Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Direction of next KC compilation?

Dave Bryce

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW, I voted for Screw it, Originals and 2cd's.

This way, those who want to do a piano piece, can, while those who can't or don't want to won't, but still have a chance to participate.

Also, I think originals are more interesting than covers, and since 1 cd was great, I figured 2 cd's would be double the fun.

If the vote is to go with 2 cd's, I would suggest that the song length be increased from the 4.5 minutes to a max of 6 minutes. Some of us really can't express oursleves well musically (and perhaps verbally) in less time than that.

My 2 cents.

aL

PS: Although this option was not in the poll, I liked db's idea of having the two CD's be dedicated to different genres. For eg, a solo CD (one synth, one piano, ep, organ and one pass) on one CD and an unplugged piece on the other. You can always have the second CD be open to any styles played in any manner (i.e., the screw it option), or any variations of this two-themed cd, etc...

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

I voted Solo keys, originals/covers, and 2 CDs. I really like the idea of somewhat rough around the edges, forumites-jamming-in-their-basement aesthetic, and I think having both originals and covers leaves it more open for people to contribute. I'm not a prolific composer by any means. 2 CDs also means more forumites can be represented at one time.

Just my two cents.

David

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

I voted:

* Unplugged... a solo piano work would let me OUT of this too... that happened with that Beatles thing... however a guitar/piano work might be fine.

* ORIGINALS only.

* TWO CD's

:)

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Originally posted by burningbusch:

I voted unplugged, originals only. Say nein to sequencing.

Busch.

If I unplug my Hammond it won't work. :cry: , and neither would my drummer. Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

I'm not sure why you included "Screw it - let's just do an open compilation CD of originals as usual - sequencing allowed"???

We've already done 3 volumes of those (Vol. 1, 2, & 4), and a solo instrument CD (see:piano) would make for a fresh approach and include a slightly different group of contributors. If volume 7 or even better volume 8 was a "Screw it - let's just do an open compilation CD of originals as usual - sequencing allowed", then we'd have a nice balance of half the volumes being "Screw it - let's just do an open compilation CD of originals as usual - sequencing allowed" and half would be of one "theme" or another.

It's not like we're not gonna make more of these compilations, we've already got 5 of them in the can. Our track record speaks for itself. I say let's mix it up a little, try something new.

My 2 cents.

It's interesting to note that while a majority so for have voted for "Screw it - let's just do an open compilation CD of originals as usual - sequencing allowed ", nearly all of the opinion posts vote for some version of the unplugged/solo thing.

Whatever.

Rats! I didn't consider the choices properly before voting. I want to change my vote, but find that I can't....

Here's what I really want the next KC Compliation CD to be:

1. Solo piano

2. Originals or covers

3. Try for 2 volumes

Perhaps someone who really doesn't care could vote this way for me to help balance up the result? :)

Cheers,

Dave F.

Originally posted by Dave the Rave:

Here's what I really want the next KC Compliation CD to be:

1. Solo piano

2. Originals or covers

3. Try for 2 volumes

Cheers,

Dave F.

Me too. :idea:

Originally posted by steadyb:

I'm not sure why you included "Screw it - let's just do an open compilation CD of originals as usual - sequencing allowed"???

Because this is for all of us. For fun. The best way to find out what the MAJORITY wants to do is to ask.

I think Dave's doing the right thing here, we don't want people to lose interest and we definitely don't want to start pissing people off because they can't be included (unless it's just a couple, then it's ok). ;):D

"Bass isn't just for breakfast anymore..."

http://www.mp3.com/Addix_Metzatricity

I voted: "Screw it...", "Originals", 1 CD (though now I think I could freely vote for double CD as well, don't know why I didn't that...).

Why "screw it"? Because TKC always was quite democratic regarding every individual submission.

Wouldn't it be cool if there would be a heavily sequenced composition next to an "unplugged" solo piano piece? I think it would!

When it's "a solo piano only" it all starts to smell like a competition ("who plays better"), a sort of... That's not quite right imho.

Let's provide the same level of freedom as on our previous compilations. (The main condition should remain - keyboards, of course!)

Want to submit a sequenced electronic composition?

Fine! Want to give us an "unplugged" beauty of a solo piano? Cool! Want to share how your B3 sounds in a context of a full band? Great!

My 02 cents.

I am back.

Originally posted by Addix Metzatricity:

Because this is for all of us. For fun. The best way to find out what the MAJORITY wants to do is to ask.

I think Dave's doing the right thing here, we don't want people to lose interest and we definitely don't want to start pissing people off because they can't be included.

It's not about excluding anybody, it's about trying something different, not being politically correct.

Everybody doesn't need to be all things at all times.

Maybe one day we do a volume with only contributions from our female Cornerites. I'm sure it would be amazing from beginning to end.

We definitely should do "A Keyboard Corner Christmas Live From Club Claus". Think about it. Just holiday tunes.

