Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Piano Solo?

Yu

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by shniggens:

1.) The Cadenza on Rach's Piano Concerto #3 !!!!

Edit: 1st movement.

-or-

cool:

I like that one a lot, especially the one done by Martha Argerich live.

While we're on classical: I like a lot of Hamelin's live and not live versions of Alkan like: Trois Grande Etudes, Concerto for Solo Piano, Grand Sonata.

Also Chopin Ballade #4

others:

I also like Bill Powell "call me the breeze"

Michel Camilo "Caribe" both trio and the one with horns.

Lot's of Dr. John solo piano/vocal tunes, Mac's Boogie, Boxcar Boogie, Pinetop...

"This Masquerade" by George Benson, don't know the pianist (Leon Russell?) "Listen Here", Brian Auger - his organ solo on the VERY SAME SONG is also one of my favorites - what a monster!
"He who draws the most amps wins"

Yes he did - Russell is known around LA as having two right hands!

:-)

regards,

Jerry

Originally posted by Rabid:

[qb]Imperial Strut from the first Yellowjackets album.

I always wonder if he recorded both hands on the same take.

His name was Jorge Dalto. He passed away a number of years ago - a great player.

regards,

Jerry

Originally posted by hammondhack:

"This Masquerade" by George Benson, don't know the pianist (Leon Russell?) "Listen Here", Brian Auger - his organ solo on the VERY SAME SONG is also one of my favorites - what a monster!

Gah! Where to begin?

- I agree with all the Bruce Hornsby calls. The coda of "Sad Moon," and his workout from "King of the Hill" on Spirit Trail are up there.

- Keith Jarrett - Whisper Not. The whole album, but especially "Sandu" and "What Is This Thing Called Love?" Any of his trio stuff, really. Also "The Windup" (Belonging).

- Herbie on "Dolphin Dance," "Kuru/Speak Like A Child," and so many others.

- Phineas Newborn Jr. on "Green Dolphin Street" from Harlem Blues (w/ Ray Brown and the late Elvin).

- Brad Mehldau on "Get Happy" (Anything Goes).

- Paul Bley on "Turnaround" (Charlie Haden's Montreal Tapes).

- Chick on "Matrix"

And many many many others.

David

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

wow! some serious players AND some serious solos mentioned here.

professor longhair

billy payne

kenny kirkland

henry butler

art tatum

even hornsby.....that bonnie raitt solo was by FAR the coolest thing he ever did.....

but my fave of ALL time is the extended intro to "makin' whoopee" by the man himself, brother ray.

i cannot with any conscience mention anything by yellowjackets amongst this crowd.

dexternyc :cool:

Originally posted by GeorgeG3:

My vote for best piano solo: Mike Garson - the piano solo on David Bowie's Aladdin Sane - very wild and creative - especially for pop/rock music circa 1973!

OMIGAWD YES!!!!!!!!!!

There are many but I also really like Bruce Hornsby on I Can't Make You Love Me. Also, the piano solo by whoever (I forget his name)played on Eric Clapton's (Derek and the Dominos) original Layla.
Yamis

Here's another one:

Flora Purim's solo piano on "Samba de Flora". Music by (her husband?) Airto Moreira.

I fully agree with Michel Camillo, Billy Powell (THAT "I know a little" solo, a rock 'n' roll standard and an icon from our school years, no matter what country we're from) and Mike Garson (how about "Lady grinning soul" full chords?)

Regards

Yannis

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

George Shearing - (My Ship CD) playing Greensleeves. I can be reduced to tears listening to that track.

I have heard so many versions of Greensleeves and I must admit that Shearing' and Guaraldi's are the consumate interpretations for jazz piano.

I always liked watching Eubie Blake on Wonderama when I was a kid.

Piano solo on "Ruby Baby" from Donald Fagan's Nightfly - I think it was by Greg Phillinganes, and my latest favorite, the one on "Your Good Thing (Is About to End)" from Boz Scagg's Come On Home album - I don't have the cd handy so not sure who played it.

Here for the gear.

I can't believe I didn't partecipate in this thread the first time! :)

In no particular order:

Keith Jarrett: "Facing You"

Art Tatum: any volume of "Solo Masterworks"

Cecil Taylor: "Silent Tongues"

Chick Corea: "Now He Sings, Now He Sobs"

Dr. John: "Night Tripper"

Keith Emerson: "The Endless Enigma" from "Trilogy"

Maurizio Pollini: "Chopin Etudes"

Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli: "Debussy Preludes"

Bill Evans: "The Village Vanguard Sessions"

Wilhelm Backhaus : Beethoven Sonatas

etc. etc.

The (endless) list goes on:

Oscar Peterson - "Give me the simple life" from the solo album

Keith Emerson - "Three Fates" pipe organ and acoustic piano solos, from ELP's first album

More to come .....

So many great piano solos out there. Hornsby's work on Spirit Trail album, after he had woodshedded for a year and developed his L/R independence really grabbed my attention though. Great stuff.

Some of my favorites:

Artie Butler's playing on Joe Cockers "Feelin' Allright", a classic.

Keith Emerson's piano intro on "Trilogy"

Nicky Hopkins "Spindrifter"

Red Garland Trio's "C Jam Blues"

Hampton Hawes "My Romance"

Jaki Byard "Bess, You Is My Women/It Ain't Necessarily So"

Ray Bryant "After Hours"

Jon Weber "Jazz Wagon" album

Keith Jarrett "Memories of Tomorrow" Part II C The Koln Concert

George Winston "Ballads and Blues" album

George Winston "Hummingbird" from Summer album

• 3 weeks later...

