Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MUST HAVE !!!!

robmix

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Rabid:

Nice, but YEOWWWWWWW what a price. I think I would just go with the .com modular. :freak:

Robert

Very different vibe. It's the old East Coast philosophy of design (Moog, Polyfusion, Arp) versus the West Coast philosophy (Buchla, Serge).

If you wanted to compare modern modulars:

East Coast - dotcom, Blacet, MOTM, Oakley, Analogue Systems, Analogue Solutions, Doepfer

West Coast - Buchla, Serge, Wiard

The design differences are somewhat esoteric and maybe not worth going into here, but the patching/playing vibe is quite different. So if the Buchla floats yer boat but is too expensive, the dotcom and other East Coasters would not provide a similar experience.

Moe

---

I actually saw a Buchla 200 on Monday. ADAM tech (and former Alesis Clan Synth engineer) Julie Yarbrough also repairs vintage synths - she has one in her shop right now.

She also has (among other things) two Prophet-10s, two EMS Synthi-As and a VCS3 (Putney). :cool:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

The literature says that this new Buchla can store patches in memory. How is that possible? Are there internal, computer-controlled jumpers that mimic what the patch cords are doing?

It's also interesting that it not only responds to MIDI by converting it to control voltages, etc., but that some of the individual modules can be controlled by MIDI, too. I guess that means that you can use MIDI to automate cutoff frequencies, etc.

There's a lot to this machine that I can't even comprehend, but if I win the lotto, I'm gittin' me one!

:D

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Originally posted by Dan South:

The literature says that this new Buchla can store patches in memory. How is that possible? Are there internal, computer-controlled jumpers that mimic what the patch cords are doing?

:D

Nobody knows for sure yet, but it seems apparent that the knob and switch settings of all the 'e' modules can be remembered, as well as patches which are run through the matrix patcher section of one of the system modules. I don't think patch connections directly between modules can be remembered, but I'm speculating.

Awesome system nonetheless!

Moe

---

Originally posted by Dan South:

With dis:

http://www.buchla.com/200e/images/large/210e.jpg

How 'bout dat?

Dave

Yeah, sure, Very nice. Imagine what it would take to learn to use this thing. I would think the investment of money pales in comparison to the inivestment of time.

You can say goodbyte to your family, jobs, outside interests, news, entertainment, sports (if that's your thing), recretaional drug use, sexual exploits, etc. You will be spending countless hours justifying the outlay of cash.

i dont think it would take that much time to learn. besides, one of the beautiful things about modulars, is that there's always something new to do and explore.

anyway, altough the price is a killer, i think this is the first brakthru in modulars in years, actually decades. looking at motm and dot com stuff, nothing much has changed since the moog days..

so, good going Don. just hope he can sell enough to stay afloat. that i'd really want one, goes without saying.

btw, can one combine some serge modules with motm and similar stuff? what ptich and CV standards does Serge use, anyone?

http://www.babic.com - music for film/theatre, audio-post

Archived