Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FORUM CD: Rate "Happy End"

Dave Bryce

As many of you know, we are currently in the process of doing another CD compilation of original material submitted by members of this forum.

As with the last original compilation, the entries will be posted for review by all of the members of the forum whether or not they have contributed a piece. With that in mind, please check out "Happy End" (submitted by Ian Dixon), and tell us what you think!

If the artist of the piece would care to post any notes about the piece in this thread, they should feel free to do so.

Thanks for listening!

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the comments.

it was my first attempt as Smooth Jazz, my stuff tends to sound more like Tony Banks/Genesis (not as good as Mr Banks by a long way!)

I used a Korg i3,Korg MS2000, and a DX11 with some drums from a Korg ER1.

The track was came from playing with a DX7 EP type sound.

check out my site for some other tracks

Thanks

Ian

BTW this is such a great place!

• 4 weeks later...

Oh yeah, that's the smooth one... :) Nice piece of music. Maybe a bit too safe on chord changes, and overall structure, but that's the "smooth jazz" is all about I suppose.

Hey, Ian, you mentioned that your stuff tends to be more in a Banks / Genesis style... Don't know yet how your other tunes sound but I surely felt some (slight) Tony Banks influence even in this one. Looking forward to visiting your site and catching your other works as well.

PS. Tony (Banks) is too one of my favorite musicians/keyboard players. :thu:

I am back.

Originally posted by Gulliver:

PS. Tony (Banks) is too one of my favorite musicians/keyboard players. :thu:

Tony is a great song writer and player, Island in the Darkness on Stricky Inc is one of my all time favorites

I hope to add some more tracks to my site soon

Ian

Ian:

I love Banks a lot too. I am so sorry I haven't listened to your tune (or any of the others either).Well, sorry for me that is. I am missing out. My connection is as slow as molasses. Can't wait to get the cd. :thu:

Cheers,

Jerry

I am Collins!! Trying to get some credit for Tonys work :)

The drum part came from playing with my Korg ER1 and I liked the pattern, It reminded me of Duke era.

The synths are Korg I3 which played the flute, guitar,pads and the piano parts and the live sounding drums.

The synth lead in the secord part was a DX11 and the analog sounds are from a Korg MS2000.

When I was recording it I have Genesis playing it in my head.

Glad you like it.

I wish there was more stuff like Tonys around

Ian

Originally posted by b_3guy:

Hey a real FM synth!

I love the harsh sound of the lead sound on the 2nd part of Train of Thought, with some nice delay it cuts though the mix so well.The DX11 can produce some great sounds, it just takes alot of time to come up with them!

The FM electric piano sound on Happy End is just so clean and straight out of the 80's!

Ian

Originally posted by the bleen:

[QB]Also ER-1 for the rhythm parts?

QB]

All the way though Train of Thought is the ER-1 and in the 2nd part of the track the live sounding drums are from my Korg i3 played live on the keyboard. I must admit to loving the 2 part song format with drum machine in the first part and live drums in the 2nd part a bit like Fading lights off We Can't Dance etc

Ian

Very Nice and smooth. Nothing wrong with that at all. I was wondering did you tweak the drum sounds in anyway?

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Originally posted by RobT:

Very Nice and smooth. Nothing wrong with that at all. I was wondering did you tweak the drum sounds in anyway?

On Happy End I had a drum patten from the

ER1 (you can here it on its own at the begining) and then some Korg I3 drums over the top of it.

As for the drum sounds they are the presets. I liked the way the two patterns sounded together.

Ian

Archived