Wow... so much good stuff.

My pop/rock favorite solos in no particular order, AND omitting those already mentioned:

Bruce Hornsby - "The Way It Is", and his interpretation of Elton John's "Madman Across The Water" (from the "Two Rooms" tribute album)

Elton John - "Bennie and The Jets" (not terribly difficult, I just happen to love it)

Billy Joel - intro to "Prelude/Angry Young Man"

Joe Jackson - "Cancer"

Among those already mentioned-

"Layla" and "Locomotive Breath"

And one on electric piano-

Ray Manzarek, "Riders On The Storm"

-Mike

Originally posted by pete psingpy:

I also like Bill Powell "call me the breeze"

I knew someone would beat me to the punch on this one. It ain't too cerebral or anything, but man he smokes those ivories!!! :D:thu:

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Amazing to see Jorge Dalto's name come up in the posting above by Jerry. Is this the same person as George Dalto?

A year or two ago, I picked up one of the more obscure Gato Barbieri releases (from back when he was playing in a very European avant-garde style, but moving into world music) and on a few tracks is an alternate pianist sitting in...George Dalto. I was awe struck - the guy is just phenomenal. Since then, I've always wondered why he wasn't better known. It is sad to learn he has passed on (assuming we are talking of the same person) but encouraging to know this list is full of folks with broad tastes and appreciation.

Chaso

Wow! Great topic, I don´t know where to begin... Ok, in no particular order;

Chick Corea - Matrix (Now He Sings, Now He Sobs)

Bill Evans - The Brilliant, live album recorded just a month before his passing. Every single tune here holds piano playing that´s nothing short of - brilliant. Marc Johnson and Joe LaBarbera on bass and drums.

Gregg Phillinganes - Ruby Baby, from Fagen´s "The Nightfly". The tasty piano solo.

Lyle Mays - Close To Home, from his self-entitled solo album. Beautiful piano solo over Lyle Mays-patented synths...

Garth Hudson´s beautiful embellishments on "The Weight" on The Band´s "Rock of Ages" live CD. It´s not a solo per se, but I think it qualifies; he plays outstanding fills throughout the whole tune.

Bruce Hornsby´s playing on "I can´t make you love me" on Bonnie Raitt´s live DVD, fantastic!

Matt Rollins - "That´s right, you´re not from Texas", on Lyle Lovett´s "Live in Texas". Country-bop at its best!

Keith Jarrett - "Never Let Me Go", from "Tokyo '96". The best instrumental interpretation I´ve heard of that tune.

Herbie Hancock - "Love is stronger than pride", from "The New Standard".

Joe Zawinul burning on "Havona".

George Shearing - "Anyone can whistle / a tune for humming" from the Mel Tormé / George Shearing live album "A Vintage Year"

Dave Kikoski on "Like This", from Roy Haynes' "Te-Vou"

Jim Beard - "Camieff", from "Song Of The Sun" always puts a smile on my face.

McCoy Tyner - absolutely BURNING on the Coltrane "Live at Birdland" album, espescially on "Afro Blue". His playing on "Ballads" includes too many examples to list, everything he does on that disc is simply out of this world!

/J :D nas

Wow, suddenly a flurry of some of my all-time favorite piano stuff has appeared in the last few posts:

Art Tatum - "Cherokee" - 'nuff said!

Keith Jarrett - "Facing You" - Isn't it just sickening that Keith was only in his mid 20's when he made that recording!!!

George Shearing - "My Ship" - everything on this record is magical! In addition to Greensleeves, I love the title track, and his rendition of April In Paris is stunning.

Oscar Peterson - "A Little Jazz Excercise", off of the "Tracks" record. For brutal virtuosity, it doesn't get any better than this.

Lyle Mayes - "First Circle" - I LOVE that solo! On the flip side of the same record, check out his work on "End of the Game" and "Tell It All" - wonderful stuff.

Claire Fischer - Check out his Rhodes work in "On Green Dolphin Street" as performed by The Singers Unlimited. I love nearly everything by Claire Fischer.

Chopin - Ballad #4 in F minor - In my opinion, the most gorgeous piece of music ever composed by anyone for any instrument!!

Kirk

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Big Number One (with a BULLET):

Hilton Ruiz in "Giant Steps" - from Rahsaan Roland Kirk's "Return of the 5,000 Pound Man"

Also partial to:

Bill Evans' "Someday My Prince Will Come" from his Montreux album;

Les McCann's "Compared to What" from HIS Montreux album (with Eddie Harris, of course);

almost anything ever recorded by McCoy Tyner;

almost anything ever recorded by Dr. John or Leon Russell;

another vote for Whitlock on "Layla";

Chris Stainton (I think) on Joe Cocker's "Feelin' All Right";

Emerson with the Nice on "Hang on to a Dream" and "Azael Ra";

Nicky Hopkins with Quicksilver Messenger Service on "Edward the Mad Shirt Grinder";

Glenn Gould on any one of Bach's 32 "Goldberg Variations" (though I guess I have trouble listening to all 32 in one sitting, my bad);

Oscar Peterson - "Love for Sale";

Dave Brubeck - "Perdido";

and a piece by Rod Argent - for which I can't remember the title - but a pianistic tour-de-force that seemed to be mostly in Lydian mode. Haven't heard it for 20-25 years, maybe I won't like it so much now. But in the recesses of my memory, it remains brilliant...

Daf

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Archived