Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NBA PLAYOFFS!

Originally posted by Magpel:

Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc:

Shaq ruined the game, folks.

If the Refs called the game by the rules Shaq would put Wilt's numbers to shame...he'd score 150 in a game.

Pshaw!

Argh, you were doing all right till you said this, Steve. That's some West coast propaganda right there. Poor Shaq. The fact is he presents a bedeviling challenge to rules and rule interpetation. To my mind, he's repeatedly guilty of uncalled charges (every he lowers his shoulder and drives). To others', he's the victim of myriad uncalled fouls. If I were a Lakers fan, I'd happily call it a wash and keep my mouth shut.

I mean, that new "no charge zone" in the paint might as well be called the Shaq Exception.

HAHA...ok, I'll admit I'm biased...but I've watched a lot of Lakers basketball...remember I live here...I go to 5-10 games a year...I see about 65-70 of the 82 Laker games every year on TV. There's a lot of stuff going on in the paint...defenders falling backwards (flopping), etc.

Shaq doesn't lower his shoulder and drive into players that often really when you look at all of the possessions he gets the ball. He probably attempts to run people over about 10% of the time...probably less. He gets slapped with Charging calls more than 50% of that 10% I think...not exact numbers but a rough guesstimate from my experience watching him.

What I do see Shaq do is outplay every center that tries to guard him...and they ALL grab his arms, shoulders and head violently in an effort to stop him.

So, I'd say we're both right here, we just differ on how we weigh the factors...FACT is if the rules were enforced Shaq would be truly, completely unstoppable...and I'm including the charging rule.

Help me out here SteadyB :D

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't know you went to that many games. That's so cool. Do you and Steadyb hang out by the beer concession, or sneak out to blow a doobie at halftime?

Next time you go, please tell Dyan Canon to GIVE IT UP!! Did you see that last series she was in? "Sisters," I think it was called (I only saw it 'cause a friend of mine played the bartender). Gawd, there comes a point when nothing is more hideous and heinous than an older person clawing to stay young. But you get a lot of that out there...Here, we just accept our colo-rectal cancers and get on with things.

Yeah, Shaq's good. Never said otherwise, though may have implied it. I don't enjoy watching him play the way I did Hakeem, though.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I didn't know you went to that many games.
Damn...I knew I should have made that more clear, I just edited my earlier post.. :)

No, I don't actually go to 75 games a year...I'm not rich and not that tight with my boss :)

I go to about 5-10 games a year...I watch the other 65-70 at home on TV. :rolleyes:

I do get to sit in one of the Suites with the rich people though :thu:

Gawd, there comes a point when nothing is more hideous and heinous than an older person clawing to stay young. But you get a lot of that out there...Here, we just accept our colo-rectal cancers and get on with things.
:) I see more Frankenstein experiments than I'd like to that's for sure.

Give it up Mag.

Shaq is the quickest, most agile, and best passing center in the league. Unfortunately, you don't get to see it as much as you should because there's usually 2 or 3 guys hanging on him, hacking him, and flopping around him. So occasionally he needs to lean into them or shake them off like the bugs that they are.

You and all the other Shaq/Kobe/Laker haters out there are just jealous because in addition to all his other skills, he's BIG. Instead of crying about it, tell the rest of the wannabe centers and forwards in the league to spend a little more time in the weight room.

Find any other center in the league as big as Shaq, and they can't touch his agility, quickness, or passing. And the one's who can don't have his size and strength. He has both...too bad for everyone else.

If he got all the calls he was due, teams would have to stop fouling him on EVERY play, and like Steve said, he would get 150.

The Lakers have the best players, and NOT the highest paid players.

Too bad for Sac they don't give any prizes for the regular season.

The Lakers may have to not win a title after 3 or 4 in a row just so the league doesn't try to disband them.

Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc:

:(

man, that sucks.

Indeed. Heard that on the radio on the drive home today. Beyond being a truly great player, Tim seems like a genuinely nice and unpretentious guy. I feel for him.

Sorry to hear about Tim Duncan's dad. I've been there.

As for the deep pocket comments. I guess I should have also added:

1) A smart Director of Player Personnel.

2) An owner who actually wants to win and

a good relationship between the owner and

fans. Here in Charlotte it seems as though

the locals can't stand the owners. They are

staying away from the playoff games in droves.

I am really NOT used to that. I know that the

Palace of Auburn Hills will be sold out as long

as the Pistons are in the playoff. The Hive here

in Charlotte will probably be at 60%-70% capacity. Sad to say. I wish somebody with ties to

the community would buy them and keep them here.

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Hehe. You funny, Mr. b. There's ZERO point in arguing about Shaq's efficacy. He's the best or at least most "impactful" player in the game right now. I just don't like watching him. Didn't when he was a LSU Tiger or a Magic, less now that he's a Laker. Agility *for a man that size*? Absolutely, amazingly so. Agility compared to, um, Hakeem in his prime? David Robinson in his prime? Don't think so. But What he brings to the table, no one can match. There's no doubt about that. And I do give him credit for developing his game over the years. Whoppers and Nestle Crunch. The new brain food.

