Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ok those ads REALLY annoy me

Phait

Another site selling out to those **** google ads... dammit. It's really distracting.

*ponders if I'll ever come back*

*edit* actually they'd be less annoying at the top (where they're most effective, else I'd say go for bottom, I know that wont happen)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah 09, this is the way it's gonna be.

The opportunity to share interest-specific news, information, and experience with fellow (English-speaking) experts, via internet forums and pertinent websites, is putting the hurt on (if not replacing) magazines such as Keyboard.

By the time they publish a writeup on something, it has already been discussed to death here or elsewhere. Why pay for old news, commercials, and lottery-like "free givaways" (info gathering)?

Heck, we'll have that all right here soon enough!

No, I disagree. Web-ads can be eye catching and annoying, but users should be able to scroll away from them. When they start changing my page width, requiring me to resize my browser for only this site, that's something to speak up about.

For years, we've all been accustomed to writing and reading posts at a certain number of characters per line. However many distracting ads they wanted to drop in at the top or bottom did not affect us. They affect us on the side. Or at least they affect me.

I don't like them. I won't click on them. Awakward placement. We do enough around here to stimulate each other's GAS(!?!?). The impact we have on MI sales can't be measured by "click through."

Personally, I don't like to be reminded that this great, open forum has consumption as its ultimate goal, but it won't stop me from coming back. It may, however, deter me from patronizing these specific advertisers.

In the interest of fair and balanced messaging: You don't need anymore gear right now unless what you have is broken. ;):)

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Those are pretty harmless, but for about a week now I am getting pop up ads. I get pop up ads even for pop-up-stopping software. Anyone know how I can stop this?

I tried that trick someone posted awhile ago about shutting off IP messaging, but that didn't stop it.

What does GAS have to do with Musicplayer.com? It's not like Yamaha gives Keyboard Magazine a kickback. I can't imagine that even the ads they have on here now pays for the upkeep and server costs.

But I have a possible solution for the people it bothers. Here, let me try it:

EDIT: IMAGE REMOVED

Are the ads gone for you? It's not optimal, but it works.

"For instance" is not proof.

Suck it up and deal with it, people. Would you prefer 50 pop-ups (yes, I know some of you have pop-up blockers, but you get the point)?

Yes, ads are annoying. But the forum is free. Until they start asking me for a subscrition fee to log in, I'm not going to complain about a relatively unobtrusive way to help support the forum.

Sheesh.

- Jeff

Originally posted by zeronyne:

I have a possible solution for the people it bothers. Here, let me try it:]

zeronyne, your solution, while resourceful, made the page too wide for my monitor.

Personally, while I find the ads to be initially distracting, I imagine that my brain will soon learn to tune them out the way it does with most advertising. I'm also in favor of whatever keeps this site afloat.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Originally posted by pete psingpy:

Those are pretty harmless, but for about a week now I am getting pop up ads. I get pop up ads even for pop-up-stopping software. Anyone know how I can stop this?

I tried that trick someone posted awhile ago about shutting off IP messaging, but that didn't stop it.

Pete,

Download a free program called "Ad-Aware" by Lavasoft...it will scan your computer for spyware and help you remove it. It's very easy to do and is totally free to download. Depending on how much junkmail or surfing you do, you might find yourself running it on a weekly basis. :eek:

I'm near positive your pop-ups are coming from spyware on your comp.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Go to downloads and get the free version of Adaware 6

As far as the topic goes...I'm kinda undecided...the ads placement sucks but since I don't know what state these forums are in financially I'll give MP the benefit of the doubt that they are necessary.

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

I have a possible solution for the people it bothers. Here, let me try it:]

zeronyne, your solution, while resourceful, made the page too wide for my monitor.

It was actually a bit tongue in cheek. I'm not sure why people consider it such a problem when all we do is deal with text. As I said somewhere else, it's not easy to read test when the paragraphs are screen width...there's a reason why periodicals are done in columns. Anyway, everyone will get used to it, or they'll leave, or MP will pull the ads. It's just a small bump in the road.

What does GAS have to do with Musicplayer.com?

Seriously? With all due respect (you know a lot more about this stuff than do I), it seems pretty apparent to me that part of the function of this great site and these forums is to stimulate word of mouth, to create product knowledge and demand, and to a lesser extent, to route traffic to favored vendors and advertisers. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. It's not done manipulatively at all, IMO, but, yes, it's GAS what fuels the machine.

I also know that projects of this nature tend to rise and fall to the extent that they can demonstrate measurable returns to prospective advertisers--thus click-through metrics and the like. I was suggesting that maybe bean-counters need to be a little more intuitive less quantitative when it comes to recognizing the value of a site like this. In my opinion, every Pepsi ad is also a Coke ad in that it serves to elevate the importance of cola choice as a self-defining decision, which is good for all colas. Likewsie, every Triton v. Motif thread is good for all worsktations, even Dr. Pepper and Kurzweil...

I'm just saying I don't like it. It offends my delicate sensibilities. Like Cayce Pollard in William Gibson's latest novel Pattern Recognition, I'm allergic to logos and marketese. ;)

I ain't going anywhere, but if the site managers are interested, I think it's crass and gauche.

This is a little off-topic, but someone earlier wanted a pop-up blocker. I recommend that you install the Google toolbar. Link Here

Install only the basic toolbar, as the advanced communicates back to google and tracks what you do.

