Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are you ready for some FOOTBALL?!

Dave Bryce

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My pleasure. :)www.buccaneers.com has many more great pix of them.

I think Indy is going to be powerful; Dungy will turn the D around fast and is smart enough to leave well enough alone offensively; he is probably the least egotistical coach in the league. He was beloved here in Tampa, but the Bucs severely needed Gruden's butt-kicking to remotivate them. This could very well be the Bucs' year. They seem to have the Rams number, but SF is going to be good, and Green Bay is too.

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

Phil, I love Dungy. Seems like such a generally good guy and a good coach. The Bucs story is a bit of a sad one at this stage. A few years ago, they had that world class defense but just couldn't muster more than 17 points a game, even with some bonafide weapons on offense. I think part of the problem was/is that, despite their obvious talents, niether Allstot nor Dunn are legit 25 carries a game kinds of backs, and that's what you need more than anything else to play ground control/field position/put it in the hands of the defense ball. As a NY Giants fan, I've seen it work, you know. It's a big question why the Bucs didn't or haven't become that team. What do you Bucs fans think?
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Bruce Matthews finally retired. What a workhorse of a guy. Check this out:

* His 14 Pro Bowls, nine at guard and five at center, matched Merlin Olsen for most in NFL history. He was voted first-team All-Pro six times.

* Matthews blocked for four 1,000-yard rushers: Campbell, Mike Rozier, Gary Brown and Eddie George. He also paved the way for Charles White and Marcus Allen to win Heisman Trophies at USC.

* He appeared in every game in the 1990s, a feat accomplished only by fellow lineman Randall McDaniel of Minnesota.

* Titans coach Jeff Fisher, a teammate of Matthews' for two seasons at USC, estimated the lineman was in on more than 21,000 plays.

* Combined with brother Clay Matthews, who ranks on sixth in games played at 278, they established what might be an unbreakable record of 574 NFL games by brothers.

Stats from ESPN.com.

- Jeff

<>

Well Bucs fans no longer have to worry about that...problem cause Dunn is now in the Falcon's backfield with Mike Vick! Can't wait to see those swing out passes in the flat to Dunn, and the 2 of them operating full tilt in the same backfield! Should be some good football despite the fact that they won't win 8 games this year! The Bucs do look to be good this year on both sides of the ball so I think you guys maybe onto something.

Mathews is a rock. I thought he'd go for a straight 20 and tie Jackie Slater, but his brother Clay also played 19 years and it seems he doesn't want to top him. True gentleman and football great thru and thru!

Texan's....we'll let's just say they are going to be the whipping post of the AFC for a minute or 2, but hey, they all start that way...Hope my Titan's can take advantage of a team that have literally NO gel-time.

TROLL . . . ish.

The 49ers start training camp next week in Stockton CA. I think the NFC West is going to be a great division with the additions of Seattle and Arizona. I think the 49ers have made small steps in closing the ground on our (recent) nemsis St. Louis.

St. Louis Rams - Didn't mess too much with a winning roster. Notable changes: lost WR Az Hakim, LB London Fletcher, CB Jacoby Shepherd and OTs Ryan Tucker and Rod Jones to free agency or the expansion draft. Hakim was replaced with Terrence Wilkens wich is pretty much a push, and Fletcher was replaced with Jamie Duncan (which has to be considered a down grade). This leaves the the Rams starting last years third string LT (John St. Clair) with no notable backup. The mostly young defense will improve with another year's experience. Question: how much longer can 36 year old Aeneas Williams excel at CB? The Rams resigned free agents Leonard Little and Ricky Proehl. Their drafting strategy baffles me. I don't see how they improved the team in the draft, but then it is pretty hard to improve on the 2001 Rams without actually winning the SB.

The 49ers biggest moves were to hang on to 3 of their 4 star free agents. The resiging of C Jeremy Newberry, FB Fred Beasley and RB Garrison Hearst secured a strong running game for the foreseable future. They lost former ProBowl SS Lance Schulters to free agency, but acquired Tony Parish from the Bears who is pretty much identical to Schulters. They also lost backup LB Terry Killens to the Broncos and Guard Ray Brown and TE Greg Clark were released. Acquisitions of DT Sean Morin (Rams), OG Ron Stone (Giants), DE Jim Flanigan (Packers) more than make up for these losses. The 49ers drafted CB Mike Rumph to address their biggest defensive weakness, the lack of solid nickel coverage to match up against multiple wide receiver sets of the Rams. The 49ers also drafted LB Saleem Rasheed for depth and kicker Jeff Chandler to challenge Jose Cortez whose kicking tailed off late last year. Another year of experience will also help the 49ers young defense, especially players such as Andre Carter and Julian Peterson.

Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

I can't wait to see how some of these rookies will fair in their 1st year. Who do ya'll think will make the biggest impact for the team?...sorry for the double post :o

"This tastes like paste"

-RALPH WIGGUM

Originally posted by R. Wiggum:

I can't wait to see how some of these rookies will fair in their 1st year. Who do ya'll think will make the biggest impact for the team?

Count on T.J. Duckett being a force in the backfield for the Falcons, he won't be noticed a whole lot because of the O-line problems, but he'll be extremly valued by Vick and Dunn as a blocker, and as a recieving threat out of the backfield. He's got some skills, and could pan out to be in the Bettis mold before his 3rd year...
TROLL . . . ish.