Originally posted by steadyb:

And try not to sound SO jealous. It's just sports.

oh my god- you've got to be kidding!

maybe you can't tell, but anyone who's read your laker posts (surely half of your 1400 here) can tell that it's more than "just sports" to you. that team is directly connected to your ego.

at least it's a good team. :wave:

Originally posted by wager47:

anyone who's read your laker posts (surely half of your 1400 here) can tell that it's more than "just sports" to you.

Actually, anyone who knows me personally, including our moderator, Dave, knows that I really enjoy showing how simple it is to get you and others like you so riled up over a basketball team. Magpel and Mecca seem to get the fun we're having here, but you seem genuinely upset by it. (please stand by for inevitable denial)

With you it's even to the point that you don't dare admit which team you like for fear of being made "sport" of.

And I think it's more like 1/5 of my posts that are Laker related. But then again, perhaps you went back and counted.

Come now, gentlemen, all in good fun, even when the fun gets a little mean-ish.

Alas, in spite of his Rambis obsession, Mr B. is not a "loser." He's a valued forum member, as is Mr. Wager, so let's not let this escalate until someone gets riled enough to declare something really silly, e.g., "I *am* the music."

(Anyone get that reference? tee hee.)

I wonder what Mr. LeBlanc wrote and then reconsidered.

Rest assured Mag...I only edit to correct UBB code mistakes or grammer that is so bad my point is unreadable.

I've been doing the edits a lot lately because my posts have been in haste...pretty busy at work lately.

Feel free to call me on any edit I make...I'm kinda sensitive about that...I hate it when people edit out what they posted...it's disrespectful to the community I think.

I only edited my last post because one of the smilies wasn't showing up.

If I ever edit text other than simple punctuation I make it known.

Dave,

Now I'm starting to get worried.

Please note Wager's ip address, just in case he turns out to be a serial killer. (then again, if he is, maybe Cereal should be worried too :eek: )

Yeah, Shaq's good. Never said otherwise, though may have implied it. I don't enjoy watching him play the way I did Hakeem, though.

The Dream...

Never before has any one man dominated and disected a bully like the way Dream did Shag....classic!!

I do wish Tim Duncan would watch a ton of film on Hakeem to learn how this is done! Normally he's too busy forgetting who he is and what he's about when he plays Shaq.

My true hope is that Nowitski studies the 'Dream' films and puts his own anti-Shaq package together in the next 2-3 years. No his moves wont look like Dream's but I do think we'll be in for something completely new and exciting!!

TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by meccajay:

Never before has any one man dominated and disected a bully like the way Dream did Shag....classic!!

I do wish Tim Duncan would watch a ton of film on Hakeem to learn how this is done! Normally he's too busy forgetting who he is and what he's about when he plays Shaq.

My true hope is that Nowitski studies the 'Dream' films and puts his own anti-Shaq package together in the next 2-3 years. No his moves wont look like Dream's but I do think we'll be in for something completely new and exciting!!

True, but Shaq's has a lot more in his bag of tricks now than he did back then.

Plus now he has Horry too. (and Kobe, and Fisher...)

Hornets just advanced. Would that be a story if they make it to the finals?

I was hoping they would move to Louisville but alas, they chose another city. Oh well, some day Kentucky will get another team. Someday. The Hornets would have been nice because there are a few Kentucky players on the team. Hmmmmm. I wonder if the Celts?.....

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

the Nets SUCKED. Makes you wonder about their character. As Van Gundy said on the broadcast, you never want to find yourselfin a final game against Reggie Miller in the Metropolitan area.

Now the Spurs have to play tonight in Seattle without Duncan and Robinson and Ferry. The rest of the team would have to play the most inspired game of their careers to pull one out tonight. It's gonna be very tough.

So, is the big S.O. going to Memphis when his LA contract expires? He was very supportive of Jerry West a few weeks ago when questioned about West's possible move. He basically said the Laker ownership was making a big mistake by not doing everything possible to keep West around. In fact, a lot of players are speaking highly of West now. It will be interresting to see how well he does building a team in a small market.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by Rabid:

So, is the big SO going to Memphis when is LA contract expires? He was very supportive of Jerry West a few weeks ago when questioned about West's possible move. He basically said the Laker ownership was making a big mistake by not doing everything possible to keep West around. In fact, a lot of players are speaking highly of West now. It will be interresting to see how well he does building a team in a small market.

Robert

If any lakers make their way to Memphis...I think it more likely you'll see Fox, Horry, Fisher and a very remote possibility of Kobe...I doubt Shaq's going anywhere.

Is not Baron Davis THE MAN in the east? Wow.

Yes he is. But I suspect the folks from Philly and New Jersey migh have something to say about that!

RobT

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Originally posted by RobT:

Is not Baron Davis THE MAN in the east? Wow.

Yes he is. But I suspect the folks from Philly and New Jersey migh have something to say about that!

RobT

and Boston

I'll be expecting a lot from Paul Pierce tonight...I don't think he'll disappoint.

Archived