Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dave Letterman .........

Dan O

Did anyone catch David Letterman last night ?

I truely think his show is great . I enjoy him more that J.Leno .

He showed clip last night with Osama Lin Ladin .

Did you see it ?

I wish everyone a Merry Christmas . Dano

www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave's humor (and that of his writers) has a smart-ass cynicism that I love. I've always liked Paul Shaffer's shtick too. Not only is Dave funnier than Jay, but Conan's show is funnier than the Tonight Show also.

I always think about stopping in the Hello Deli when I pass by the Ed Sullivan Theater on my monthly NY business trip.

...and the band! the band! (it can be said more than twice, too!) I believe I remember a week when Paul Shaeffer was playing behind Al Green one day and Liza Minelli the other, both times sounding like he´d done nothing but that gig for the last couple of years. What a guy! amazing playing by the rest of the band too, as always!

/J :D nas

Originally posted by meccajay:

I saw a piece of it. What was up with Drew Barrymore. That 'Im so into you Dave' thing was so fake!!

I didn't see this one, but I distinctly remember the first time Drew Barrymore was on his show and she was really star struck. She may just act that way because it's expected of her now, but at one time at least she really had a crush on him, it was pretty funny.

Personally, I like Conan's show better these days. Dave's still good, but for anyone who gets Trio on cable or satellite, starting New Year's Eve they'll be showing his old NBC shows. There is definitely a difference between the 11:30 time slot and the 12:30 time slot.

Originally posted by Roto:

Originally posted by meccajay:

I saw a piece of it. What was up with Drew Barrymore. That 'Im so into you Dave' thing was so fake!!

I didn't see this one, but I distinctly remember the first time Drew Barrymore was on his show and she was really star struck. She may just act that way because it's expected of her now, but at one time at least she really had a crush on him, it was pretty funny.
You mean the show where she flashed her breasts for him? That was pretty good!

I don't think she flashed him the first time, but it was soon after. I remember she did that for his birthday, it might have been the 2nd time she was on.

This time(this week) she just came on and went right over to Dave's desk and laid down across the desk looking up blushing at Dave... Then she sat down and went into her 'Wow-Dave' thing, and it was all good fun. Afer the next segment they came back to her and Dave and she's still going at it full tilt and it had gotten old by then.

That's when I just decided that she's an actress and maybe she's just having a little fun, but I couldn't watch it anymore just the same.. Very rich girl though.

As far as Dave is concerned Ive loved Dave since my 15 minutes of college back in the 80's!!

Im interested to know what happened to the original band members though. I saw Hiram Bullok here in Atl back in like '95 or so. Hey came to Yin Yang cafe on Jam night and wailed with the band.....barefoot of course! Don't know what he's doing now though.

You guys remember the 2 drummers? Steve Jordan and that really young kid that played originally? What are they up to?

TROLL . . . ish.

She was just playing it up because of the flashing thing from a couple of years ago. It was funny. Maybe she has a daddy complex but I got the impression it was all flirting and games on both their parts. I love Dave but really really miss the days of Conan and Andy. It's never been the same without him.

I was just telling someone yesterday that the only reason I watched Conan's show in the beginning was because of Andy. Andy was great from the beginning, while Conan was painful to watch as he tried to tell a joke. I really like Andy's sitcom on Fox, so I don't mind as much when he left. I think Conan is good enough to carry the show even though they were better as a team during the comedy bits.

I think the problem with Dave is now that he's basically an icon, nobody is going to come on the show and call him an asshole like Cher did back in the day. They are more likely to kiss his ass like Drew Barrymore. A lot of Dave's guests visibly didn't like him when he was on NBC and he really didn't care, which made it all the funnier.

Originally posted by nel/astor:

I love Dave but really really miss the days of Conan and Andy. It's never been the same without him.

Have you seen the Andy Richter show on Fox? It's really funny and it is good to see him doing something that is a step up from "Cabin Boy"! :)

I have this theory that he was asked to leave the Conan O show once it was realized that he was SO much quicker and funnier than Conan that he could have carried that show by himself. In reality though they did have great chemistry. Oh well...

- DJDM

Roto & DJDM I did finally catch my first Andy Richter show last Sunday. It was really hysterical and I'm looking forward to more episodes.

Since the demise of the Conan and Andy coupling, my favorite nightly show is without a doubt "the Daily Show". Jon Stewart rules :thu:

I think the problem with Dave is now that he's basically an icon, nobody is going to come on the show and call him an asshole like Cher did back in the day. They are more likely to kiss his ass like Drew Barrymore. A lot of Dave's guests visibly didn't like him when he was on NBC and he really didn't care, which made it all the funnier.

There are many bands that appeared on Letterman that really went big after their appearance . I think Smash Mouth credits their success to the David Letterman show . Any other bands make it after Letterman ? Dano
www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

I think the Max Weinberg Seven is the best band on TV - they play the best tunes, rock them the hardest and look like their having the most fun. The keyboard player's Leslie is under the audience!

Did anyone catch Leno Wednesday night? Phantom Planet from LA did a rendition of Winter Wonderland - I don't know if their big out in Cali, but it was easily the best live music on TV of this year and my favorite new Christmas tune.

That same night, Conan had Dave Matthews Band - the keyboard player was playing a Hammond and a Roland board on top for piano. Fairly sterile performance from the whole band, but they did play a 2nd song which I'd never seen before on Conan, except maybe Springsteen.

But that cat Jimmy Vivino, while a skilled guitarist, is turning into the biggest hot-dog on TV since G.E.Smith while Max Weinberg is away.

Seeing any random half-dozen guitars from his collection any night is a bit showy, I think (sometimes I'd swear he is playing a different one when they return from the commercial than what he started the tune with :rolleyes: ) but what really gets me is that now he's singing...in his own fashion.

You guys remember the 2 drummers? Steve Jordan and that really young kid that played originally? What are they up to?

Anton Fig played with him forever after Jordan left. Last I saw Jordan was touring with James Taylor in 1998... He replaced Carlos Vega after Carlos committed suicide. They are both big session cats; Jordan played on Sheryl Crow's 2002 CD C'mon, C'mon, and he's played recently with Herbie Mann, BB King, and he played in the 9/11 Concert For New York City.

Anton Fig has played recently with Ace Frehley, Tony Bennett, Kiss, Warren Zevon...

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

Although still fun to watch, I thought the NBC shows were a lot better. They seemed funnier, more risque, and more spontaneous, like the Andy Kauffman show and lots of others.

I also thought the band sounded a lot better with Hiram Bullock, and Steve Jordan. I think the young drummer asked about in a previous posts was Simon Phillips?

Last I saw Jordan was touring with James Taylor in 1998... He replaced Carlos Vega after Carlos committed suicide. [QB]
WHAT?!!! Carlos Vega committed suicide????? Man what a tragic loss. I have a DVD with him on a Lee Ritenour/Dave Grusin disc. That guy was incredible. :(

Archived