Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chick Corea NEW ALBUM comes out on AUG 24th. You have got to listen to this

NYKeys

Titled....To The Stars.

The Original Electric Band is back and on tour right now.

This is the best Ecard

It includes a video interview and sample tracks of the entire album....

You thought you saw all that Chick could give. These sounds clips are mind blowing

CLICK HERE AND GET READY!!!

After the inital intro click on menu and you will have various choices.

MY Toys - Kurzweil PC1X, Roland A-90, Yamaha KX88, Yamaha CS1x, Novation 49SL MkII, Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2, JBL PRX615M

My Music Page

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm a big fan of that band. Can't wait to get it. I was talking to Chick's son,Thadd, a couple weeks ago and he say's, " you should hear dad's new stuff. I think you'll really like it." How cool is that?? Chick is your dad.

I wish it was RTF that were reforming, (so does Stanley, Al and Lenny but they're waiting for Chick to make up his mind) I thought the 1980s Elektrik band wasn't my cup of tea.

But... that clip did sound damn good!! :D

I found the FM and digital sounds a bit bland back in the 80s... apparently he plays a Rhodes MkV on this tour and a MOTIF 8 (not ES) and grand piano so it should be cool..

His Origins project was beautiful too...

Originally posted by orangefunk:

His Origins project was beautiful too...

Yeah, I love the Origin project too - I've seen them live and they were fantastic. Chick was playing marimba and percussions in addition to the piano.

I also saw the Elektric Band in its first year of activity. I thought they were monster players, but I was also a bit annoyed by the corny 'theatrical' numbers: The robot dance in the smoke, Chick soloing on sampled drums on the keyboard for way too long, then the (unavoidable?) moment at the strap-on keyboard, with the audience singing back Chick's phrases... I think such great musicians don't need that. But aside that, it was a great, great group.

Originally posted by marino:

I also saw the Elektric Band in its first year of activity. I thought they were monster players, but I was also a bit annoyed by the corny 'theatrical' numbers: The robot dance in the smoke, Chick soloing on sampled drums on the keyboard for way too long, then the (unavoidable?) moment at the strap-on keyboard, with the audience singing back Chick's phrases... I think such great musicians don't need that. But aside that, it was a great, great group.

Unfortunately I just see that image (also add a brightly coloured jumper/sweater a cheesy grin and that about sums it up) everytime I see the words Electrik and Band together...

I have some old Steps Ahead video from the mid 80s too, a bit soul-less I think, they were a great band in the late 70s early 80s though...

I wish it was RTF that were reforming, (so does Stanley, Al and Lenny but they're waiting for Chick to make up his mind) I thought the 1980s Elektrik band wasn't my cup of tea.

I have to agree with this as well. I would love to hear a new session with RTF, although his newest CD sounds extremely interesting. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Erlic

Originally posted by orangefunk:

Originally posted by marino:

Unfortunately I just see that image (also add a brightly coloured jumper/sweater a cheesy grin and that about sums it up) everytime I see the words Electrik and Band together...

I have some old Steps Ahead video from the mid 80s too, a bit soul-less I think, they were a great band in the late 70s early 80s though...

Nothing listening to "Eye Of The Beholder" wouldn't cure. ;)

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Montage M7, MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XS Rack, PolyEvolver, Voyager, Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

You know what would be a way cool idea?

Return To Forever-Romantic Warrior-Special Edition.

No,not a remix but the guys hopping back into the studio with kind of the same instruments( or not?) and seeing how they relate to the material *now* There could be all sorts of extras(interviews,behind the scenes,etc)and I think the whole thing could be a potential best seller.

Why "Romantic Warrior"?

It was their "Led Zep IV" so to speak.In terms of composition,production and artistry,this is probably the one album by RTF that doesn't sound dated(or at the very least as dated as *other* RTF efforts,before and since).Corea,Clarke,White and Dimeola were at the top of their game and this album reflects that all too well

Originally posted by bat63:

[QB]You know what would be a way cool idea?

Return To Forever-Romantic Warrior-Special Edition.

