Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are you ready for some FOOTBALL?!

Dave Bryce

A little more information. I am the Kentucky Rockers.

Maximum Number of Teams: 20

Maximum Players on a Team: 20

Maximum Moves: No maximum

Maximum Trades: No maximum

Scoring Type: Head-to-Head League

Waiver Time: 2 days

Last Trade Date: Friday, November 15

Trade Reject Time: 2 days

Playoffs: Week 15 and 16 (4 teams)

Bye Points: Yes

Starting Positions: QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, K, D, D, D, DL, DB

Statistical Categories (Offense): Passing Yards (50)

Passing Touchdowns (6)

Interceptions (-2)

Rushing Yards (20)

Rushing Touchdowns (6)

Reception Yards (20)

Reception Touchdowns (6)

Return Touchdowns (6)

2 Point Conversions (2)

Fumbles Lost (-2)

Statistical Categories (Kickers): Field Goals 0-19 Yards (3)

Field Goals 20-29 Yards (3)

Field Goals 30-39 Yards (3)

Field Goals 40-49 Yards (4)

Field Goals 50+ Yards (5)

Point After Attempt Made (1)

Statistical Categories (Defensive Players): Tackle Solo (0.5)

Tackle Assist (0.3)

Sack (3)

Interception (2)

Fumble Force (2)

Fumble Recovery (2)

Touchdown (6)

Safety (2)

Pass Defended (1)

Block Kick (2)

Fractional Points: No

Negative Points: Yes

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to be picky but I thought if there was an answer for this anywhere, it might just be here.

Why is this sport called Football?

The sport that really is Football and is for some reason called soccer in America came first. Its name also makes a lot more sense - it is played with feet and a ball - hence FOOTBALL.

The American sport was invented much later and the feet very rarely come into contact with the ball - so why the name? Baseball and Basketball make perfect sense, but then what about hockey? Is there a French thing I'm missing?

Sorry, just wondering. I'm actually looking forward to my first AMERICAN Football seson in America. Suppose I should be following the Eagles coz I'm in Philadelphia.

John, Flyer

Scotsman

John, my understanding is that American football evolved from what the rest of the world knows as football, and it retained the name "football" as it moved away from its origins.

I think that this process of change began in the late 1800s. American style college football was popular for most of the 20th Century, but it took professional football longer to catch on. Ive always heard that it was the televised overtime championship game between the New York Giants and the Baltimore Colts in 1958 in which the current American obsession with pro football really caught fire.

I don't know how the name "soccer" came into being. I'd hazard to guess that traditional football must have been later reintroduced in the United States and that a new name must have been needed in America in order to distinguish it from our football.

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Originally posted by flyscots:

The sport that really is Football and is for some reason called soccer in America came first. Its name also makes a lot more sense - it is played with feet and a ball - hence FOOTBALL.

Actually, John - I agree with you. The game we call soccer is much more appropriately named football.

Nonetheless, there ain't much that can be done about it.

My Dutch brother Pim says the ball is bee-hive shaped and that the players mostly run with it, so he calls it Runhive... :D

My advice - stop worrying about it, go to Rita's and have a nice Water Ice. They're great this time of year. And enjoy the NFL - it's a LOT of fun, and the Eagles should be a great team this season.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Originally posted by soapbox:

meccajay, thanks for the Hardknocks heads up. I enjoyed this week's installment a lot more. You were right, the show is picking up as the season picks up! :thu:

Cheerleader segments arent too bad either huh Soapbox?!! You know, the damn cheerleader camp workout is TWICE as intense as any football camp Ive ever been too. ;)

Also, some great hitting, and is it just me or are Quincy Carter's days numbered as the starting QB in Dallas. You can just see coach Campo's plan take shape...

TROLL . . . ish.

Also, some great hitting, and is it just me or are Quincy Carter's days numbered as the starting QB in Dallas. You can just see coach Campo's plan take shape...

I said the same things last night while watching the show. To be honest, I don't see Campo or Coslett really comfortable with any of their qb's. The play of their qb will determine if they are contenders or pretenders.

"This tastes like paste"

-RALPH WIGGUM

I really don't think its Campo or Coslett's choice. I think Jerry Jones makes the final decision, and from what I'm hearing on the sports talk show in N.Y. is that Jones loves Carter. He see's another Randall Cunningham. I think Dallas will live or die with Carter. As for Hardknocks, they should lose the cheerleaders part. By the way my J-E-T-S, JETS, JETS, JETS (sorry about that)looked good last night. Finally, enough about Shockey. Yeah, he looks fabulous, but the Giants have to many glaring holes. Starting at quarterback.

CP you could be right about Carter and the QB situation, I think the Cowboys will wait til Quincy starts playing bad, which is a given with the defense's in the NFC east, then they'll yank him, and you'll never see him again this year.

Shockey chat, well yes the Giants will stink pretty bad, but what the hell else are we gonna talk about?? The preseason is all about watching players...seeing if young players develop, and if traded players will fit in. Wouldn't you agree?

I know Im killing myself to get home tonight to watch Warrick Dunn and Micheal Vick play together...this town is buzzing with it.

TROLL . . . ish.

CP, I also agree with you that it is Jerry Jones choice who is at QB :thu: , matter of fact I know it is his choice. But if the coaches aren't comfortable with the QB, then they will be hesitant calling certain plays. You can't run Emmitt 30+ times a game anymore, he is too old. If the coaches are uncomfortable, it will trickle down to rest of the team, then down to their season. These coaches' jobs are on the line. Owners don't give you a number of years to develop a team anymore, you gotta win today.

"This tastes like paste"

-RALPH WIGGUM

Don't forget, Jerry is more than the owner (if that's possible), he's the general manager. And y'all are right, preseason is the time to talk about young players, and Shockey looks like the whole bag of goods. I just hope he stays healthy.

Seems like I've been asleep... is it time for another NFL pool? If so, I'm in!

(Before you start harrasing me: no, I haven't browsed the whole thread).

Last season was a blast, at the end it felt like I got the hang of it, kind of.

/Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Well, the Titans got off to a slow start against the Rams, and of course we didn't see much of a Kurt Warner vs. Steve McNair, first-string shootout, so I'm not sure what the beginning of the game proves. I understand that ex-Ram, Kevin Carter, who was out most of last year, was a shining star in the midst of confusion on both sides.

The second half, however, was v-e-r-y enlightening about both teams second and third string players. St. Louis has a great backup arm in their 2nd string QB. Accurate passer. The Titans have some very interesting offense players waiting in the wings. I don't want to see any first-stringers get injured, but if they do, I think Tennessee will have very good options to choose from.

How did everyone else's teams fare? (Oh, almost forgot. The Titans won by 1 point after a successful Ram drive, a successful onside kick, another successful drive, and a failed attempt at 2 points. (I don't know for sure, but I believe the Rams either missed a point after or scored 2 field goals early. Either way, they were short one point and 8 points after the Titans caught up in the third.)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Isn't ANYbody around here a BASEBALL fan???

Yes! (a person has to do something during hockey's off season :D )

Go Kings! err Dodgers.... ;)

Michael

Q:What do you call a truck with nothing in the bed,nothing on the hitch, and room for more than three people in the cab? A:"A car"....

Isn't ANYbody around here a BASEBALL fan???

C'mon, Lee... haven't you spent enough time watching the best pitching staff in baseball implode on arrival at the end of post season play? ;)

Maybe this'll be the year they rise above the rest. Either way, if we're not at Wrigley Field in Chicago, I have little use for baseball :D It's about throwing back a few (godawful) hotdogs and watching the vines grow on the outfield wall while the Cubbies often lose. Oh, well. :rolleyes:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

C'mon, Lee... haven't you spent enough time watching the best pitching staff in baseball implode on arrival at the end of post season play? ;)

Tsk, tsk. You obviously understand nothing of baseball.

Either way, if we're not at Wrigley Field in Chicago, I have little use for baseball :D It's about throwing back a few (godawful) hotdogs and watching the vines grow on the outfield wall while the Cubbies often lose. :rolleyes:
I on the other hand, can go to the ballpark on any given day and probably see a very well played game, and my team will probably win too.

The World Series is for the media. The regular season is for the real fans, and shows what the players are really made of. Baseball is like life, it's not an adrenalin rush, if you can survive 162 games and win more than lose, you've done somethng.

The World Series is for the media. The regular season is for the real fans, and shows what the players are really made of. Baseball is like life, it's not an adrenalin rush, if you can survive 162 games and win more than lose, you've done somethng.

Very well put. A baseball game is about spending some time outdoors, blending with the crowd, being with friends and relaxing. Not other sport has that "day at the park" feel. Maybe that is why minor league teams are doing so well.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Oh and DAMN, did anyone catch Dorsey Leven's highlights in that Eagles game? Player of the week? I think so!!

**prepare for an obviosly premature statement**

Dave, The Eagles are goin to the superbowl baby!

TROLL . . . ish.

Monday, August 12

Broncos to reevaluate Davis in three days

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ESPN.com news services

An MRI performed Sunday on Denver Broncos running back Terrell Davis did not reveal any tears in his left knee, but it did show further deterioration to the health of the joint, ESPN.com's John Clayton reported Monday.

Doctors are not recommending surgery for Davis, but his ailing left knee will be injected with cortisone and a lubricant, said his agent Neil Schwartz.

Schwartz said the Broncos will wait three days and reevaluate the knee to see if Davis is able to practice.

Davis had his knee drained twice last week, but he was prepared to play Saturday night's game against the Chicago Bears. During warm-ups, the knee gave him problems and he had to be scratched.

...Well Terrell, it's been a lot of fun watchin ya over the year(?) bro.....gotta say so long now!! Bye bye now Mr Steroid king

Buh bye!!

TROLL . . . ish.

Archived