Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FORUM CD: Rate "Spider's Boogie"

Dave Bryce

As many of you know, we are currently in the process of doing another CD compilation of original material submitted by members of this forum.

As with the last original compilation, the entries will be posted for review by all of the members of the forum whether or not they have contributed a piece. With that in mind, please check out "Spider\'s Boogie" (submitted by Gulliver), and tell us what you think!

If the artist of the piece would care to post any notes about the piece in this thread, they should feel free to do so.

Thanks for listening!

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, thanks guys!

This tune has quite a story...

I "invented" the main segment (most clearly heard at the very beginning of the song) approximately in 1999 while thoughtlessly improvising in a vein of free-jazz. (I remember being very depressed at that moment and I always tend to jam atonally when I feel depressed :freak::D ).

Anyway, I stumbled across this 7/8 chromatic riff and thought "huh, if I were Robert Fripp I would built some weird'n'cool construction around it"... Alas, I'm not. In fact I had absolutely no clue what to do with it back then but somehow managed to record it into the TS-10's internal sequencer using its ordinary piano patch. And completely forgot about it.

Then a year ago or so I stumbled across it again while revisiting my archives and suddenly - (bum!) bass part appeared from nowhere (along with the future tune's name) and the whole composition took shape within a day or two.

Finally the recording took place few months ago in my former bed-room. My good friend Raul Jaanson came in to play some guitar which got heavily deconstructed later by yours truly. :) Actually he (Raul) was surprised how I assembled his guitar licks and parts (because I used some of his "failed" guitar takes as well) though luckily for me - in a positive way.

BTW, Dave, I noticed there are no credits marked on the mp3 site regarding Spider's Boogie... :( Is it possible to add them over there? :love:

I am back.

Originally posted by Gulliver:

BTW, Dave, I noticed there are no credits marked on the mp3 site regarding Spider's Boogie... :( Is it possible to add them over there? :love:

Absolutely. Just type 'em exactly as you want them to appear and email them to me. I'll post them right away.

dB

Okay.

I would post it right here:

Music - SP Gulliver

Performed by Abracadabra

(SPG - keys, programming

Raul Jaanson - guitar)

Hope that's enough. (I think it should look similar to the credits for other submissions, more or less...)

Many thanks! :wave:

I am back.

Wait a minute though... I just checked the whole part of The Keyboard Corner on MP3.com and compared how the credits for the each song are provided over there.

So let it be like this:

Composed, arranged & recorded by SP Gulliver with the help of Raul Jaanson (guitar).

BTW, I tried to send you, Dave, a private message but failed miserably... :D

I am back.

Originally posted by Gulliver:

So let it be like this:

Composed, arranged & recorded by SP Gulliver with the help of Raul Jaanson (guitar).

Done.

BTW, my PM box is broken. If you wanna email me, do it at

davebryce9@aol.com

dB

Originally posted by Jazzman:

Dave, how far are you along with the compilation CD???

Still collecting submissions. I'm gonna try to have it sequenced and mastered by the end of the month, if possible.

I'm hoping that Steve J.'s schedule will permit him to do the art work for us again. If so, whenever that's ready, we'll get 'em pressed and hopefully have them back in time for the holidays.

dB

Dave do you still have all three mixes of my tune? I'm thinking the mix with the quieter piano is better because the track sounds cluttered otherwise, also the MiniMoog and Guitar are a bit louder. If you don't have it, I can either mail you a copy of the mix or put the wav file on my server for you to download.

Let me know if any of that will be a problem.

Dave I don't know how many submissions you have already.

If you would like, I have a CD that I just slapped together for some friends of mine to listen to. I mixed 9 songs in 4 hours just to get it down. I am currently building my studio so my gear is not together yet.

I would like to send you that CD( I would need it back since it is the only one I have put together)while the studio is down.

I let one of the people look at it and they schratched the heck out of it as you would see. Dave, just pick one that you think is worthy for this comp. I could get it to you in a couple of days. If so, just tell me what song you would like to hear, I'll write up the notes for it for all to view if this is the way everyone is doing it. How much is everyone pitching in $$??

The one that I did for the other comp CD is on there too(On Funk-O-Matic).

If your have enough of submissions I truly understand. I opologize to everyone by stepping in now.

Your bud from Michigan.........

Jazzman :cool:

Ok... This is the third submission I've listened to and I am just incredibly blown away. I feel like I'm in the presence of giants! Very professional giants, that is...

Is this done every year? I think I will have something next time.

"Bass isn't just for breakfast anymore..."

http://www.mp3.com/Addix_Metzatricity

Originally posted by Jazzman:

I would like to send you that CD( I would need it back since it is the only one I have put together)while the studio is down.

I let one of the people look at it and they schratched the heck out of it as you would see. Dave, just pick one that you think is worthy for this comp. I could get it to you in a couple of days. If so, just tell me what song you would like to hear, I'll write up the notes for it for all to view if this is the way everyone is doing it.

Yo, JM -

We'd be glad to have you on board. You need to pick the tune yourself, though - I 'd really rather not have that responsibility. I'd say don't use the one from the FATCO CD, but besides that I'm sure that you'll pick a good one. Also, I'd rather not risk you sending me a one-only CD, 'cause stuff gets lost in the mail sometimes. Can you make me a copy of the one tune you pick and send me that, please?

Send it in soon, though - submissions close week after next... :eek:

The required contribution can't be determined until I know if it's gonna be a single or double CD. I'll letcha know...

dB

Hello Gulliver,

I've been listening to your piece a few times over the last couple of days and I'm continually amazed at its energy and frenzied mood. Those strangely echoed chord progressions (like a minute in) sound really cool. I must compliment you on your brilliant ending; just to have that stray piano motif with that cool effect. Very audacious and you really pull it off. A truly well produced song!

Sweibel... thanks!

You didn't ask but hey... :)

Those echoed chords are the rhythmic patch called Stargaze. It came from Mr Rack's Urban Dance Project expansion card and was synchronized to an external MIDI clock (thus such echoish quality).

That piano riff at the very end was printed with a long reverb and later CoolEditPro's native phaser was applied just to the reverb's tale. During mixdown some slight (real time) processing was added with the help of my Zoom as well.

Thanks again for the listening! :wave:

I am back.

Oh good lord, where are you people hiding?! If this song doesn't attract some attention, the world is a very sad place.

Needless to say, I'm joining the ranks of those who like this one very much. Very... cool.

This keyboard solo has obviously been tampered with!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived