Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

KC Comps - Volume 7/8

Dave Bryce

Okay...

With Volume 6 behind us, it's time to move on to Volume 7.

We'd been talking about doing another theme CD for Volume 7, but I'm gonna put that on hold. It's been a few volumes since we opened it up to the standard KC comp formula (original keyboard-based compositions only, no more than five minutes, no other restrictions), so I think it'd be good to do one of those...

Also, Astor sent me a link to Disc Masters, who are running a program where people can buy on demand from them - this might work out nicely.

Here are the details:

With Disc Makers' Self Service program,

you can create and order your CDs online in just a matter of minutes. Order any amount of CDs up to 500 and Disc Makers will duplicate and ship them in only two business days.

Ordering CDs has never been easier or faster.

For more information, visit: http://www.discmakers.com/a320t/

Here's how it works:

1. Design your CD with our easy-to-use program

2. Upload your music or data via our free application

3. Choose your packaging (choices range from no packaging to super slimline jewel cases) and the number of CDs you want.

That's it. Your CDs will ship in just two business days. 24-hour rush orders are available by special request.

Need only one CD? No problem. Many musicians use the Self Service program to create one CD to see how their music will look and sound before placing a larger order. And at a cost of only $5.99, how can you go wrong?

We use high-quality CD-R media and print direct on disc in full color at 300

dpi (magazine quality). Packaging options include cases with inserts

laser-printed in full color.

All packages include:

* High-quality CD-Rs

* Professional encoding using Plextor burners

* Professional full-color printing directly onto the CD's surface (NOT

stickers, NOT inkjet, NOT silkscreen. This is photo-realistic CD-surface

printing not possible in low production quantities until now.)

* Storage costs for hosting your content and graphics

* Ability to create and order any CD instantly on a 24/7 basis

* All labor for assembly

* All packing materials and labor for shipping anywhere in USA

* Two-business day order turn-around on orders under 500 CDs

Sounds interesting, yes? I wonder how much they'd be in jewel boxes with color inserts...I also wonder how much extra the shipping'd be. I also what the deal is for our European brethren. I'll do some research...

Additionally, I may take brother Bleen up on his standing offer to master one of these projects...

Anyway, let's set a deadline of 3/15 (Ides of March) for this project. More details to follow as they happen...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Additionally, I may take brother Bleen up on his standing offer to master one of these projects...

Bring it on, brutha Dave! I'd be more than happy to master this (or any) project! :thu:

Now that this volume has been changed from an improv/performance-based one to composition-based, I'll actually get to participate with a track, too! :D

With no implication of actual commitment, I may actually contribute something to this volume. Save your weasel-flake comments, please. I am truly interested in participating in this, and will do so unless my time gets so crunched between now and mid-March that I can't knock out one simple tune.

So, as far as I know, I'm in.

Probably.

- Jeff

A note to those of you who have not participated in one of these before (and a reminder for those of you who have):

The maximum length of a CD is 80 minutes, and we only do one volume at once.

What this means is that getting a tune on the disc is done on a first-come first served basis; and, once the CD is full, we're done.

Additionally, while it's always nice to see how many people are interested in submitting tunes, saying you're in does not save you a place on the disc . Those who submit the tunes first are the ones who get on the CD.

I already have a submission from Jerry Aiyutherai (if he still wants me to use Monologue) and one from me.

dB

Originally posted by Dan O':

Have you thought about a deadline ?

It's in the first post in the thread.

dB

I missed it . Thanks .

Happy New Year to everyone. One of my highlights of 2003 was watching the entire Ravens game with my 9 1/2 yr old son :) . It's fun to have him get into football this year. :thu:

www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

I'm out of order till February 10th because I'm organizing a big event here in Rome, and I'm not going to have time even to go to the bathroom.

If the CD is not full already by, say, end of February, I'll be more than happy to contribute a piece. :)

I'm in.

I love deadlines - They gives me a chance to prioritize my own music over all the other things going on in my life :)

Happy New Year too all...

---------------------------------

"Well I'm a friendly stranger

In a black sedan,

Won't you hop inside my car."

Vehicle

Jim Peterik/Ides of March

Originally posted by marino:

I'm not going to have time even to go to the bathroom.

If the CD is not full already by, say, end of February, I'll be more than happy to contribute a piece.

Even if the CD is not full, from the sound of things, by February, you will be.

