Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Expression pedal for Electro

mooghead

The manual says Roland or Proel, but didn't find any Proel model...

EV7 seems sturdy but it's 200 euros! crazy...

EV5 is 80 euros...but my question is "is it worth?"

What do you use? Any other brand to look for?

Does the same pedal work well with the Nord Lead 3...I could buy 2 :-)

Ciao.

P.s. Together with this pedal I'm actually buying a Boss FV 300 L volume pedal, and a Nord Lead 3 with its Clavia gig-bag...I'm definitely in buying mode.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Roland EV5 pedal is IMO rubbish. I'm trying to get rid of mine. There isn't much travel to begin with, and then the mechanical design is so poor that any change only happens in the top half of the available travel.

DO yourself a big favour and get a Yamaha expression pedal (can't remember the model number). This is a big beefy metal construction with loads of smooth travel, just like a real organ. Costs maybe a little bit more but you'll save some money if you get yourself the best one in the first place instead of just needing to upgrade later.

You will need to modify the cable though so that it works with the Electro. Check the Electro group for details on this.

hang out with me at woody piano shack

The vast majority consensus on the Nord mailing list is to use the Yamaha FC-7. It is sturdy, has a nice long throw, and relatively cheap. I paid about $30 for mine, and I love the feel much more compared to the short throw Roland EV-5.

You do have to make one mod - the tip and ring are wired backwards for what the Nord wants to see. Either disassemble the pedal and change them at the pot, cut the plug and rewire, OR make a short patch cable with female stereo 1/4" to male 1/4" stereo, cross wiring the tip and sleeve. I did this so that I didn't have to hack my pedal.

:D

Moe

---

Originally posted by TinderArts:

Try an Ernie Ball volume pedal. Use a 1/4' insert style cable.

I recommend using an expression pedal instead of a volume pedal - the Electro responds more like a real Hammond with tone and overdrive changes that way.

Moe

---

Originally posted by mate_stubb:

I recommend using an expression pedal instead of a volume pedal - the Electro responds more like a real Hammond with tone and overdrive changes that way.
You missed the point. Use the EB with the insert cable and plug it in the electro's control jack. This way it is an expression pedal. You'll love it.

Originally posted by mate_stubb:

You missed the point. Use the EB with the insert cable and plug it in the electro's control jack. This way it is an expression pedal. You'll love it.
Ahhh. Got ya.

Moe

---

Hi there. I use the Boss FV 300 volume/expression pedal as my main expression (not volume)pedal for my electro 73 and its the sturdiest pedal I`ve ever had. All you need is an insert cable (stereo 1/4 to two mono 1/4 jacks) and you can use it as an expression pedal. Works great and really brings the organ sounds to life. Hehe, not sure this is what you asked about, but it seems a waste to me to buy a seperate expression only pedal when the FV300 does it so well (that is not the case if your only going to use the FV as a volume pedal) :)

regards, loko

Ah, I see:) Sorry, I got it mixed up, I guess posting at 3 at night is not so good, especially after getting home from a gig and being dead tired. Sorry for not being of more help:)

Yours, loko

• 1 month later...

I use a Roland EV5 with my Electro and it works fine. I have one for gigs and one for rehearsal so I can keep the gig pedal attached to my big pedal board at all times. I do prefer the Yamaha FC7, but the EV5 is more compact and works well without the need for rewiring or doing an adaptor kit, which is needed for the Yamaha. I do prefer the EV5 when used as a wah pedal for clav and EP sounds on the Electro. It has shorter travel, much like a true wah pedal.

As for the difference between volume and expression, I cannot speak to the electronic difference, but for a Hammond, the expression pedal should not only raise the volume but also add more "drive" or grit to the sound, as if the speaker starts to overdrive with more volume. Somewhere there is a more technical description, but in the end, it really does not matter for something like the Electro. Just get yourself one of the pedals that has been recommended here and you'll be satisfied.

Regards,

Eric

So . . . please correct me if this isn't right:

The only difference between a volume pedal and an expression pedal is how they're connected to the keyboard. Running the output of the keyboard THROUGH the pedal would make it a volume pedal, whereas connecting the pedal into the keyboard as a controller causes it to work as an expression pedal.

??