Though they are rivals in our division, I have to give props to Michael Vick. The man is SCARY in his ability, and even more in his POTENTIAL.

I truly think he will redefine the role of the QB in the NFL over the next 3 years.

I was sorry to see Warrick Dunn go...

Go Bucs!

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

Eagles snap up Kirkland

Courtesy of Philadelphia Eagles public relations

PHILADELPHIA (July 17, 2002) -- The Philadelphia Eagles announced they have signed veteran linebacker Levon Kirkland to a one-year contract. As is club policy, financial terms of the deal were undisclosed.

Ahh, can't you just taste it Philly fans?!!

TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by CP:

All together now:

J-E-T-S! JETS, JETS, JETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not another Jets fan :mad: I can't stand the Jets...can't talk cause you guys had our (Dolphins) number since I don't know when :( ,...besides winning a Super Bowl the next best thing will be beating the Jets ;)

"This tastes like paste"

-RALPH WIGGUM

Originally posted by R. Wiggum:

Originally posted by CP:

All together now:

J-E-T-S! JETS, JETS, JETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not another Jets fan :mad: I can't stand the Jets...can't talk cause you guys had our (Dolphins) number since I don't know when :( ,...besides winning a Super Bowl the next best thing will be beating the Jets ;)
Jets won't have it too easy, you Dolphin guys have Ricky now, and a good running game is just what that defense needed. . . time to rest!
TROLL . . . ish.

I'm a long time Dallas fan (ok you guys can all kick me :) )...sorry I was a kid at the wrong time I guess ;)

I agree with Mecca and Magpel...Dallas might have a winning season this year...might even do better than that.

As usual (since LA lost its team) I'll be rooting for the Raiders first.

49'ers will be a disappointment.

Chicago will show they're no fluke.

Damn I can't wait for this season to start :bor:

Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc:

As usual (since LA lost its team) I'll be rooting for the Raiders first.

The only thing disappointing about the 49ers for me is that they waited to suck until after the Rams left LA!

... No, I'm not bitter about being abandoned by the Rams. :mad::(:D

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc:

I'm a long time Dallas fan (ok you guys can all kick me :) )...sorry I was a kid at the wrong time I guess ;)

I agree with Mecca and Magpel...Dallas might have a winning season this year...might even do better than that.

I had no idea you were a Cowboy fan. That makes you a fervent supporter of the 2 teams I hate the most in all sports. I suppose I'd hate you if you weren't such a nice guy. ;)

Say, as we speak, Ernie Els is ripping up the British Open. -7 for the day after 8 holes! Tiger's making a move too. Looks like a great weekend if you like following golf (I only follow the majors).

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I'm a Dallas fan too, and I might just end up a Texan fan as well (though I certainly wasn't an Oiler's fan).

Seems like there are two types of football fans - those who love the Cowboys, and those who love to hate them. Growing up, I was always rooting for the Cowboys to win - and my sister was rooting for whoever was playing against them!

I had no idea you were a Cowboy fan. That makes you a fervent supporter of the 2 teams I hate the most in all sports. I suppose I'd hate you if you weren't such a nice guy.
haha...yeah I know...I was saving that one for football season...how difficult will it be for you if Dallas has a miracle season this year?

:D

hehehe...I know...I can say stupid shit like that before pre-season. ;)

If by disappointment you mean that they might not repeat last year's record of 12-4, you might be right. The 49ers won a lot of close games last year. But I can think of several reasons why this years team might be even better.

1. They returned all of their starters from last year except for SS Lance Schulters and OG Ray Brown who were more than adequately replaced with Tony Parrish and Ron Stone. IMO this is an upgrade at both positions.

2. They drafted to address their biggest defensive weakness. Mike Rumph will give us a big physical DB to improve depth and coverage against 3 and 4 WR sets which tore us up last year. Note 2 of our 4 losses (Rams and Dallas) CB Ahmed Plummer was injured. Lack of depth at CB really hurt us last year.

3. Experience - so many of our defensive starters last year were 1st or 2nd year players (DE Andre Carter, DE John Engelberger, LB Julian Peterson, LB Jeff Ulbrich, LB Jamie Winborn, CB Jason Webster, CB Ahmed Plummer). The only vetrans (3 years or more) were DT Bryant Young, LB Derek Smith, SS Lance Schulters, FS Zack Bronsen and DT Dana Stubblefield. We also had rookies for depth at most positions except DT, SS and FS.

4. Jeff Garcia - he played with a knee injury most of last year which really limited his scrambling ability. If he can stay healthy this year it adds another dimension to our offense.

5. Our running attack anchored by Garrison Hearst, Kevin Barlow and Fred Beasley looks to be awesome again this year.

6. Terrell Owens - best WR in the game.

Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday, Aug. 3

American Bowl, Osaka, Japan

Washington vs. San Francisco, 10:00 p.m.

Niners 31, Skins 17

Monday, Aug. 5

Pro Football Hall of Fame Game, Canton, Ohio

Houston vs. N.Y. Giants, 8:00 p.m.

Giants 17, Texans 13

Yeah, I know - it's preseason. I don't care. It's football time! :thu::D:cool:

dB

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Three questions:

1) Why is the "American Bowl" in Japan? (And why don't we get a "Japan Bowl?")

2) Why aren't the Texans in Dallas? (Yeah, I know ... that's like so forty years ago!)

3) Why did Dave Bryce double the dB level on the post above? (Because football, even preseason football, is exciting!)

:D;)

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Archived