Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Piano Solo?

Yu

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love Emerson, Lake, and Palmer's Karn Evil 9 2nd Impression. It's a jazz-fusion kick-ass piece that's an absolute BEAR to play, but an amazing piece of music.
Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Originally posted by Rabid:

Imperial Strut from the first Yellowjackets album.

I always wonder if he recorded both hands on the same take.

Robert

Hey Rabid, I don't know the answer to your question, but I've always thought that the synth on the Tortoise and the Hare (off of Politics) was sequenced. And, actually, it may be. However, if you hear the YJ's rendition of that tune on their Mint Jam album (2001 - live and the Mint), you will not believe your ears. Ferrante plays the entire synth + other keyboard parts exclusively on the PIANO. Rather ridiculous, if you ask me.

Albert

Albert

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

Robert

I'm sure he did...there are little nuances you can hear that seem to make it obvious...at least that's the way I hear it. Besides that, I met Russell Ferrante a couple of times at Dick Grove School of Music...I never asked him specifically if he played both parts together on the album but I did ask him to play it for me, he did and it blew me away.

Originally posted by Yu:

Whether it be pop/rock/jazz WUTEVER, what in your opinion is the best piano solo? I don't think funky little dance riffs and BSB-like fills count :)

Cheers,

BIC

Yu

Does it have to have been recorded?

If not, I 'd have to let Janice Scroggins and Henry Butler fight over it.

Janice is a local piano godess here in Portland who should be better known, especially for her Gospel/Jazz playing). Henry is of course well known and equally wonderful. Wish I could play like them.

Sorry, I can't narrow it down to just one! :)

Here's a few of my faves;

-Tom Shuman's solo on "Breakfast At Igor's" on Spyro Gyra's "Road Scholars" CD.

-Billy Powell's on "I Know A Little" by Lynyrd Skynyrd. (no, really! :D ) Brief, but cool!

-Almost any Bruce Hornsby piano solo.

Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc:

Bruce Hornsby on Bonnie Raitt's tune "I Can't Make You Love Me"

Super simple but it just doesn't get any better.

IMO, that's one of the best played ballads by anyone on any instrument. I agree, absolutely flawless.

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

I too agree with the Billy Powell piano solo on "I Know a Little"---along with anything else Powell played, exepting "Freebird" which makes me have high school flashbacks.

Others: Billy Joel's "Stilletto"

"With the help of God and true friends I've come to realize, I still have two strong legs and even wings to fly" Gregg Allman from "Ain't Wastin Time No More"

I too agree with the Billy Powell piano solo on "I Know a Little"---along with anything else Powell played, excepting "Freebird" which makes me have high school flashbacks.

Others:

Billy Joel's on "Stilletto"

Chuck Leavell's on "Jessica" with the ABB

Keith Emerson on "Benny the Bouncer'? on Brain Salad

Surgery

The piano opening solo part on Jethro

Tull's "Locomotive Breath"--don't know the player

Still thinking......

BD

"With the help of God and true friends I've come to realize, I still have two strong legs and even wings to fly" Gregg Allman from "Ain't Wastin Time No More"

Hi All,

Bruce Hornsby on "I can't make you love me" is my vote too. All the more amazing when you consider how it was recorded.

According to Ed Cherney, Bruce turned up, Bonnie stood next to him and provided guide vocals so he could get a handle on the track. He played -she sang...most of it ended up on the finished track.......Gulp.

Best Regards

Alan.

Originally posted by keygod:

Kenny kirklands solo on the live version of "bring on the night"by sting.He melts crazy bebop lines over stings Phat ass groove,you got hear it!

Yes!!!! Especially for the context, I think this is masterful. Kudos to Sting for bringing people in to hear "Roxanne", and handing them Kenny's bowel-emptying solo on "When the World"!

Also, I think I've been denying my love for that Bruce Hornsby solo for too long. I will submit. It turns me into jelly.

Steve

If wishes were omelettes we would all be filled with cheese, AND HAM.

Originally posted by GeorgeG3:

My vote for best piano solo: Mike Garson - the piano solo on David Bowie's Aladdin Sane - very wild and creative - especially for pop/rock music circa 1973!

Real Media - Mike Garson/David Bowie - Aladdin Sane

Oh yeah, Mike Garson has been one of my favorite piano players for a long time. He's still doing some incredible stuff...I love his solos on David Bowie's "Earthling" recorded in 1997. The intro to "Time" (also from Aladdin Sane) is another one of my all-time Rock piano parts.

Lyle Mays is incredible - His solo on the song "First Circle" always stands out in my mind.

Another nod to Hornsby as well, "I can't Make You Love Me" is really outstanding.

Woof!

My favorites:

Art Tatum: Tiger Rag. (quite about everything by him!

)

Oscar Peterson: A little Jazz Exercise, All the things you are (all solo piano versions), again everything else...

Keith Jarrett: Sun Bear Concerts, live in Japan, Disk 1-I and Disc 2-II. The latter is maybe one of the greatest moments in improvising history. The former, simply beautiful. Also, Intro to Stella by Starlight (standards in Norway), All the things you are (Tribute), Autumn Leaves (Blue Note set). Also, solos on "Belonging" etc. He is one of the very few people who's free jazz playing I totally love.

Clare Fischer: Yesterdays

Chick Corea: Eternal child, many more...

Many more, but these come to mind right away...

• 2 years later...

Robert

Well, I guess so. I have found a live version of the tune on www.yellowjackets.nl and he pulls it off. Un-be-lie-va-ble.

Listen to Yellowjackets' Tortoise And The Hare (live version on their Mint Jam CD) and you can hear how astonishingly well this man plays!

Bruce Hornsby's "Here Come the Noisemakers" - a kickin' live album. Pretty much the whole album is a piano solo interspersed with lyrics. The intro to "The Way It Is" is fantastic.

-b

"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants."

-A. Whitney Brown

George Shearing - (My Ship CD) playing Greensleeves. I can be reduced to tears listening to that track.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

*Black Cow - Steely Dan (Played by Victor Feldman)

*Sign in Stranger - Steely Dan (played by Paul Griffin)

Are 2 of my favorite solos. Nice and tasty. I'm stuck in the land of Dandom right now. Everytime I listen to their stuff I find something new that floors me.

Archived