I've used it on several machines and it works great. In addition to the pop-up blocker, you get google searches for both the web and just the current site. Also give you a "go up one level" navigation button that's nice when a search lands you ten levels deep at a site with no links to navigate up.

Casio PX-5S, Korg Kronos 61, Omnisphere 2, Ableton Live, LaunchKey 25, 2M cables

Originally posted by Magpel:

In my opinion, every Pepsi ad is also a Coke ad in that it serves to elevate the importance of cola choice as a self-defining decision, which is good for all colas. Likewsie, every Triton v. Motif thread is good for all worsktations, even Dr. Pepper and Kurzweil...

That's more than your opinion, though nicely observed.

People get too hung up on brand versus brand, and in reality this is not the issue. In the '90s, Coke did an more broad-based study of its competition, i.e., what were people buying when they were thirsty (as opposed to just what other soft drinks or -- even more specifically -- colas were being purchased). Their biggest competition was bottled water, as it turned out, which is why Coke now has bottled water brands.

In music/audio, people can get hung up on this software versus that, which mic versus that and so on. But my real challenge as a marketer in this business is to get you to purchase audio gear when the same money you've chosen to spend could just as easily be used for all-terrain cycles, ski vacations, or leather jackets.

Beyond those things you need to live (food, shelter and so on), there are lots of ways to spend money. I think music gear is a good choice, one some would profess as necessary to their very survival. But in reality, you (and I) have finite amounts we can spend on gear...which is why my real competition is outside the music/audio world of consumerism.

Why I began this dissertation, I have no idea. Oh yeah! Ads. See, I hardly notice them. ;)

- Jeff

Originally posted by Stephen LeBlanc:

Pete,

Download a free program called "Ad-Aware" by Lavasoft...it will scan your computer for spyware and help you remove it. It's very easy to do and is totally free to download. Depending on how much junkmail or surfing you do, you might find yourself running it on a weekly basis. :eek:

As far as the topic goes...I'm kinda undecided...the ads placement sucks but since I don't know what state these forums are in financially I'll give MP the benefit of the doubt that they are necessary.

Thank you! Ad-aware seems to have fixed the problem with the pop ups. I had to update the .ref file first, and then it worked.

Here's the problem with those ads - they exist at the top of the thread, but look ----> way down here there's just empty space. For the one page of ads, it takes up a lot more realestate. I don't mind if they are worked into the header, but don't be a space waster.

Originally posted by Stephen LeBlanc:

Pete,

Thank you! Ad-aware seems to have fixed the problem with the pop ups. I had to update the .ref file first, and then it worked.
great! :thu: Lavasoft is very cool to offer this program for free, spyware not only triggers pop-up ads but can also slow down your computer and internet connection, especially if you accumulate a lot of them.

Originally posted by Magpel:

What does GAS have to do with Musicplayer.com?

Seriously? With all due respect (you know a lot more about this stuff than do I), it seems pretty apparent to me that part of the function of this great site and these forums is to stimulate word of mouth, to create product knowledge and demand...

[edited for length]

I'm just saying I don't like it. It offends my delicate sensibilities. Like Cayce Pollard in William Gibson's latest novel Pattern Recognition, I'm allergic to logos and marketese. ;)

I ain't going anywhere, but if the site managers are interested, I think it's crass and gauche.

Although I love logos and good marketing, I do not dispute anything you've said. It is well thought out and focused.

I also don't like ads like the ones to the right...I've seen the metrics (I conduct them for my job sometimes to gauge user interface design), and I'm not convinced that there is a discernable upside, regardless of the fact that it's basically ubiquitous. I don't know if I'd call them crass and gauche, but they are not my cup of tea, either.

But I'd rather accidently glance at an ad for vending machines than see $2.95 drain out of my credit card every month to post "funny" Photoshop files and get some feedback on gear. Not that those things aren't worthwhile, but they are oh so much nicer when they are free to the end user.

Thanks Jeff and Zeronyne for good pespectives.

Tell me, though. Are these Google ads dynamic and "intelligent"? They seem to track our threads. I was readng the latest on the football thread and all the ads were for sports memorabilia. Here, let me try something.

KORG TRITON KORG TRITON KORG TRITON KORG TRITONKORG TRITON KORG TRITON KORG TRITON KORG TRITON KORG TRITON KORG TRITON KORG TRITON KORG TRITONKORG TRITON KORG TRITON KORG TRITON KORG TRITON KORG TRITON KORG TRITON Workstation

Now, watch the ads carefully

The place is free so I am not going to complain. Remember the scare last year when we were afraid of loosing the forum?

Yes, the placement makes the forum a little narrower, but go to weather.com or any other useful site and see what has happened over the past few years. This is not different than most other sites. I prefer it over those stupid pop-ups at ESPN and many other sites.

Also, I will not boycot the companies who place the advertisements because they are the companies that are now paying to keep this site up. But please, I beg everyone, don't use those free email smileys. Nothing is really free and I value my privacy.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Warning: In a bad mood tonight...

I *definitely* don't like them. They make the threads less pleasant to read. If they're necessary for the forum's survival, I say OK, keep them - and I won't stop visiting the forum for that reason. But I don't like them, and I usually tend to hate the companies with such aggressive marketing behaviour, *even* when they offer something worthwhile.

And frankly, I don't like the aggressive behaviour of some of my fellow forumites, who seem to have a "swallow it and shut up" attitude - like if I didn't have the right to say that I don't like it, just because the place is free. I'm grateful that it is, but I'm going to voice my opinion all the same.

See "warning" above.

Archived