There are lots of possibilities. Solo piano was a suggestion for the next one. Nothing more.

We've made 5 CD's so far, I've been on just two (by choice), and we're averaging almost 3 per year. There will be plenty of opportunities for everyone to contribute multiple times.

But everyone doesn't necessarily need to contribute on EVERY CD volume we do. Not because we don't want them to, but rather because the theme chosen doesn't play to their particular strength, that's all.

It's an opportunity to showcase a different cross section of the people that hang here.

I'm looking at it longer term, when we've done perhaps 20 of these things, the variety of styles and themes from volume to volume will make having the entire collection something even more special.

You're right, it is for all of us.

I think by taking each volume in a different direction will allow and encourage the most people to participate as contributors and listeners.

Whatever Dave decides in the end is cool with me.

Why not create two separate volumes simultaneously as individual CDs - one allowing for any of the solo keyboard/unplugged choices (originals or covers) and one normal style (originals only)? Then, let people choose which project(s) they want to participate in.

That way, almost everyone can be happy.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

It's not like we're not gonna make more of these compilations, we've already got 5 of them in the can. Our track record speaks for itself. I say let's mix it up a little, try something new.

I agree. I think we've pretty well established that there are a lot of us here that can make some amazing recordings with sequencers and multitrack recorders. I like the idea of giving each volume its own personality. :)

It's interesting to note that while a majority so for have voted for "Screw it - sequencing allowed ", nearly all of the opinion posts vote for some version of the unplugged/solo thing.

FWIW, I voted for the "live keyboards/synth" option. Since sampled piano would be permissable, I like the idea of having it MIDI'd to a synth sound, but still playing it live. Regardless of sound used, I really like the back-to-basics concept of "play a tune with your hands on your instrument, and record yourself doing so." Simple concept, but there can still be a world of variety! :cool:

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

We definitely should do "A Keyboard Corner Christmas Live From Club Claus". Think about it. Just holiday tunes.

Heeeeyyyyy, now THIS is a novel idea... :) I'm digging it.

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

I voted solo keyboards/synths.

Origionals only.

Let's try for two.

I like the idea of a less processed selection. That way I can submit something from my bedroom studio and not worry about it getting blown away soundwise by a full production. I would consider the unplugged version if it means I can play the drum, bass, and keyboard parts into my sequencer.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Tough one. I ended up votingfor

-keyboard/synth solo

Originals and covers

2CDs

As a guitarist, I'm not sure why I voted this way. Like steady, I've been on two of the CDs and missed th others. I want to get in on this one, and, damnit, I'll even trot out my rickety keyboard chops to do it!

One thing: I vote solo keyboarb pieces with vocals allowed.

I also like the idea of the unplugged set.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

But everyone doesn't necessarily need to contribute on EVERY CD volume we do. Not because we don't want them to, but rather because the theme chosen doesn't play to their particular strength, that's all.

I concur with this sentiment. I didn't want to get into the second CD (open-ended covers). I thought ... let others have a shot. Besides, you really like to do originals. Now, having waited out the last two and having missed the deadline on one, I am itching to do something. Even one that doesn't quite play to my strengths and tastes. For this reason, I like the idea of maybe doing a double cd with each having a different identity, to give people a chance to shine. Perhaps one could be unplugged and the other full production. Variety has played to our favor before.

I do think the vote process does include people who may not have an interest willingness to contribute, but the conversation/discussion process may exclude some who do.

One area that keyboardists shine, is the ability to make up something cool on the spot. This is a desire I'm seeing in both threads right now. The solo piano and the unplugged kind of get to this, but not precisely. Perhaps calling an album "the improvisation album" will allow people to do some of this, whether its a single pass( ex. piano solo), or extempore multiple pass recording or just extempore soloing in an otherwise arranged track.

One more idea (aren't I full of them) Is to do a commentary album. Team up with a partner, one person do a full production (sequenced) piece. Send the audio to the commentator who extemporises a piece based on the motivic material in the produced piece (a commentary). Presto, you got room for the sequenced and the unsequenced. And the album has a strong identity.

Cheers,

Jerry

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

Why not create two separate volumes simultaneously as individual CDs - one allowing for any of the solo keyboard/unplugged choices (originals or covers) and one normal style (originals only)? Then, let people choose which project(s) they want to participate in.

I'm inclined to lean in this direction as well.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Originally posted by Magpel:

Tough one. I ended up voting for

-keyboard/synth solo

Originals and covers

2CDs

As a guitarist, I'm not sure why I voted this way. Like steady, I've been on two of the CDs and missed the others. I want to get in on this one, and, damnit, I'll even trot out my rickety keyboard chops to do it!

One thing: I vote solo keyboard pieces with vocals allowed.

I also like the idea of the unplugged set.

The inspiration behind my solo piano suggestion is that we haven't done it before. Over the long hall, it would be great if each volume was a different/unique listening experience from the other volumes.

