recognize them? Answer: They're all wearing suits and selling something at Winter NAMM :D

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I'm hoping for a Leagacy update-especially a Wavestation 2 that lets you use any samples you want including the ones made with the new analog input feature. Not to mention all the additional filter types (with Q of course) and enhanced envelopes.

And why are these emulation type soft synths omitting multi patch mode? Opening several instances is not an acceptable work around.

OK I'm done.

Archived