I already have a submission from Jerry Aiyutherai (if he still wants me to use Monologue) and one from me.

That would be cool. Actually, it's up to you. I had contemplated Monologue and Diatribe as complementary mini-pieces for a live synth-improv album (vol. 8?). We could use one of them here instead.

Or I could try a written-through piece ...

Best,

Jerry

Originally posted by Jerry Aiyathurai:

That would be cool. Actually, it's up to you. I had contemplated Monologue and Diatribe as complementary mini-pieces for a live synth-improv album (vol. 8?). We could use one of them here instead.
Whatever you want, brother J...lemme know... :thu:

dB

Alright darn it! Depending on the theme I want to get in on this one...

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Originally posted by RobT:

Depending on the theme I want to get in on this one...

Then you'll be pleased to hear that there is no theme. :D

This is an open compilation. Anything goes as long as there's keyboards in it, and as long as it's an original piece. And under five minutes long.

dB

Just a couple questions...

(Pardon my ignornace.)

"Keyboard-based compositions" - Ok, it sounds sort of obvious....I just want to be sure...These are keyboard-only recordings, I take it, but should they be keyboard-only sounds? I mean, when I record, I play drums on my keyboard, and I play a lot of other instrument sounds on my keyboard.

Is the composition/recording supposed to be new? I have a song I wrote in the eighties and recorded this year (finally!) that I'd consider submitting. But is it supposed to be something composed and recorded between now and March 15?

Lastly, how/where do I submit the recording? (E-mail/snailmail, .WAV/MP3, etc).

Thanks. Again, pardon my ignorance. And thanks for organizing these, Dave. They're very cool!

Check out my band's site at:

The Key Components!

Originally posted by RobT:

Depending on the theme I want to get in on this one...

Then you'll be pleased to hear that there is no theme. :D

This is an open compilation. Anything goes as long as there's keyboards in it, and as long as it's an original piece. And under five minutes long.

dB

Aiiright! :thu:

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Originally posted by b_3guy:

If you want, I'll still handle the art & get it to Disc Makers'. I already have a track I could use or I may submit a new track. Let me know if this is cool.

But of course. You are, in fact, the man. :thu:

dB

Originally posted by Jeff Irok:

Just a couple questions...

(Pardon my ignornace.)

No problem. I don't think it's ignorant to ask questions when you seek information.

"Keyboard-based compositions" - Ok, it sounds sort of obvious....I just want to be sure...These are keyboard-only recordings, I take it, but should they be keyboard-only sounds?
Keyboard-based may have been the wrong phrase. The songs just need to feature keyboards, not be keyboards only. If you play B3 in your band and you want to submit a recording you guys did, that's perfectly fine. However, if it's mainly a guitar tune with, like, just a hint of synth strings in one verse, it'd be better to submit something that shows off the keyboards more.

Remember - the audience for these is keyboard players, and the forum producing the CD is a keyboard forum. ;)

Is the composition/recording supposed to be new? I have a song I wrote in the eighties and recorded this year (finally!) that I'd consider submitting. But is it supposed to be something composed and recorded between now and March 15?
Like it says in the description - original only, anything goes. If you want to submit a tune you wrote in the '80s, go right ahead. It doesn't matter to us whether it's a new recording or an old recording as long as it's original and under five minutes long.

how/where do I submit the recording? (E-mail/snailmail, .WAV/MP3, etc).

You send me a CD with a 16 bit 44.1k version of the track. I''ll take it from there.

Dave Bryce

PO Box 669

2060-D Avenida de los Arboles

Thousand Oaks, CA, 91362

dB

Dave, what are your feelings about vocals on this one? Any need for it to be purely instrumental, or can I torture everyone with three minutes of yodeling over a keyboard bed? :)

- Jeff

P.S. I'm seriously asking about the vocals, but I couldn't stop myself from being a smart ass. but you know that already.

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

Dave, what are your feelings about vocals on this one? Any need for it to be purely instrumental, or can I torture everyone with three minutes of yodeling over a keyboard bed? :)

Vocals are pretty much always acceptable - I think the only comp that didn't have them was the solo piano one. All the rest have had liberal doses of vocals (and plenty of other instrumentation as well). In no way do these have to be solo efforts, nor restricted to keyboard sounds only.

I look forward to your yodelling. What mic would you use for that? ;)

dB

Archived