One day, you might feel like listening to the Beatle cover CD, another day - fully produced originals, and yet another day - solo piano.

The common thread here is not that everyone is on every CD, but that the total body of work (all the KC compilation volumes) reflect the different talents and strengths of all the cool people that hang out here.

If every CD is a "Screw it, let us do whatever we want" CD, it will start to get boring in a hurry.

By doing different specific themes, there's an opportunity with each volume that new people will say "now I've got something that's perfect for this one."

Otherwise, all the CD's are just a big mix of this and that, and every volume is just kinda the same.

This suggestion gets my vote.

Originally posted by steadyb

Before we consider this, think about how many holiday CDs you have on the shelf that you've only listened to once or twice. Hell, most don't even get pulled out at Christmas time. (Maybe it's just me. I grew up in a house where the Lawrence Welk Christmas albums played non-stop from Thanksgiving until New Years Day. :freak: To this day, the sound of The Little Drummer Boy has me considering a heavy dose of psychotropic drugs. :D )

The inspiration behind my solo piano suggestion is that we haven't done it before. Over the long haul, it would be great if each volume was a different/unique listening experience from the other volumes.

One day, you might feel like listening to the Beatle cover CD, another day - fully produced originals, and yet another day - solo piano.

The common thread here is not that everyone is on every CD, but that the total body of work (all the KC compilation volumes) reflect the different talents and strengths of all the cool people that hang out here.

I have to say I'm inclined to agree with steadyb's thinking here...

BTW - even though it appears the "Screw it..." option has gotten more votes, the "Live-no sequencing" options combined outnumber it...

dB

I voted:

Solo keyboards/synths.

Originals only.

Let's try for two.

I don't have any specific reasoning for it but for whatever reason I don't like the idea of mixing covers with originals on the same comp.

I actually think it would be cool if all the selections were improvised. :) but original compositions recorded live is close enough.

I think the one CD of solo performances and the other of small combos recorded live is a very neat idea and could make for a really great CD set.

My 2 cents.

I like the unplugged version, but without drums. Like MTV unplugged, acoustic stuff only. Then you can hear my lovely wife's singing voice. :) But I could be talked into solo piano as well, I need to practice more anyway.

I have yet to participate on any CD's even though I really wanted to be a part of all of them. However, my life is in such a termoil that I don't have a fully operational recording studio at my desposal. Since, I wouldn't want to submit anything that wasn't as polished as the other tracks (in terms of production), I've held back every time.

Now, suddently the opportunity to shred on the natch has come. I'm finally going to participate and my production values will be equal to everyone else's.

There have already been a handful of CD's and if some folks are whinning because they can't make it into this particular one, I think well aren't you spoiled. :P

I voted for solo, keyboards/synth, 2 CD's, but I'll happily stick to just the solo piano or whatever.

Let's please consider a CD that is all about the pure unadulterated performance, if for nothing else, because of the uncontaminated approach to it all.

Having said that, I agree that it isn't fair to divide the "yes" votes into several catagories and lump all the "no" votes together yeilds a lopsided result.

Start with a "yes or no" poll first, then if the Aye's have it, THEN divide the options up.

Carl

Best,

Geoff

I think that's the best solution. The only other way I can think of is to have one CD comprising solo's, the other unplugged (no drums), and then a third comprising our regular compositions. Also, if we didn't do all these CD's at the same time, then the project(s) would be more manageable.

my 3 cents

aL

we definitely need to have a "PIANO" album, considering the site. I have avoided the previous albums as I too felt my engineering chops weren't up to par,and I'd like to note that no one complained about not being able to contribute to the other albums. Somepeople don't like to compose, so should we have created a cd 5 (I think) to have originals AND covers?

I agree with Steadyb completely....

Originally posted by schmoron13:

we definitely need to have a "PIANO" album, considering the site. I have avoided the previous albums as I too felt my engineering chops weren't up to par,and I'd like to note that no one complained about not being able to contribute to the other albums. Somepeople don't like to compose, so should we have created a cd 5 (I think) to have originals AND covers

I have to say that this option is appealing to me more and more, especially if there is a second volume that'll allow anyone who's not into this to do whatever they want. I just don't see a down side.

I'd be inclined to say that acoustic, electric, sampled and/or layered piano would be fair game, as long as it's "live".

I'm also inclined to be in favor of covers as well as originals.

dB

If there's no sequencing, does that also exclude DAW editing and "regrooving?" How about Auto-tune? Can you record to a metronome, or is that off limits, too? Should the process matter, or should we focus on results?

I don't like the idea of original and covers mixed on the same CD. I hope that we can commit to one or the other (or make them two separate discs).

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Originally posted by Dan South:

I don't like the idea of original and covers mixed on the same CD.

I don't either. They're two different animals, that do not coexist very well together.

MHO!

aL

Archived