Originally posted by Steve in KS:

So . . . please correct me if this isn't right:

The only difference between a volume pedal and an expression pedal is how they're connected to the keyboard. Running the output of the keyboard THROUGH the pedal would make it a volume pedal, whereas connecting the pedal into the keyboard as a controller causes it to work as an expression pedal.

??

Correct. Some pedals won't work as expected, however, due to the taper type of the pot--linear or audio. But your concept is correct.

• 1 year later...

More than one year after this thread has died, I am in the market for an expression pedal for my Electro. As we know, the Electro manual suggests the EV-5 or Proel products and recommends NOT using Yamaha products.

With the benefit of time, does anyone have any new thoughts or suggestions on a good expression pedal for the Electro?

I am going to avoid tinkering with Yamaha pedals to wire them correctly, so I'd prefer suggestions on pedals correctly wired for the Electro.

Many people have commented that they think the EV-5 to be too cheap.

Any new thoughts, comments, or suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help!

I've used EV5 from day one (I have 2 of them) and it works just fine. It is a bit smaller than the Yamaha pedals and not quite as robust, but sure is roadworthy based on my experience.

You can buy a $5 add-on to the Yamaha FC7 pedal to switch its polarity without the need to cut or solder.

The only other one that intrigues me is the Roland EV-7, which is a heavy-duty pedal that resembles a tonewheel organ expression pedal. I've never seen or used one - just online photos and specs (plus a few positive testimonials). It is pricey ($150, I think), but you may find them cheaper on eBay or other used venues.

Regards,

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna go buy an FC7 pedal for my Electro, and I just want to make sure I understand the needed modification, because I'm a little confused.

All I have to do is run the FC7's cable through a female-to-male adapter? So, something like this should work, right (although shorter)?:

CLONK

Is that all I need to do to reverse the polarity, or is there a certain adapter I need to buy that's specifically for this purpose?

It seems, from the above posts, that you have to swap the Tip and Ring wires. That extension cable you linked won't work.

A headphone extention cable would work. Just reverse the tip and ring wires on one end. While you do this you can cut it down to just a few inches long.

Swap the tip and ring. I made up a little 6" adapter to do just that. Plugs into the end of the pedal cable and you don't have to hack it up.

To answer another question of Yamaha vs the Roland EV5 - I used the EV5s for years and had no complaints - sturdy and no electrical problems. But they are more short throw than the Yamahas, and for organ expression I prefer a longer throw.

Moe

---

I'm still using 3 Roland EV-5 pedals that I bought in the late 80's/early 90's, and they're all still going strong. The only issue, as Moe mentions a couple of posts up, is the throw is shorter than the Yamaha FC7 (which I'm also using, for my Motif ES7).

If you're accustomed to a real Hammond expression pedal, you'll almost NEED a longer throw pedal like the Yamaha. If not, the Roland may suit you just fine.

Cheers,

SG

Ok, so I found a picture from this website where they sell these adapters:

http://music.ashbysolutions.com/FC7RA.jpg

Is this easy to do on your own without having it look like a hack job? Could someone possibly walk me through it? I'm completely dense when it comes to electrical wiring, so you'll hve to excuse me. :freak:

Originally posted by Bridog6996:

Is this easy to do on your own without having it look like a hack job? Could someone possibly walk me through it? I'm completely dense when it comes to electrical wiring, so you'll hve to excuse me. :freak:

I'll say this, and I mean no insult by this, but if you have to ask, then no, you can't do it yourself. ;)

Bruce's offering is for people in exactly your boat... look at it like this: the adaptor's probably going to run you $6, so you're paying Bruce $10 for his time and quality of workmanship to create the proper wiring for you, and make it look clean and professional. :thu:

The alternative is, you can spend $6 two or three times for adaptors that you're going to damage while trying to learn how to do this well enough that it looks good... and then how many hours doing it until it works... and then how many times will you have to resolder the joints when they get pulled through regular use... :(

Cheers,

SG

Thanks for the help. I may buy an Ernie Ball pedal instead. But, from what I understand, the FC7 works, but doesn't work correctly, right? If the polarity is opposite that of the Electro then it should work in the opposite direction. For example, the heel-down movement would be a swell, rather than the other way around. Basically, the exact opposite of a normal expression pedal. Right?

I'm trying to decide between an Ernie Ball and the FC7 (using it the "wrong" way for a few days till I get an adapter from Ashby Solutions).

Archived