No,not a remix but the guys hopping back into the studio with kind of the same instruments( or not?) and seeing how they relate to the material *now*

Thats a great idea, I heard an electric version of ROmantic Warrior in 1975 (I guess it was pre Romantic Warrior the LP) on a bootleg, he played all the parts on a rhodes instead of acoustic piano... just awesome...

One thing I loved about those old concerts was that they went all over the place stylistically... electric fusion then bop kinda lines, then brazilian etc... the bop stuff just sounds great... I wish I could post something for you guys, but I'm not sure about copyright and stuff on this board..

Nothing listening to "Eye Of The Beholder" wouldn't cure. ;) [/QB]

That was my first album of his. I like his Synth work better than his accoustical stuff. It just seems like his lines and ideas flow much better IMHO.

MY Toys - Kurzweil PC1X, Roland A-90, Yamaha KX88, Yamaha CS1x, Novation 49SL MkII, Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2, JBL PRX615M

My Music Page

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm, a five-page bump on this, am I the only guy who got this album this week? :confused:

I've been listening to it for a couple of days now, DAMN! All five members are at the top of their game, but what's really kicking me in the side of the head are the compositions. I was rather disappointed with the last couple of Elektric Band releases before they broke up, I think partly because everyone in the band was contributing songs. Don't get me wrong, they're all pretty damn good composers (in particular I like Dave Weckl's solo stuff, and I'm not usually one to buy drummers' solo albums!) but a full album of Chick compositions is just.... great! Chick based the entire album on an L Ron Hubbard novel, "To the Stars". Based on Chick's involvement I actually dabbled in Hubbard's Scientology for a bit years ago, but trust me, don't go there!!! It's a pretty seductive cult, and I should have realized that a "scientific" movement by a guy who writes a lot of science fiction should be suspect. The fact that this album is based on a Novel lets me accept it that much more.

A lot of the synth timbres are unique (I haven't been synth shopping much lately) and I hope Keyboard does an in-depth interview very soon (strong hint!). But I can say that this album will take me a long, long time to fully digest, some really great stuff here!

Anyone else?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, ever have a unique, special sound jump out at you that you haven't heard for years? Chick's wife, Gayle Moran, contributes some vocals on this CD and hearing it for the first time in twenty years really made the hair on my arms stand up!!! She was on a lot of Chick's and Return to Forever's material way back when. She's still got the magic! :thu:

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Much as I love Chick, I really wouldn't care if I never heard him play Flamenco style again. Did he really have to do it again on this CD? Between "Spain" and "Armando's Rhumba", IMHO it's a bit played out. Those are great tunes, but enough is enough. Now if he could play more Cuban style like Gonzalo Rubalcaba.... :cool:

I want to hear more of this album before I buy it...I might go see them if they play here. From the bits I heard of the record, the playing was amazing but the compositions weren't holding my interest. It's something I want to check out but I'm not too excited at this point.

You know, the problem with Chick Corea is his own very high standards! After hearing works like "Now he sings, now he sobs", "Three Quartets", "Return to Forever", and "Duets" with Gary Burton, one is led to expect the same incredible quality every time. :D

About Scientology... Well, I would have a couple of stories to tell, but I will only say that I've worked with a couple of musicians who were affiliated (maybe because of Chick?), and that was enough to decide to stay away (very away) from it forever.

Originally posted by cnegrad:

Stephen,

But isn't it cheaper to buy the cd than to go hear them live?

yeah but live is supposed to be better, right? in this case I hope so

fwiw, I saw Electrik Band live at the Hollywood Bowl right after LightYears was released...I didn't care for that record too much but they played all the best tunes off the first album and it really was amazing.

I saw Chick Corea's band play at the Scientology center several years later (1994ish)...I was very bored by the music and the "Men in Black" walking around and/or standing guard at the doors were WAY creepy. Screw Scientology, it's wacko

b3, I just picked up the CD at Tower for $13.99

I have always liked Chicks Elektric Band.

More comments to follow

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

b3, I just picked up the CD at Tower for $13.99

I have always liked Chicks Elektric Band.

More comments to follow

[70's Songwriter]

I just got the album yesterday and I am still trying to feel it out. Only about Five cuts so far have caught my attention number 12 definitely is my favorite so far (this is the song you hear when you pull up the postcard). Very clear lines and you can tell they put there heart into that cut. All and All this is a good album but songs have too much going on in them. I will give a track by track review later. This is only my 4th time listening to the album.

:)

My Music Page

I've listened to it twice through now. The musicianship is absolutely amazing. The stuff these guys are pulling off is practically inhuman; especially Gambale. The energy is fantastic. Everyone souinds wonderful, including Eric Marienthal, who I usually don't care for. And as someone else above said, it's great to hear Gayle Moran Corea again. Sonically, the album even sounds great. It's nice to hear Chick exploring current softsynths like Absynth and the Spectrasonics line. I hate to say it, but the compositions really leave me flat. And how many times to we have to hear his flamenco-spanish stuff? He should really rename this project something like, "Juan Valdez In Space".

I grew up listening intently to Chick, and my playing is definitely beholden to him and others in more ways than I can count. But much as I try, I just can't get into this project. I'd rather that he resurrected either the "Three Quartets" band or the "Friends" band, with Mike Brecker subbing for the late great Joe Farrell.

hey cne, chick is 1 of my fav acoustic piano & rhodes

keyboardiists.

His playing is flawless and his runs are unreal. I like this CD just to hear Chicks chops. He does some Moog work which is fun to hear.

b3, my fav tracks are :

3/4 Mistress Luck

6 Johnnys landing

8) Alan Corday- flamenco style

10) Hound of Heaven

12) Long Passage

I am not sure I understand the ending, musically, in other words, all the great musical interplay on the above tracks. Then to end the CD with the themes

on 16 and 17 ( atonal is best as i can describe it).

IMO, the CD is definitely worthwhile. It's great to hear what Chick is up too and his amazing keyboard work.

Cine, have you checked out Los Hombres Calientes ?

[70's Songwriter]

Greg,

>Cine, have you checked out Los Hombres Calientes

I'd never heard of them, but checked them out based on your recommendation; some of it seems very cool! I'll have to listen some more. Thanks!

Regarding "To The Stars", we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. But as the old saying goes, "that's what makes a horse race."

cne, I have their first 2 CD's and I saw Los Hombres live 3 years ago.

I prefer their 1st CD a bit more. Amazon has a few mp3's for a taste of this talented band

[70's Songwriter]

Ok here is my take on TO THE STARS

There is a lot going on this project, at times it is too much case in point is the 1st track

Track 1 CHECK BLAST High energy but no clear lines, Its almost like they were excited to be back together and wanted to tell everyone what they have been doing. I still like this track, but it is a lot to digest.

ALL THE PORT VIEW Tracks Waste of disk space, send them to the stars :mad: (Except Track 9 nice lead)

Tracks 3 and 4 MISTRESS LUCK A PORTRAIT/THE PARTY Love both of these Tracks number 3 is smooth and has very clear lines on it nice piano solo. This track Definitely sets you up to the addictive Latin groove on Track 4 Frank Gamble brings the heat as it is kicked up a notch.

Track 6 JOHNNYS LANDING This is another track that is energetic, Rhodes solos are top notch, as well as Eric Marienthal/Steve Wilson (the cd cover never tells you who is playing on which track. Frank Gamble does it again on this track,

Track 8 ALAN CORDAY - Is not my favorite track but it kind of grows on you I could do without the flamingo stuff.

Track 10 HOUNDS OF HEAVEN I was jamming to this Addictive melody. High energy and everyone solos has clear lines, it makes me want to Islands. I love it

Track 12 THE LONG PASSAGE This is Elektric band all the way Gayle Corea singing is awesome my favorite track by far.

Track 14 JOCEYLYN THE COMMANDER Didnt care for this one as it reminds me of a medieval ballet

Tracks 16 and 17 WHY???

Over All this is a good album but not one that I want to listen to over and over again.

:thu:

My Music Page

b3- don't know if you saw my post, but I had the same impression of 16/17.

1/Check Blast was what I call ' Classic Elektric Band'. The unison riffs, diminished chords sounded like parts they played on tunes on older Elektric Band CD's

[70's Songwriter]

Archived